“Good with a few quirks”

Ranked #72 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
North Carolina
“Good with a few quirks”
Reviewed March 7, 2012

This Homewood Suites is like the typical. The upside of cookie-cutter properties is that you know what to expect. The downside is tedium. If you've ever stayed at a Homewood Suites then you already know what to expect. Here is how this one is different and a few observations.

It is right off 1604 (divided highway). There are a couple of places to eat nearby (walking distance) but not many. However, one exit down the highway are a series of strip centers (Target, Lowe's, grocery stores, fast food etc). I found the signage a little lacking. I could see the hotel - but there are a number of businesses with different entrances and the hotel's sign was hard to locate initially.

The room has no doors except for the bathroom door - which is unusually large. It's as though the design was for an accessible room but then they changed their minds. The problem is that the door blocks the closet and sink area. If you are alone it's not a proble. If you have a couple of folks trying to get ready in the morning it would be a bigger annoyance.

The bathroom is shower only (no tub). That was fine for me, and the website may actually tell you that and I just missed it, but if I were travelling with kids and needed a tub that would have been a surprise for me.

I thought the breakfast was a little unusual in that there were no eggs. There was bacon one day and suusage the next, there were carb options (bread, oatmeal, pancakes etc) but no eggs. I was there for 2 days and it was the same both days - I thought that was strange.

The room is quite large. The kitchen is stocked with plates and utensils etc so it is quite functional. The bed and linens are good quality. The bath towels could stand to be updated - reminded me of the gym towels issued at the YMCA.

Overall it was quite fnctional - not luxurious - but functional with a few quirks.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed February 29, 2012

What a great place to stay! Nice, clean, spacious rooms and very pleasant staff. The two complimentary meals are adequate and tea and coffee are available day and night. Great location right next door to the best church in the world - BONUS!

Pearland, Texas
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We stayed for two nights and found this hotel very welcoming and convenient for our trip. Suite rooms with separate bedroom and living area was a big plus. Free breakfast was good and offered many choices for everyone. Will definitely stay here again.

Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed February 16, 2012

My daughter left her ring on he floor in the bathroom with her pajamas. When we came back, it was gone. I reported it to the night shift, but when I checked back in the morning, the next shift knew nothing about the report. He said he would check with housekeeping. He acted bothered by the request when I came back after breakfast and told me housekeeping did not open until 10 AM - as if I should know when they get there. He told my husband when we left that they would contact us - never did. This was a very special ring for my daughter, and she was pretty upset. We will not be staying with Homewood Suites again.

2 Thank cedarparkmom
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I stayed for 1 night during a business trip to San Antonio. The hotel is very similar to what one would expect with a Residence Inn with rooms that resemble a studio apartment with a sleeping area, bathroom, living area, kitchen, and a small eating area. Also included was a free breakfast that included scrambled eggs, sausage or bacon, waffle machines, etc.

My room was spacious and very comfortable for my short stay. I can only assume I would have continued to remain comfortable for an extended stay as the room really had everything you could ask for. This hotel was selected due to its proximity to our company's office in San Antonio, however, due to the flow of traffic on the loop, we actually had to drive through some of the side streets behind the hotel in order to get to our office to the east. Not a big deal but a little bit of an inconvenience. Still, I wouldn't hesitate from staying here again in the future.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed January 20, 2012

We have had wonderful reviews and comments from our many guests that we book at the Homewood Suites. Our International guests enjoy the friendliness of the staff and the generous breakfast and evening dinner. The rooms are spacious so guests do not feel cooped up in a mega room property that was skimping on floor space.

This is the number one requested property from our many guests that visit.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 19, 2012

This is my preferred hotel when I am in San Antonio, which is very often. The amenities, staff, location and food are Awesome!!!! It's great checking into a hotel where the staff know me by name and know exactly my room preference without even having to call prior to my arrival. It's a very clean and accommodating hotel, too. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone that is looking for a hotel that is going to give you A BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!!!!!! Oh yeah and the heated pool, basketball court and gas grills were A BONUS for our family!!!!!

Room Tip: We prefer the first floor because it's closer to the lobby and parking lot but everyone prefers...