“Nice Value, Close to Riverwalk”

Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area
Ranked #128 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
West Des Moines, Iowa
“Nice Value, Close to Riverwalk”
Reviewed June 7, 2010

This hotel was great for the budget minded traveler. Was clean and well kept and the breakfast was good. Only about a 3 block walk to the riverwalk. Only complaint was that the pool was small.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
ttribby, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this review, June 9, 2010
This just made my day!...what a wonderful review from such a valued customer!
You are right, our hotel is so conveniently located close to everything downtown.
And, our staff works hard, to make each guest leave with a "memorable" stay of
San Antonio and the Holiday Inn Exprss.
We appreciate hearing your feedback. We cannot wait to see you, the next time
you plan to visit San Antonio.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed May 16, 2010

this hotel is relatively close to all he attractions in the centre of San Antonio- definitely within easy walking distance. The reason i have scored it so low is due to the terrible noise made by the plumbing- pipes banging & pumping all night. It was so bad on my last night that at 12.30amn I asked to change rooms as i could not get to sleep because of the racket- even with ear plugs in, The maintenance guy the receptionist sent up to listen to the noise said it did happen from time to time & because the building is protected ( it is the old prison) they cannot fix the noise. Dont stay in room 206 & im sure you will be fine here!

the breakfast is tasty & plenty of hot coffee available all day, the staff are very friendly & helpful & refunded me half of my last nights stay as compensation for the noise

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
ttribby, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this review, May 18, 2010
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry this issue caused your stay
to be disappointing.
We are pleased to learn the staff was friendly & the breakfast was
tasty.
Please let us know, the next time you travel to San Antonio. We will ensure you are
taken care of, with exceptional service & placed in a guest room that is not disturbed by noise.
Thank you again.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 7, 2010

I stayed here for 3 weeks for business and had a great experience. The location is good for the cost although I did not feel at all safe in the area around the hotel after dark. The hotel itself was great. A historic building with lots of character. The staff were great, very accommodating and had lots of tips for restaurants and bars. I have travelled extensively for work and stayed in many hotels and this one nears the top of my list.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
ttribby, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this review, May 19, 2010
Thank you so much for the wonderful review.
We appreciate the feedback.
We strive hard to deliver a "memorable experience" to our guests.
We will share your comments with the Staff!
Please call us to make your reservartions, the next time you plan to visit San Antonio.
Herman, Nebraska
Reviewed December 30, 2009

We went to San Antonio to visit friends. We booked four nights, but due to the "Christmas Blizzard of 2009" in the middle states we ended up staying nine nights. The staff actually felt like friends by the time we left. Our room was spacious and comfortable. The closeness of the trollies and buses made it so easy to get around town. Getting a free senior citizen transportation pass meant that we rode the bus and trolly free all weekend and half price the rest of the time. The hot breakfast was very good and was a great savings. There is a Dominos Pizza right around the corner and several Mexican restaurants near by. Plenty to see and do within walking distance. I would never stay anywhere else if in San Antonio again. Love this place.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
ttribby, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this review, May 19, 2010
Thank you for the review & feedback.
We appreciate hearing your words & thoughts.
Please call us the next time you plan to visit San Antonio.
We would love to have you stay with us again!
florida
Reviewed December 11, 2009

We had a 4-night very pleasant experience at this hotel It is close to public transportation, so a car is not needed to to see the city. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your wonderful review.
We appreciate the feedback.
We strive hard to leave our guests with a "memorable experience" from San Antonio & the
Holiday Inn Express Riverwalk!
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 6, 2009

I was here Nov.29-Dec.5 rm. 212 for an educational conference. I did most of my survey of the building the night of Nov. 29. Contrary to a report, this building has 5 floors- not 3.
The room is surprisingly large. About 22 x 15 feet. The room was clean and was equipped with a table and a chair that was surprisingly comfortable to lean back onto. I had 2 queen beds. The beds were firm. Each bed had 4 pillows- 2 labeled firm and 2 labeled soft although I did not notice any difference between them.
There is a 20-25 inch TV with cable TV. Free wireless and wired internet which worked quite well. Watched a video on my netbook with few video pauses- not enough to irritate me. You can even print from the room and pick it up downstairs.
The locker or dresser did not have a door. They did not have DO NOT DISTURB sign that you can hang on the outside door.
There was a larger than the usual fridge, a microwave, coffeemaker, ice bucket, ironing board, hair dryer and a flatiron. One proble is the location of the coffee maker. It was on top of a cabinet making pouring the water in a little difficult unless you were taller than 6 feet. The combined A/C and heater worked well in my room. It was unusually warm when I arrived Nov. 29, so I turned on the A/C. The following week was quite cold and so I used the heater and it worked quite well. Note that the vents can be angled down at or away from the beds.
The bathroom was large, clean and stocked with plush towels stocked with shampoo, conditioner, and 2 bars of soap. They did not have a small lotion that I find in other economy hotels. The showerhead is quite large and as I was playing with it, I found that you can turn the large outer ring to change the spray pattern. The door opens diagonally to the room and if you turn the tv to the door, you can (no offense to anyone) be sitting in the potty and still be watching your favorite show. I know I did so since I was alone.
Pool- The hotel had a pool but do not be misled. It was a tiny one. About the size found in the backyard of most homes. It was closed so I was not able to go and get a more accurate measurement of it.
Breakfast- was surprisingly good. They had either scrambled eggs or egg and cheese. This was paired with either bacon or sausage patties. There was the usual fare of cinnamon rolls, bread, biscuit, coffee, tea, chocolate drink, boxed cereals, orange juice,tea,milk, gravy and cold hard boiled eggs (by the tray) found in a small ref. together with yogurt. It does get a little boring though to eat it for 7 mornings. The breakfast area would be a bit small if the hotel would be fully booked. Breakfast was at 6:30 a.m. (7 for Sat. and Sunday) but the eggs and meat came out usually much later-like 645 or 650. Guess they were still cooking it?
Staff= there is a small front desk manned by helpful people. I did not have the opportunity to interact much with the staff but from the small interaction that I did have, they were all helpful and very friendly. The front desk seemed to be staffed 24 hours. The lady I saw at 11p.m. was the same one I saw the next day at 6 a.m.
Facilities= there is a small business room with 2 computers and a printer. I was able to print my airplane boarding passes free of charge. During my stay, I did not see anybody using the computers.
There are 2 stairwells. One in the front and one at the rear of the building. There is a small stand at the ground floor front stairwell filled with brochures about San Antonio and its sights.
There is only one elevator located to the rear of the building.
Near the front stairs are located the following facilities
2nd floor- ice vending machine and a small machine vending simple medications like Tylenol. Beside it was a small exercise/fitness room with 3 machines. You need your room keycard to enter this room
3rd floor and 5th floor rear stairwell- soda vending machines
4th floor- ice vending machine
5th floor- laundry room. This room has only 1 high efficiency washer and dryer. Please check the washer for your clothes volume. I do not know the sizing of washers but it seems to have a small capacity. The price is $1.25 for both washer and dryer. There is a soap and fabric softener dispenser for $1.00 each. The dryer has a digital readout of the time left. It finished washing my clothes in 3o minutes. The dryer is a bit of a problem. Being electric, it did not feel as hot as my dryer back home. $1.25 runs for 1 hour (yes, I timed it!). My clothes were still damp after a cycle and I just ran another full cycle just to be sure my clothes were dry.
Location= if you make a rough square of downtown San Antonio, this hotel is found within but a little to the edge of the square. However, downtown San Antonio is not that big. I walked to most of the sights.
There is also a VIA trolley system that can get you to most of San Antonio. If you exit the hotel and turn right, you will reach Houston Street. Right at this corner is a stop for the Red line trolley. Around here is also a Domino’s pizza open till I think 1 a.m. If you decide to walk, making a right on Houston will get you to a Subway a few blocks down and further on a Walgreen pharmacy and an entrance to the Riverwalk. There is also a convenience store but I did not check it out. Continue onward and you end up at the Alamo.
The only downside I could say was that the walls were a bit thin. Guest speaking loudly at the hallway could be heard. The area location, however was quiet. There was a nearby interstate about 5 blocks away and I could not even, hear the traffic.
I chose this hotel cuz it was inexpensive and had a fridge, microwave, and a self serve laundry. I would come back to it again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank bigwawao
We appreciate your review & feedback.
Thank you very much!
Please call us the next time you plan to visit San Antonio,
We would love to have you as our guest again.
Weimar, Germany
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Fantastic position in the centre of San Antonio, right on the river walk and very near one of the spots where River Cruises begin. Easy to get to, lots of parking, rooms comfortable but small. However, desk staff were very rude when there was a problem with keys. When asked questions, other staff seemed either not to know, or care, basic answers to services at their hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank wsymes
Wow! what a great review.
We appreciate your feedback & use it to improve our service & product.
Please contact us first, the next time you plan to visit San Antonio.
We would love to have you with us again.