“Middle Class Fantastic”

Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area
Ranked #131 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This Holiday Inn Express is purely middle class fantastic! We stayed for 7 days. Our room was large and clean with bars on the window (from old jail days) and overlooked an old livery that is now law offices. It had a foyer area with a chair and a coffee/tea bar area that had a sink, dishwashing soap, paper towels and a basket with disposable plates, plastic cutlery and microwavable containers and opened into a large bedroom with a comfy bed that had both firm and soft pillows!.The bathroom was large and clean, as well, and stocked with toiletries. There are mirrors on the closet door, in the bathroom and when you enter the room.
The breakfast can only be described as a well stocked home kitchen complete with grandma cooking up eggs, sausage, biscuits, bacon in whatever way she chooses that day. There is also a cool pancake machine in the corner.
As if that weren't enough, the location is superb. You can take a right when exiting and right on Houston and walk to the Alamo (about 5 blocks) or go left to Commerce and left to be immediately by the Spanish Governor's mansion and one block further to the main plaza with the San Fernando Cathedral. The staff will arrange tours, although we walked everywhere and I will say that the town is totally walkable if physically fit. The hotel has super easy access to buses and trolleys.
There is a business center to print boarding passes and go online, that is also where they keep brochures on different attractions.
I want to talk about the pool. Yes, it is small but with the temps in the 60's and low 70's we used the spa twice after long site seeing days. The whole pool was heated and spa-like. We turned the jets on and it was so nice. When it's hot out, they do not heat it, we asked. The towels are stacked outside in a cupboard-like deal and you can leave your used pool towels out there as well.
So, why did I describe this as middle class fantastic? Because, we work hard, and were only looking for clean, reasonably priced, and in a decent location. Never did we expect to get all the little extras along with a wonderful, helpful staff. It was fantastic!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank learnedtraveler
JulianHIXRW, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2017

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this Holiday Inn Express! The location was convenient. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted downtown (to our rental car facility, the Alamo, the River Walk, the convention center and many other great places and restaurants. The hotel is also very close to the highway, so it was easy to get out of the city to visit our family and go to different wineries in the Hill Country. The staff at the hotel was also wonderful. They were always friendly and willing to go the extra mile to make sure we had a great stay! This hotel is a historical building, so the architecture is really neat. Also, we found it very convenient having a fridge and microwave in our room. I definitely recommend this Holiday Inn Express for folks traveling to San Antonio. If you have kids and are looking to do a lot of swimming in a pool, this might not be the place you want because the pool is more of a cool down and relax kind of spot than a pool for swimming a lot. It was perfect for our needs. Who wants to stay in the hotel all day anyway when there is so much to see and do in San Antonio!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Despite what some reviews say, was within safe walking distance of Riverwalk and trolley stop is on corner if don't want to walk to Alamo, etc. Hotel is not haunted as some have indicated and was very clean. Nice to be in a Holiday Inn Express that has character. Since Priority Member were able to park in small lot on side of building rather than across the street at no charge. Staff was very helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Rutha2s,

First of all, we like to thank you for having chosen our hotel and we also like to thank you for having taken the time to share your valuable comment with us. Guest comments like yours are paramount for allowing us to focus our attention where guests’ feel it is necessary. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I always stay at the holiday inn hotel wherever I go. This time I stay at this hotel and walked to the River-walk which is not too far. The location is good,the hotel looks old, but it was clean. The problem was I got wireless Internet just for a couple of hrs after that no more access. The neighbors in the other room they were too loud they were fighting at 2 am very loud. I tried to contact the desk staff but they never answered the phone. I won't stay in this hotel if I am in the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank laamapola
Toni I, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

First I would like to apologize for the intermitten internet service over the weekend. The service went out due to a piece of equipment that will be replaced on Monday. We were able to bypass that piece of equipment but not totally restore the service to 100%. Your comments are very important to us. I have passed along the comments about the noise from the room next door to the appropriate staff member. I thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed two nights for the incredibly low rate of $109.00 per night. My room was very nice and quiet. I had a coffee pot, a microwave and a mini-frig in my room, which I really liked. It also had free high-speed Wifi connection which worked very, very well. I used the fitness center and found it to have everything I wanted: a treadmill, an elliptical and a reclining bicycle. It was equipped with fresh towels and a water cooler and other small amentities, plus a good sized cable TV. I didn't get a chance to use the pool but I did check it out. I do water exercise so pools are very handy when I travel. The pool is small, you won't be doing laps, in it but if you want to refresh yourself on a hot day or get some water exercise in, it is just fine. The hot breakfast in the morning was GREAT! It was free and it included scrambled eggs, bacon, hot biscuits, sausage gravy, and pancakes. The most hilarious thing that I saw was the "pancake machine." You pressed one button and then two pancakes came out. They were tasty pancakes. Also they had high quality coffee on tap in the lobby 24/7 which I appreciate because I drink coffee non-stop. Another great feature is that it is right by the local Trolley route. The City of San A ntonio funds a trolley route that takes people from hotels to convention centers and the entertainment/restaurant district. I used that instead of a cab and saved a good deal of money. The staff were very helpful and professional. I will definitely stay in this hotel next time I am in San Antonio. What a bargain for a great, comfortable stay

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
ttribby, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Thank you for all your comments. I will pass them along to staff members. I hope to see you again soon at the hotel.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We always stay at the Holiday Inn Express San Antonio North (120 Camaron Street) when we go to San Antonio. We have season tickets for the Broadway shows at the Majestic Theatre and this hotel is within SAFE walking distance of the River Walk, Market Square, and the Majestic Theatre. If you are a Priority Member, you get free parking, so be sure to sign up for Priority membership. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

This is a historical location--the old jail and the staff wears uniforms that say "Guard," showing their sense of humor.

You can walk to Mi Tierra or La Margarita restaurants or walk down to the River Walk for an amazing assortment of restaurants. You can also take the trolley to further locations such as the Alamo, unless you are looking for a longer walk.

Room Tip: Just be sure to ask for a room away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
ttribby, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for the comments about our staff. We all enjoy what we do and enjoy having fun with our history. Hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

So this hotel used to be a jail, ok, and the front of it facing the street still has the old bars in the windows, other than that you don't get any sense of it being a former jail. The inside is completely modernized and the rooms had all the normal items you could anticipate finding. The top floor room where we stayed had very tall ceilings and no smell of mold or anything. The only bad thing would be that the shower has a limit on the level of hot water that you could turn the handle too and it seemed to always be right at the middle of hot/cold. The other issue with the shower was that since it had the option to remove the handle from the attachment, it moved around and required constant readjustment. AC was cold and the noise was acceptable. Outside noise was not anything outside of what you would expect to find downtown in a big city. It is about 4 blocks to the river walk access but that nothing and you get to site see along the way too. Parking is interesting as you park across the street in a lot and unless you join or are a member of Priority Club rewards program it will cost you $10 per night. The staff can sign you up right at the front desk however and wave that fee. Breakfast is great, it has all the normal things you would want to eat, there are not a lot of tables however so it might be a trip back to your room to eat it, depending on the time you visit the lobby.

Room Tip: Top floor will give you the best possible views of the city.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family