“It was all good until...”

Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk
Ranked #13 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“It was all good until...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

The hotel is close to The River Walk and very nice when you walk into the lobby. The front desk guy checked us in quickly and easily and was extremely nice and helpful. The room was spacious and nice and the beds were comfortable. I was all good until I woke up in the middle of the night and had to go to the bathroom. In the bathroom I saw two baby roaches. Ugh! I HATE roaches, but it was the middle of the night and I did not want to wake everyone so I just quietly made sure that all bags were up off of the floor and in a high place and tried to go back to sleep, which was difficult. In the morning my friend told me that she too had gone to the bathroom in the middle of the night and saw approximately 3 or 4 roaches. So before we checked out we had to shake out all of our clothes before re-packing out bags and shook out again and washed all of out clothes immediately upon our return home to make sure that we had not brought home any "friends". This is why I don't like staying in hotels.

Room Tip: Get one without roaches.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Comfort_Suites_Owner, Owner at Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your stay with us. We are very sorry for the inconvenience you experienced with regards to an insect in your room. I want to ensure you that this is a rarity at our hotel as we spend a majority of our housekeeping efforts on ensuring the bathrooms and guest rooms are spotless for our guests. Moreover, I have already personally made sure that our monthly pest manager makes an extra effort to ensure that all public and private areas in the hotel are 100% pest free. Once again we do apologize for this inconvenience as we don’t claim to be perfect but we do strive for perfection, so we are sorry for this issue. We hope that this did not prevent you from enjoying the rest of your stay with us as we are glad that you found our location and rooms very convenient and comfortable. We hope that you do decide to stay with us in the future so that we may exceed your expectations and provide you with wonderful stay that you won’t forget. Thank you again for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Turkish first
Joinville, SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

The hotel is next to an interstate, being a bit noisy, but nothing that hinders sleep. The breakfast has good variety. The hotel is located a quick walk from the Alamo and Riverwalk, about 15 min. The last stretch of the walk is a bit isolated, but nevertheless we felt safe. The room is big and clean and the hotel offers a happy hour. Parking costs $ 20 and has a covered area that is underneath the interstate. One tip, it is possible to make an alternative path through the Rivercenter mall and straight out on the riverwalk.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Izabel_zattar_01
Comfort_Suites_Owner, Owner at Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is great to hear that you found our hotel to be a great value for downtown San Antonio and that you enjoyed much of what the Comfort Suites has to offer, including our full hot breakfast every morning as well as our Manager’s Wine & Cheese Reception (Tues-Thurs 5-7pm). I do want to just clarify that our parking fee is $15/night (not $20) which includes all of the parking out front of the hotel as well as the covered spaces underneath the freeway adjacent to the hotel and which is gated (we also have a security guard at night). Once again, thank you for finding time to give us with your positive feedback; we hope to see you again soon!
Odessa, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

My family was very pleased with our stay at Comfort Suites River Walk! This hotel was 2 blocks from the mall. Which is right next to the Alamo and the river walk! I recommend staying here! Very nice and comfy!!! We will stay here next time too. AAAA++++

Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Melinda Y
Thank you for your feedback from your very enjoyable stay at our hotel. We are so glad that you found our location near the Alamo and River Walk to be close enough to walk (3 blocks or 10-15 mins) and that you also took advantage of the nearby mall. We truly appreciate your praise over the quality and comfort of our hotel, and we definitely look forward to your next visit!
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I had the lovley pleasure of staying at this hotel while in town for a conference last weekend. I admit that I'm a bit meticulous when it comes to assessing the comfort and quality of hotels because I stay in so many so often for work and travel. After all, marketing and promotion can sometimes be misleading. NOT THE CASE here! This hotel is truly special. It feels quaint and charming, yet it has ALL of the amenities and truthfully, EVEN MORE, than some incredibly large hotels. My experience was fantastic! The decor is lovely, and the staff was incredibly hospitable and accommodating. They went above and beyond to ensure that I had everything I needed, and even anticipated some of my needs for the following morning. Wow! A real concierge service without the bureaucracy :-). My room was spacious and impeccably clean, with new features to boot! The breakfast was awesome. They offered an unending variety of options. Indeed, it was not a continental breakfast, but an authentic hot breakfast! The parking was free with the promotion I obtained, and I felt it safe and secure. Additionally, the hotel is located in the city center. Literally, walking distance. This turned out to be a perfect choice for me!
Thanks to my stay here, my day began splendidly. I genuinely hope others have an equally beneficial stay!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for providing us with such positive feedback; more importantly, we are glad that you had such a wonderful stay at our hotel. It is delightful to hear that you experienced great customer service throughout your stay at our hotel during the conference you attended while in town, as we truly pride ourselves on doing the very best we can for each and every guest. We are also delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hot breakfast, amenities and décor of the hotel, as we wanted to create a more authentic San Antonio feel to this “boutique-like” hotel. Overall, we are pleased that you found our property so convenient and that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. Thank you again for the feedback, and we hope to see you again soon!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I got an inaccurate impression of this hotel from previous posts. So this may help: When the cab dropped me off, I asked if this was the right place as it appeared to be under a freeway flyover with no city in sight, but had been marketed as "4 blocks from Riverwalk". It is indeed situated on the "wrong side" of, and overshadowed by, an incoming freeway. It is, in fact, only a short walk to the city centre and Riverwalk - but you have to walk under the freeway (where, one suspects, people warm themselves around burning drums in winter) and over a bunch of semi-deserted parking lots. I'd be a bit hesitant to make the walk in the dead of night. The hotel staff are friendly and efficient. The hotel is nice. It is definitely tourist class, but spotless, rooms are spacious, comfortable, all necessary amenities, well maintained, nice bed. Bathroom spotless with extras. Breakfast - not bad food actually, pastries were a bit stale. And I don't like polystyrene plates and plastic cutlery - but I can live with that. I'm a bit of a gym junkie - the "fitness centre" is actually a small room with a treadmill, step machine and barbells. Luckily I seemed to be the only one using it while there. (Note to management: An exercise mat and pilates ball would make a big improvement - at least you could do a sit-up then). After the initial disappointment about location, I was quite happy with this hotel and thought it was good value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Comfort_Suites_Owner, Owner at Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are very glad that you did enjoy your stay at our hotel and were very happy with the value that we offered for a downtown hotel. We do apologize that you were slightly confused about the exact location of our hotel; however, we are in fact only 4 blocks from the River Walk which can be seen on Google maps or through the interactive map on hour hotel’s website. And yes, we are conveniently located right near I-37 and one must exit Houston Street to get to our hotel, and Houston Street has the AT&T Center (where the Spurs basketball team plays) at one end and The Alamo at the other end – we are located only 3 blocks from The Alamo. So this underpass (I-37 & Houston St) is actually beautifully lit at night with color changing LEDs because it has a high traffic volume of San Antonio tourists and residents. We are so happy to be conveniently located close enough to all the major attractions in downtown San Antonio so that guests can walk where ever they want to go. Regardless, a cab ride is only $5-10 to anywhere in downtown from our hotel if one is physically unable to make the walk. We also provide a limited shuttle that does drop offs only from our hotel into downtown (Mon-Sat 9am-9pm). Lastly, I will definitely follow through on your recommendation to get the exercise ball and exercise mats for our fitness center so that all the future guests can benefit – this is a great idea. We are glad to hear that you had overall great experience at our hotel and we hope that you decide to stay with us again in your future travels to San Antonio.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

The comfort suites on 1-37 - Live Oak Street - is really wonderful. They offer the comfort of home to travel. The staff is very accommodating. The rooms are spacious, clean, well-appointed with desk, internet, couch, comfy bed and pillows, nice bedding, safe, refrigerator, nice big bathroom and lots of soft towels. Really, it's as nice as a 4 star resort as far as comfort and convenience. The beds are big and fresh and clean and welcoming at the end of a long day of walking. The riverwalk is very close by. They include breakfast with eggs and make-your-own texas shaped waffles and much more and are so helpful if you need anything. They even have an afternoon reception with wine, cheese, grapes, chips and salsa. Georgia was responsible and did a great job for the afternoon reception. Aaron at the front desk was extremely helpful with check in and directions and so friendly. We loved staying here and would choose it again! The lobby area has comfy chairs and nice tables to spend time in also.

Room Tip: Aaron at the front desk selected our 2 rooms for us - even adjoining rooms - and they were both wond...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
We want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to write such candid, positive comments about our hotel. We are truly elated to hear that you had such a wonderful experience at our hotel. We are glad that we had all the amenities you desired and more. It is also nice to hear that you took advantage of our hotel being so close to The Alamo and River Walk that you decided to make the trek on foot back and forth from our hotel in order to see all the historical buildings and local shops along the way. It is also delightful to hear that you took advantage of not only our full hot breakfast in the morning (including the Texas waffles) but also the Manager’s Wine & Cheese Reception that we have Tues-Thurs from 5-7pm every week which offers a great opportunity to mingle with some of the other guests as well as meet some of our amazing managers. Most importantly, we are glad that you experienced superior guest service at our hotel from not only the front desk staff but also our Food & Beverage Director, as we all truly do our best to satisfy every guest and exceed their expectations. Thank you again providing us with your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Room #217 smelled like stinky feet, air conditioning did not work, carpet looked dirty, if you look between the furniture it was dirty with debris, closet wall was scuffed up with black markings, hotel rooms look older then it looks on pictures, bathroom looks wore down, check in took along time because receptionist took care off phone calls first and she was not friendly, safe was an extra charge and did not open after locked even with managers assistance, refrigerator does not have a freezer space for ice packs, tv took forever to go from one channel to the next for example: 12a, 12b, 12c, 13..., washer on second level near window did not rinse all soap out of clothes even after second wash, on the last night (3) my nieces and I woke up with bug bites that itched.
Room #215 my sister and family stayed in, carpet was not vacuumed upon arriving and had debris along walls and furniture, bathroom sink slow to drain, bug bites on occupants. Same washer failed to work properly.
After stating these issues to the manager she gave one night credit, parking, and safe credit to #217 nothing to #215. I left message to manager about bug bites and washer issue but have not heard from this hotel.
Words of advice stay in a newer hotel and drive to Riverwalk.

• Stayed October 2013
4 Thank dhsteelerfan
Mrs_C_OWNER, Owner at Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with you feedback regarding your recent stay. We would like to start by apologizing for the inconveniences and issues during your stay, but we can assure you that this experience is a rarity at our hotel as we treasure our property and value the quality and cleanliness of it in order to satisfy each and every one of our guests.

All of our suites are in very good condition as our hotel is only 5 years old as of this coming November 2013. As the owner (and frequent traveler), I made it a point, during the construction and design of our hotel, to not only select furniture and fixtures throughout the hotel that are Tuscan and Spanish (with some local Texan accent points) but that are also inherently high quality and durable to endure the high volume of guests that we planned on having at our hotel. As an owner/operator for more than 30 years, I was not going to sacrifice quality/aesthetics for the much needed durability, so in order to get both – it came at quite a significant expense for a small family operated business and it far exceeds the industry average. However, I do want to apologize for any issues with items in your room, as this is the nature of the hotel industry, but we are always more than willing to repair/replace any items that are not working properly as long as we are notified during one’s stay.

I made it a point to go and check both of your rooms personally with our Executive Housekeeper after your stay, and we have made sure all of the issues that you experienced have been thoroughly resolved. I am sorry about the bug bites, but much to our relief, we could not find any in your rooms (we do use bed bug protectors on all pillows and mattresses). We also went ahead and doubled checked nearly 20 other rooms within the vicinity and happily found this not to be an issue. I have also checked our guest laundry equipment with our Director of Maintenance and it is also working fine now, but we have also contacted a laundry tech to double all the equipment. We truly appreciate your feedback on these types of issues so that we, as hands-on managers, can go and quickly resolve these issues for the remainder of your stay and future guests. It keeps us on point and our property looking great.

I also want to mention that we upgrading our entire bedding package to Comfort Suites’ new Truly Yours bedding package which is an immaculate, clean, all-white look that is very comfortable and appealing, and it can be seen on Choice Hotels’ website. This bedding package will be implemented at our hotel no later than January 1, 2014; moreover, after receiving feedback from other guests about our pillows, those will also all be replaced in the next 2 weeks with much larger pillows with the option of either “firm” or “soft” pillows available on every bed.

Lastly, I am sorry that you did not feel that you were appropriately compensated for the issues you experienced at our hotel, but we all truly care about our guests so please reach out to me personally via phone or email and I would gladly discuss everything further with you. We would truly like the opportunity to serve you again in the future and prove that we can exceed your service standards and provide you with an unforgettable experience. Thank you again for providing us with your feedback.