“They're G-o-o-o-o-d!”

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
San Antonio, Texas
“They're G-o-o-o-o-d!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

What a Kool old place!! You can recognize it quickly, as you approach, from the standout black lettering on the white building and the long car port in front to protect the few yellow picnic tables, tiny order window and many drive-up to-go customers from the elements. I thought the sign had not been updated when I saw how much you could get 5 burgers for! Are you kidding! One of the customers heard my errant audibilization and said "No. They aren't." with a smile. Still disbelieving, I moved close to the order window. I could barely see a menu marquis on the wall inside through the slightly opened jalousie panes above the order window. Sure enough, the prices were pre WWII. Well, almost. Small single burgers were 5 for $3.25!!! Did I just pass through a time warp?!
You can call me "Hun" anytime. And I am not talking about Attila either. The sweet ole mom of an order taker did just that; "What can I get you, hun" . . . pure southern hospitality honestly offered, genuinely delivered. Put a smile on my face as I had not heard that simple, gentile greeting in quite a while.
I ordered a big double cheeseburger and med. tater tots along with a large Coke and went to sit at one of the picnic tables along with several others awaiting their orders. It probably took about 10 minutes for my bags of goodies to come out for which I paid a whopping $6.33! (I seem to be using a lot of exclamation marks in this review, but for good reason.) Everything was delivered wrapped in white paper and placed in white bags (except the Coke, of course).
So much of this experience was reminding me of my childhood that the burger could have been a total flop and I would not have minded it. But it wasn't. Two thin meat patties with melted american cheese and served "all the way". Dormant synapses were firing like crazy across old undisturbed neurons as my childhood and the sights, smells and flavors of ancient burger joints came virtually into being. I was home with the simple taste of a simple burger that I had forgotten.
Don't get me wrong. These burgers are really nothing special. Just basic, tasty and likely to bring back a flood of memories with their taste if you grew up in the fifties. As one of the customers told me, "they're g-o-o-o-o-d! And for me, she was oh so right!.

• Visited April 2013

San Antonio, Texas
“This is the last southside institution left from the 50's.”
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Floyd and his kids still run the place. Yummy, greasy hamburgers. Best you can get and cheap too. Yummy malts and milkshakes. Everything is good... fun to look at the old pictures of the 50's. This is an OLD drive-in, absolutely nothin fancy but it is a highland hills staple.

• Visited February 2011
1 Thank Lynette E
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“LOVE this place ! Friend...”
Reviewed August 23, 2008

LOVE this place ! Friend introduced me to this southside institution. Cheap, cheap burgers through a walk up window and outside picnic tables. You'll think you're back in the '50's.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook