“San antonio trip to the haunted hotel”

Hotel Indigo San Antonio At The Alamo
Ranked #69 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Beaufort, South Carolina
“San antonio trip to the haunted hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

Beds were comfortable and location was great. Showers could have used a little more water pressure. AC fan was so loud it drowned out the TV and kept waking me up the first night. Elevator broke and trapped some of our people twice. It is an old building and supposedly haunted by ghost from the battle for th Alamo. Part of the building lies within the original Alamo walls. The staff was excellent and made you feel they were happy you were there. Overall if the fans for he AC/heater could be made a lot less noisy it would have been excellent. I would stay here again if I return to San Antonio, if just for the location. It is on the edge of all the good stuff.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

The bf and I stayed at the Hotel Indigo from December 30th until January 2nd and were very content here. The building retains its original charm and the staff was very attentive and friendly.

The original terrazzo floors are in the hallway as well as the glass from the previous offices. The wood floors are very nice too. No nasty carpet to deal with.

The rooms are left in the original size of the previous offices so you can end up with an oddly shaped room.

We had a room on the 6th floor and it was spotless. We overlooked the Alamo and Christmas tree in the plaza. It was lovely.

The bathroom was very clean and there are Aveda bath products. The A/C unit is a bit noisy but not unbearable and we just turned up the radio which had a jack for my IPAD. No biggie.

The beds are very comfortable with crisp white linens. My only complaint is the pillows are super large and super hard foam that does not give. We ended up with a sore neck a couple of nights. My bf actually used the pillow on the chair because it was more comfortable.

The hallways can be a teensy bit loud when full of drunken revelers so be warned.

The valet was prompt and courteous. To the people complaining about the fees, have you ever valet parked in a major city before? The fees are normal. If that is your only complaint, please be quiet.

All in all, it was a great stay. Thanks for helping us start our new year on a great note!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better, away from th elevators. Ice machines are on every other floor.
1 Thank LoveNYC_11
Abilene, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel during a company business trip and we were with a large group during our week long stay. From the beginning I noticed how friendly and accommodating the staff was. They went out of their way to be sure we were taken care of. I asked for a special item and the staff remember what I liked and without me asking brought that item during lunch and on the following days. Today it is hard to find good customer service. I was very impressed. The staff was all friendly, location was great and history of building was astonishing. Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: 404 was a great room and spacious compared to others.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kathy Z
Tomball
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Indigo for 2 nights between Christmas and NYE. The hotel property is very nice. The furnishings and bed was VERY comfortable and I found the hotel to be clean. The only thing I didn't like was the AC/heat units. They work great but are extremely loud, so loud that they will keep you up at night. I sleep with a CPAP so I'm used to noise but this noise was too hard to ignore. You have to turn up the TV to hear it when the unit is running. Its an old building, built in 1909, and its very lovely and I'm sure they tried to do what they could to retrofit the heating/cooling situation but this still is not very good. The Emily was also an office building at one time and I've stayed there several times and the HVAC is not even noticeable there.

My advice would be if you are a very heavy sleeper then this is the hotel for you. Its sad that this one thing had to ruin an otherwise almost perfect place.

Pets can stay here for a $35 fee.

Room Tip: Pick a corner room on a high floor
2 Thank sopransfan
Bourbonnais, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

The Hotel Indigo at the Alamo is easy walking distance to that attraction and the transportation hub of San Antonio. We were on the 4th floor and could see the wall of the Alamo from our window. We had a great deal with a Groupon and ate in the 1909 Bar and Bistro two evenings and 1 breakfast. Mike is a most informative waiter and aims to please.

Room Tip: We were opposite the elevator and had no problem with that noise the ice machine was noisier. A hig...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank retiredteacher09
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

We purchased a hotel deal to go to Hotel Indigo off of Groupon. It was only $80 & it included the room, free valet parking, and a $20 credit to the restaurant. We decided to go for Christmas Eve. When we arrived the front desk clerk was so very nice and informative. In less than 5 minutes of arriving we already had our car taken care of, checked in, and were given vouchers for our $20 restaurant credit, as well as some complimentary drink cards, and some information on local restaurants in the area. It was all very handy. The room was so very comfortable. It had hard wood floors so we didn't have to worry about walking around on a dirty carpet and it had a personal thermostat instead of one of those cheesy hotel fans that makes it either too cold or too warm. After we had dinner on the Riverwalk we came back to use our vouchers in the bar/restaurant. The moment we walked in to the restaurant we knew we had made a big mistake by not eating there. It was so quite and comfortable with windows from the floor to ceiling with a wonderful view of the area and the Christmas lights. Our bartender/server PATRICK truly made our entire night. He was so warm, welcoming, and overall a pleasure to spend Christmas Eve around. He genuinely talked to us as people not as customers whom he was trying to get a tip from. We ended up ordering the triple dipper (chips with their homemade salsa, queso, and guacamole) which was delicious! Even after a full dinner we finished the huge portion. We had a few drinks and then ordered 2 hot cocoa's and 2 desserts to take back to our room. Patrick made us the best hot cocoa ever from scratch, not a packet, and was very hospitable while making sure to customize each of our own hot cocoa's to our personal liking. They loaded everything up where we took it back to our room and wrapped up the night watching Christmas movies on TV. And if I forgot to mention our hotel room gave us the absolutely most perfect view of the Christmas tree, the Alamo, the Tower of Americas, and so so much more all lit up at night. It was like a dream. The next morning we left and just like before check out was easy, quick, and everybody was a pleasure. Considering it was Christmas Eve/Christmas Day that we were there everybody was thoroughly happy and seemed to truly enjoy their jobs there. The hotel itself was very nice. Stayed very true to it's original allure while still being modern. Overall we had an amazing experience and will gladly pay full price to go there and stay there again in the future when we need a hotel. And we will definitely be back to visit our favorite bartender/server Patrick at their restaurant. We give it an A++.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 806 & it had quite a wonderful view of the skyline of the city & the Chris...
1 Thank Christina P
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

Good place to stay in San Antonio - if I return I will definitely stay here again. All in all, I think this hotel exceeds expectations in the things I consider important (location, service, bed, cleanliness) and falls a little short in the things that are extras (restaurant, free internet).

The hotel is in a great location - virtually across the street from the Alamo and walking distance to every downtown attraction. I visited in the winter so walking was no problem, but the Alamo Dome would be a hike if it were summer time but I think that is true for any hotel in this area. I did not notice any street noise at all and found the whole hotel quiet and serene.

My room had a slight view of the Alamo which could have been greatly improved if the windows were not bolted shut. Great old building with very large nice (but dirty) windows that cannot be opened. No tub in my bathroom which might be a concern for some families but fine with me. Great bed, very very comfortable. Nicely refurbished wood floors and quirky items scattered throughout the hotel. Original doors for all the elevators in front of the new modern elevators, some machinery in the basement which I am guessing was for the original elevator and on my floor (5th) there was some kind of walk in safe with multiple smaller compartments inside.

The service was very good. Front desk staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. I thought the valet was just a little slow, but nothing to complain about, I'd rather they are not in a hurry, zipping around downtown in cars they don't usually drive.

The free internet was a challenge, I was unable to connect all weekend. I could not get my IPad or my Android phone to connect. I spoke with another couple who both had Apple laptops who were also unable to connect. I even tried calling the support line (Time Warner) and they were no help. Fortunately, there is a business center with two computer for guest use that are both modern and fast. If you have to have internet access bring your own or have a back up plan.

Restaurant/Bar - It is acceptable but don't expect the food to be amazing and it is overpriced. Breakfast seemed a little better than dinner. My $10 hamburger seemed to come from a frozen patty. I would consider going elsewhere unless you really don't feel like leaving the hotel. The staff is good here, but they have a tough time keeping up when there is a rush.

Room Tip: The corner rooms looked bigger to me on the floor maps I saw. And anything on the corner by the Ala...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo