Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Wyndham Riverside Suites(San Antonio)
Crockett Hotel(San Antonio)
Menger Hotel(San Antonio)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshotel indigooffice buildinggibbs buildingbar bistrooriginal elevatorfront deskwood floorsthe river walkhistorical buildingvalet parkingunique hotelvalet servicecorner roomking suitelocation was perfectbed was very comfortableconvention center
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The hotel was clean, comfortable, close proximity to everything; and above all the staff was beyond friendly. I was very satisified with our stay and will be staying at this hotel again when we return to San Antonio. You can tell that all members, from the front desk clerk to the valet team, everyone prides themselves in working in such a great, historical building. It was very nice to have met the GM as well on our visit. He made it a point to introduce himself while we were at the bar. Thanks!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room that faces the alamo. Perfect view!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The location of this hotel is just perfect! Across the street from the Alamo, the Menger, Emily Morgan, two blocks from the River Walk. What more could you ask for??? This was my first visit to San Antonio and I'm already planning a return.
Check-in was so easy (I am Platinum with the hotel chain) and when I asked for a view, Angela said "No Problem!". I was even paying with points so I thought I might not be so lucky but our room was amazing! A King Suite, 7th floor, huge bathroom, sitting room with pull out sofa, large bedroom with incredible views from every window. The whole art-deco feeling from the faux-elevator doors in the lobby to the heart-pine floors in the rooms is really something. There was a drinking fountain from the original office building when we got off the elevator and I swear you could sense what it must have been like at breaktime in that building 100 years ago. I personally love this sort of rehabilitation of a building that could have been razed to put up some concrete and glass monstrosity but wasn't. It's been given new life and is vibrant and welcoming.
People have complained about the parking. I asked one of the valets where they parked the cars and he told me 3.5 blocks away and that he's lost 10 lbs. since working there. I have to say that my car was at the front door before I could get down the elevator. As were two others behind me. I think these young people are doing a wonderful job!
Other complaints I've read were to the cleanliness of the rooms. It is an OLD, VERY OLD building. It is charming because of this. If you want a spotless, carpeted, regular hotel room, go stay at the Marriott.
Ah, the restaurant!!! When we were there, 1909 Bistro had just been voted best by popular vote in the "Taste of San Antonio" competition. Quite a coup for a hotel restaurant in competition with some very heavy hitters. Well, no wonder! Salsa that is to die for (I am from Los Angeles originally and pine for good Mexican food), so fresh and just delicious. Fish tacos, yumm! Breakfast was wonderful, too. Huevos rancheros. Good Margaritas (well not at breakfast)! Cruz is the manager and he introduced us to his staff (his "family") and we met a wonderful young lady, Fatima, who was only on her 2nd week working but who, I hope, will become a fixture there. Mucho simpatico and a great spirit among the staff.
To wrap up, I will most definitely make my return trip to San Antonio staying at the Indigo. It was marvelous!!!

Room Tip: If you want an incredible view and bigger room, ask for an upper floor ending in 14.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The location of the Hotel is Great!! 2 blocks from the Riverwalk, The Alamo. But when I went into the room, I was very dissappointed because it's VERY SMALL!!!!! there was NO dresser so all of your clothes have to stay in your luggage, there were no hanggers. There was a cockroach on the bathroom, ants on the bed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Hugo Y
alamoindigo, General Manager at Hotel Gibbs Downtown San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Hugo Y,

Thank you for posting a review about your experience here at the Hotel Indigo at the Alamo. Unfortunately it is cricket season in San Antonio and due the the sever drought they find their way into the building in search of water. The same thing is also happening with the ants. We are a historical building, over 100 years old, and that leads to some rooms on the smaller side. In an effort to keep the building as a historic landmark we kept the same footprint as the original office spaces. I have found that not everyone likes to stay in a historical building, but I think it can be charming. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your short stay with us.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Not enough can be said about this hotel. Rooms were all clean and had no problems. Some rooms might be small but if you understand that this is a historical building where they were very limited on what they can do when building it. I like that every room I went into was different with original wood floors. Parking we did not need but it was not any different than any other hotel you would find in a downtown metro area. The staff is Awesome, Cruz and his staff really did a spectacular job taking care of everyone in our group. Even going above and beyond what we ever expected. The Bistro had great food and drinks and even live entertainment on Saturday night. Even if you are not staying in at the hotel stop in and have a bite to eat. Hope we are able to return to this Hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tony V
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This was our first trip to San Antonio. We flew out for only for 1 night. Went with my sister and young nieces.
This hotel is the perfect location if you want to do the Riverwalk and Alamo.
We arrived in San Antonio about noon and decided to take the city bus from the airport to the hotel. Fare is only 1.10 each way and the kids were .55.
I absolutely loved this hotel! I loved that it used to be a office building. It has such character!!!!
The only thing I wish the room had was a a fridge.
If I am here again, I would definately stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor right across from the elevator-
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family