“Clean, relatively quiet”

Ranked #14 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Keller, Texas
“Clean, relatively quiet”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My family recently stayed at this hotel. I was very impressed with the breakfast selection (free!), the room sizes, and cleanliness. The hotel is a short stroll from the Riverwalk. The Alamo is even closer. That being said, if you are going on a VACATION and want to be ON the Riverwalk, you will want a different hotel. However, if you just want to be close to the Riverwalk, this one is great. We were there with a lot of other family members and we played games (dominoes, etc) in their lounge in the evenings. It was very nice. Some in our party took advantage of appetizers and drinks in the evenings, too. I would definitely stay there again.

2 Thank marilynt_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Turkish first
Kent, Washington
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We arrived at 12:30pm and much to our surprise our room was all ready and we could check in. I just wanted to let them know we were here and ask if we could leave our car. We got a good deal with the parking included in our rate.

The room itself was huge, the only issue we had was that the bathroom door stuck when trying to shut it. We did mention this upon check out. Along with the 2 queen beds there was the couch, refrigerator, microwave and desk. The pillows were a little small for me and even doubling them up wasn't enough. With 2 queen beds one side of each bed was really close to the wall. A little tight for me but we were there for only 1 night. We had a room on the 5th floor and we were over looking the freeway which we did not hear maybe because the air conditioning was too loud.

When we were checking in they informed us they charge a small fee for the in room safe and if you don't use it have it taken off when you check out. We got the bill the next morning and there was no fee on it and the clerk verified that. Also being our flight was not leaving til 730 pm we asked it we could keep our car there for the day and she said certainly, just keep the parking pass in it. You can choose to park under the freeway if you so desire but we did not.

Breakfast was plentiful however it was cold. When they filled it up a few minutes later the eggs, ham and potatoes were all warm. There were lots of people and tables were scarce even though there were several tables.

The pool was small and there were no towels so I had to steal some from the fitness center.
The pool also had murky water and small pebbles in the bottom of the 5 ft section. A girl commented that the rocks were there yesterday too. I really wanted to go in the hot tub but there were way too many people in it. The pool was ok for getting the refreshed feeling.

Sioux Falls, SD
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at Comfort Suites for a few nights while in San Antonio. The room was clean and the staff was very friendly. We especially liked the breakfast. There were really great choices and we found the staff at breakfast time to be especially helpful and nice. The hotel had a good location with safe parking. The bathroom in our room could have used some maintenance attention, but overall a great experience.

Temple, Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were there from wed-fri., before Labor day weekend. Not alot of children! Check-in was a breeze, as well as checking out. Breakfast was good, lots to choose from and the happy hour was just an added bonus. Would I book this place again? ABSOLUTELY!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York, United States
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was here for an extended stay and found the hotel comfortable and convenient.

What I liked: Nice pool (smaller than the picture, but large hot tub), nice breakfast, big room, nice bathroom, easy 10 min walk to alamo/riverwalk and they offered an evening shuttle, free beer/wine with small appetizers tues/wed/thurs.

What I didn't like: Small exercise room (one rack or weights, a treadmill, and a stair-stepper), the room was a little on dark so I usually had my curtains open. Paying for parking and a safe deposit. Finally, the pillows are oddly small and aren't great and the bed a little lumpy. Overall, the hotel was still pretty good.

Other observations, Georgia the food/service manager is amazing and very friendly. The staff was always helpful and courteous. The hotel has a 24 hr snack bar that offers water, gatorade, and soda...very helpful in the texas heat when you are coming back from the river walk late at night. Also, dont forget! If you do walk down to the Alamo or riverwalk, they have a gate in the back of their parking lot that is unlocked till midnight, it saves you from having to walk all the way around the block.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Randy W
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Fabulous hotel, service out of this world. Free happy hour with munchies made the day great. Walking distance to the Alamo and free shuttle to Riverwalk. It does not get any better than this! My family and I decided to drive from Houston to visit San Antonio and believe me, we were not disappointed. Only regret is that we did not have enough time to see everything but we do plan to return very soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was recently in San Antonio for business and stayed at the Comfort Suites Alamo. I had stayed there a few months back and, except for the location near a freeway, was pleased enough to come back. So, here are my thoughts:

The good:
Customer service is great! The front desk people are friendly, helpful and responsive. I had to be at my training early every day so the breakfast room let me come in a bit early to grab breakfast before I left (this was the same situation at my previous stay with the same accomodation). They also had a bag breakfast I could take if I wanted to in lieu of the regular one. The lady who manages the evening wine and cheese event is very friendly! She is always asking how everyone is doing, giving recommendations for local sights, restaurants, asking about their stay there, etc. My housekeeper, Yvette, left me a personal note on the first day! Wow...in many many years of traveling all over the world I have NEVER had that happen! Yvette, I told you people should be told when they do a great job and promised you I was going to name you on Trip Advisor and here it is! The rooms are clean and well appointed. I was able to get a special rate this time that offered free parking so that was a plus. They will also drive you to the Riverwalk area. It's actually just about a 10 min walk but they will take you if you desire.

The bad:
The major thing that I hate about this hotel is the location right next to the freeway. For traveling the area, it's a plus but for general peace and quiet...not so much. But I can't change that so it's just something to deal with and consider if you are staying here. Other than that the next thing is "get some new pillows"!!!!! The pillows seems like little squares you put on your couch with pillowcases on them...so uncomfortable and inconvenient. Please, please, please, do one thing more to accomodate your guests and get some regular sized pillows. If I slept better I might be even MORE complimentary!

The ugly: This did not happen last time I stayed but I was in a corner room this time and so happy when I walked in and saw TWO windows. Until I opened one and had a lovely view of....the back of a billboard. <sigh>

Overall a good stay and the positives definitely outweigh the negatives. If it weren't for their great customer service I might not return because of the traffic noise but it was impressive enough to have me come back for a second visit (and possibly a third in Oct if they can get some new pillows! :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business