“Home Away From Home - Omni made us feel like Family!”

Omni San Antonio Hotel
Ranked #18 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed August 20, 2014

I am a Customer Experience Manager so it's an area I pay a lot of attention to, especially when I travel. I was in town because my mother was having lung surgery at Texsan Methodist Hospital so obviously we were under a tremendous amount of stress. None of us, including my mother live in San Antonio. We originally had reservations at a hotel located within 1 mile of the hospital, but it wasn't really providing the comfort level we needed. It was adequate, but that was about it. We read online reviews and decided to move to the Omni. When we made reservations and checked in, we explained our situation as we needed to see if we could get certain room types, located close to each other etc. What happened next shocked and surprised me in the best possible way. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome, cared for, and like part of the family. They must have made a note in the system as to the reason we were visiting. Every time we had a special need, they took care of it. The first 5 days we stayed, my mother was still in the hospital and we were taking shifts to stay with her. The housekeeping staff worked out a special system with us so that they wouldn't wake us if we were resting and when we needed our room cleaned, they jumped right to it with very little notice. In a stressful time, sometimes the smallest gestures mean the most. The night after the surgery, we wanted to relax so we rented a movie on pay-per-view. Within 30 minutes, everyone had fallen asleep. The next day, I called the front desk, explained our situation and asked if the rental could be extended one day. The guest services representative said she couldn't extend, but she would credit the account so we could rent that night or any night on our stay that was convenient for us. We watched the movie the next night, and it really gave us a little time to take our minds off our worries. When my mother was released from the hospital, she had to stay in town for a week until her check up. She was released from the ICU and was still in a fragile condition after having a section of her lung removed. We asked the housekeeping staff to help with a deep cleaning of the room since we were told to be very cautious of germs, etc. They said no problem and exceeded our expectations. The hotel made arrangements for us to use a wheelchair to help get mom up to the room and then about an hour later, there was a knock at the door. The hotel sent up the most delicious chicken soup, crackers, ginger ale and a personalized card from the staff letting her know that they wished her a speedy recovery and that after the past few days, they considered us family and hoped we felt the same way. The next day they sent up some fruit and cheese as a little surprise. No matter what our need - extra bowls and silverware to setting up our rooms so we didn't have to worry about whether we connected to the free internet or the high-speed version with a charge - the hotel did everything within it's power to make us feel at ease and avoid any additional stress. I was so impressed I went down and asked to meet with the manager, shake his hand and thank him for the warm reception from the entire staff! Finally to bring it full circle, in my job I spend a lot of time talking about how to create a great customer experience and on the other hand, what can lead to a bad one. This was my first time staying at an Omni Hotel, but it will not be my last. In fact, I signed up for the Rewards Program and will book an Omni whenever it's an option for my travel plans. I've called the hospital to make sure they know to recommend this hotel. I just took a new position within my company managing an event facility. This Friday I plan to tell them the story about how your hotel gave me the best possible customer experience and how you've made a fan for life. I hope it inspires them to provide our guests with the same level of service. Thank you and your team for your hard work and dedication!

1  Thank 94brandit
OmniSAColonnade, General Manager at Omni San Antonio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I am so proud of the staff. They do great things, but this is truly special. It is all about memorable experiences.

This is why I love this business. Wonderful people.

Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is so outdated/outmoded that I instantly regretted my choice. For the price you pay I strongly recommend do your homework before you book this hotel. Besides the pool there is nothing attractive about this location.

• Stayed: August 2014

Not sure what options you were looking for. I would like the opportunity to correspond with you so that I may assist in finding the right hotel. I am sorry we were not the one for you. I have sent an email offline to further assist in any way I can.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Everything about this hotel was comfortable. The hotel staff was friendly and polite without being overbearing, the décor and amenities were high-quality, and the location was very convenient. The quality of food was good and predictably expensive, but otherwise everything was outstanding.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Feedback is always appreciated. It helps provide direction on our quest to continually improve both service and product. Thank you for staying with us and look forward to your return.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

The overall appearance seems to be dated, the hotel could use and upgrade. The service at the front desk was good, the service in the lobby bar area was not up to par. Would not stay there again. Not impressive for an Omni property

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business

As a Senior Contributor, I value your opinion. It is unfortunate we are no longer a hotel of choice for you. I did want to inform you that we have a scheduled renovation of the lobby area to include the bar area and the restaurant in 2015. As for service, I would appreciate if you could share some details. Service is an area we typically excel at.

Would appreciate the details.

Thank you for your time.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

The location is excellent, and the staff is wonderful, however the property is in major need of an upgrade. I couldn't help but feel that this used to be a different hotel chain, because the condition of the pool area was not your typical Omni standards. Overall wear and tear on outside pool deck was significant. Unsealed cracks, loose screws on the chairs and broken whirlpool were a few things I noticed on the outside. I was there for leisure, and looking forward to spending time at the pool, but was disappointed with its condition. The same situation pretty much applied to the room, very outdated fixtures, the grout needed replacing or cleaning, and the sealant around the sink area appeared to be very old and dingy. I will say however that the location is fabulous, and the staff was amazing. For these reasons I would stay there again if I was in that area of San Antonio.

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your review. Thank you for your kind words regarding the staff. As for the condition of the hotel, I apologize. We continue to work on improving the overall facilities. The pool is scheduled for repairs over the winter. I have sent an email offline requesting additional information.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

We had a great stay here! All of the amenities were listed in our booking! Had a wonderful on site spa. Indoor and outdoor pool. My daughter loved the kids backpack with all kind of goodies. She liked picking our her free ice cream by the pool and the cookies and milk in our room at night. We were on the 16th floor by the ice machine and never heard a thing. Staff was GREAT. Hector ( Bell man) was great and nice all the time. CJ at breakfast was a joy! Free drinks at the Starbucks and great made to order breakfast. It was a great stay, the rooms were nice and roomy and the hot water was like no other. We got free in room wi fi because we were omin members 1st night staying. I am a die hard Marriott fan but this hotel has me thinking about trying more Omni's! Great stay will be back when we go to San Antonio!

Room Tip: get a room on a high floor its worth it!
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Thank you once again for all your kind words regarding your recent stay here at the Colonnade. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed August 18, 2014

Our first family reunion in San Antonio, Good location not to far from our destinations... Front Desk, Housekeeping, Security Staff very helpfull, Kristina very friendly... we enjoyed our stay and sure to be back next year! All our request were complete and we were very satisfied :) your staff rocks!

1  Thank Karla Z

"Your staff rocks". Love it! Thank you for having your first family reunion here at the Colonnade. All your kind words have been shared with the team. I am proud of all of them. Look forward to hosting your second family reunion here at the Colonnade.