“Nice hotel, friendly staff, good location”

Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk
Ranked #11 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was here for an extended stay and found the hotel comfortable and convenient.

What I liked: Nice pool (smaller than the picture, but large hot tub), nice breakfast, big room, nice bathroom, easy 10 min walk to alamo/riverwalk and they offered an evening shuttle, free beer/wine with small appetizers tues/wed/thurs.

What I didn't like: Small exercise room (one rack or weights, a treadmill, and a stair-stepper), the room was a little on dark so I usually had my curtains open. Paying for parking and a safe deposit. Finally, the pillows are oddly small and aren't great and the bed a little lumpy. Overall, the hotel was still pretty good.

Other observations, Georgia the food/service manager is amazing and very friendly. The staff was always helpful and courteous. The hotel has a 24 hr snack bar that offers water, gatorade, and soda...very helpful in the texas heat when you are coming back from the river walk late at night. Also, dont forget! If you do walk down to the Alamo or riverwalk, they have a gate in the back of their parking lot that is unlocked till midnight, it saves you from having to walk all the way around the block.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Randy W

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Fabulous hotel, service out of this world. Free happy hour with munchies made the day great. Walking distance to the Alamo and free shuttle to Riverwalk. It does not get any better than this! My family and I decided to drive from Houston to visit San Antonio and believe me, we were not disappointed. Only regret is that we did not have enough time to see everything but we do plan to return very soon.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was recently in San Antonio for business and stayed at the Comfort Suites Alamo. I had stayed there a few months back and, except for the location near a freeway, was pleased enough to come back. So, here are my thoughts:

The good:
Customer service is great! The front desk people are friendly, helpful and responsive. I had to be at my training early every day so the breakfast room let me come in a bit early to grab breakfast before I left (this was the same situation at my previous stay with the same accomodation). They also had a bag breakfast I could take if I wanted to in lieu of the regular one. The lady who manages the evening wine and cheese event is very friendly! She is always asking how everyone is doing, giving recommendations for local sights, restaurants, asking about their stay there, etc. My housekeeper, Yvette, left me a personal note on the first day! Wow...in many many years of traveling all over the world I have NEVER had that happen! Yvette, I told you people should be told when they do a great job and promised you I was going to name you on Trip Advisor and here it is! The rooms are clean and well appointed. I was able to get a special rate this time that offered free parking so that was a plus. They will also drive you to the Riverwalk area. It's actually just about a 10 min walk but they will take you if you desire.

The bad:
The major thing that I hate about this hotel is the location right next to the freeway. For traveling the area, it's a plus but for general peace and quiet...not so much. But I can't change that so it's just something to deal with and consider if you are staying here. Other than that the next thing is "get some new pillows"!!!!! The pillows seems like little squares you put on your couch with pillowcases on them...so uncomfortable and inconvenient. Please, please, please, do one thing more to accomodate your guests and get some regular sized pillows. If I slept better I might be even MORE complimentary!

The ugly: This did not happen last time I stayed but I was in a corner room this time and so happy when I walked in and saw TWO windows. Until I opened one and had a lovely view of....the back of a billboard. <sigh>

Overall a good stay and the positives definitely outweigh the negatives. If it weren't for their great customer service I might not return because of the traffic noise but it was impressive enough to have me come back for a second visit (and possibly a third in Oct if they can get some new pillows! :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank caminhsv
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay. We stayed there for Labor Day weekend. The continental breakfast was really good, with a lot to choices on what to eat. They even had a waffle maker that makes Texas shaped waffles. The staff was really friendly and helpful. They seem to really like there job. The covered parking was nice. Our room was nice too. We stayed on the 3rd floor - we had a view of the pool. We had a room near the elevator, but we did not ever hear people talking. The rooms are completely sound proof. The beds are a on the harder side so that's why I gave it a 3 for sleep quality, because I prefer a softer mattress. They do not have a restaurant or room service. They do have Free Wi-fi we used it and it worked great. They also have computers with a printer down stairs.

Room Tip: Have the staff recommend a place to eat. They gave us great suggestions. They even gave us a map and...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We checked in and our King with sofa room was a cave-like, dark room with strange blue light bulbs. Our first call to the front desk was to locate the channel guide. The front desk woman told us that the company had switched the line up and they hadn't received the printed copies yet. We thought they should have taken one copy from Cox,, put it on a word doc, print it out and tell the maids to put it in the rooms. So we had to figure that out for ourselves. The second time we called the front desk was to put in a disclaimer that the shower rod was so broken that the curtain would not stay up side to side, allowing water to go to the floor. She said "we have a lot of rooms like that so we are relying on guests to tell us so we can get them fixed"...really? I would rely on my maids to document that. The third call down was about WIFI...there IS NO WIFI AT THIS HOTEL!!!! We had to plug into the lanline!!! It was incredibly inconvenient! Because of these three alone we will NEVER stay there again. The carpet in our room was dirty, we had to wash our feet before going to bed and spread our towels out to walk on. The outside area was nice and it was a nice walk to the Riverwalk and Alamo. We were very particular to park on the hotel front because of the reviews about car break ins and the police collaboration of such. It is hard to imagine that this place was rated #3 in the area...

Room Tip: Pay attention to where you park, there is a high rate of crime there. If you can't park on the h...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Margaret B
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My party of six found this to be a great location, excellent quality, and tremendous value! We were very close to the attractions. An added bonus was the covered parking, which in Texas makes a significant difference in vehicle temperature.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Tolar1
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have never stayed in a hotel that matches this comfort suites! We felt so at home here. The room was huge and immaculate and the staff were so accommodating. In particular, Georgia, the happy hour hostess and Aaron at the front desk were wonderful. They were each so friendly and quick to make sure we were comfortable at all times. The pool and hot tub area are just beautiful and the hotel location is within easy walking distance of the Alamo and the river walk and a simple 20 minute drive from fiesta Texas. We will never stay anywhere else when we comets San Antonio!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple