“Very good, but maybe not worth the money considering the location”

Omni San Antonio Hotel
Ranked #21 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for an interview at the medical center. Overall I was quite impressed with the public spaces and the decor and amenities in the rooms, though more on the traditional side and in some ways a little dated. The staff was also very helpful and extremely courteous. Food at the hotel was good, especially the complimentary morning orange juice for rewards club members and the bar was very lively and had a good selection of beer, wine and liquor. The bed in the room was very comfortable and left me feeling extremely well rested for my interview.

The location near the medical center was convenient for me, but makes getting to downtown San Antonio and the Riverwalk an expensive and long journey. The rates are also quite high for being so far out of the way from almost everything.

My only complaint is that I felt the rooms were not kept as clean as they could have been. There seemed to be dust in corners/nooks and crannies and the coffee machine had not been cleaned too well.

Otherwise everything was excellent. If I had to go back to the medical center i would stay at the Omni again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing away from the freeway - though it wasn't terribly loud I could hear the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
ClintColeman-DOR, Guest Relations Manager at Omni San Antonio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our product. Your comments will be shared with our staff. We hope to host your next visit to San Antonio soon.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel is probably the nicest in the area, other than La Cantera. It is very close to med center so great for business trips. The rooms have been updated but you can tell that it is an older building. My room had really low lighting and made getting ready difficult. The front desk staff and valet are really nice and helpful. I have stayed here multiple times and probably will continue to go back.
The only negative thing I could say was that there was some highway noise, however this could be avoided by requesting a room facing away from I-10.

Room Tip: Get room away from main highway
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
ClintColeman-DOR, Guest Relations Manager at Omni San Antonio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay. I appreciate the kind comments you left with respect to the staff. We hope to host your future visits to San Antonio.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I spent four of the most uncomfortable and bizarre nights/days in this hotel. It all started on a Wednesday afternoon when I arrived and everything went terrific. A woman greeted me at the front desk, no need to register since I became a Loyal Member online. My room 1603 smelled musty and the fixtures looked pretty old and there weren't enough outlets, but the view was great so I thought it compensated (boy did I think too soon…). I recently lost my mom so I travel with a small frame that my friend Debbie gave me for Christmas. The frame itself says Mom and the O in Mom is the frame where an image of my mom rested. On Thursday morning around 6:00ish AM I was abruptly awaken by horrible drilling that sounded right in my ear! I was startled and incredibly annoyed at the same time. I called the front desk and they assured me that the noise would not continue the next morning, well guess what it did. Then they offer me another room on the 11th floor where, ‘you’ll be very comfortable’ I was assured.
When I packed all my belongings from room 1603 to room 1100 I missed my mom’s picture! I was so annoyed that I packed quickly and left the frame next to the TV. When I realized what I had done, I immediately called the front desk and explained what had happened. They assured me they would take care of it. They didn’t and on top of the loss of my frame, the noise was worse in room 1100 since the 12th floor was under construction, so it was not only drilling but banging as well. To top it all with a sugar coat, on Sunday morning around 5:00AM we were all awakened by a fire alarm and a loud voice signaling all to go down the stairs on account of a fire. Oh my god! (The day before they had a fire drill at around 2:00PM and I was at the pool, where we were all directed to leave toward the street). When all of us were reaching the 2nd floor half asleep and some very scared we had to go back up again. There was an elderly man behind me whose knee was not well and he was limping his way down. I offered to help but he said he was OK.
This was probably the worst hotel stay I have had in all of my years of traveling, I would discourage anyone from staying at this unprofessional place where criminal activity --clearly someone stole my frame—is condoned. The service was awful and the food overpriced and not up to par; In terms of cleanliness: I had a woman who was supposed to do my room ask me if I wanted my bed made? What? are you kidding me? So I asked her if it was her first day, nope, she just didn’t feel like working that day I guess. Then she asked if I needed my bathroom cleaned? Ok a bit too much. The management of this hotel is far from average and even though they offered a slight discount for the conference we were attending, it was NOT worth the money at all. They tried to compensate my horrible experience by sending me a free night gift certificate which I don't see myself using. What they should have done is take a night off my bill to compensate what I had already gone through. I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 524luzg
ClintColeman-DOR, Guest Relations Manager at Omni San Antonio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Delivering a quality product and providing excellent customer service is paramount to us. Clearly during your stay we fell short and I apologize sincerely. I realize a member of my management staff has made contact with you and provided a complimentary future stay. I truly hope you take advantage to experience our Hotel the way we intend it for everyone. I appreciate you sharing your experience as your feedback is invaluble so future guests will see our improved product and service.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Hotel is located off the highway with not much to see around. I would generally recommend staying downtown where it is possible to walk around and enjoy the riverwalk, alamo, etc. Staff was fine but I was unimpressed with how they dealt with a customer who had reserved a King room when they did not have any remaining. They basically just said "too bad, your reservation for King is just a preference and not a commitment." Business travelers will find this attitude to be extremely annoying. I was also very displeased to pay $20 for a mediocre breakfast that was inferior to breakfasts that are included for free at similar hotels.

Room itself was fine but not special. Internet was extremely slow. There was an option to pay more for faster internet, which made me feel like they intentionally provided slow internet to encourage this additional fee. This did not generate a positive feeling.

When I was there, pool (which is kind of small) was packed with kids on spring break and not swimmable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
OmniSAColonnade, General Manager at Omni San Antonio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to provide such details of your most recent stay with us. Your comments have been shared with the team. We continue to strive to provide improved product and service. We will continue to focus on bringing value to each stay. Breakfast quality, WIFI connectivity, Room Type availability are all key to this. Although not on the riverwalk, we provide car service to a 5 mile radius. In addition to the many restaurants surronding the Omni Colonnade, you can also enjoy all just a short distance away to include THE RIM, Shops of La Canterra and North Star Mall.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The hotel is being completely remodeled top to bottom even though it was very nice before. I think they are about 1/2 finished as of this review. The rooms are always spotless and the service is wonderful. We like the location because it is easy to get to and is close to just about everything. Where it is located you are 10 minutes from Fiesta Texas or the River Walk. We can make Sea World in about 12 to 15 minutes. Bass Pro Shop and La Contera Mall is less than 10 minutes.

Lots of restaurants all around the hotel but if you ever eat a steak at the hotel restaurant you won't go anywhere else. The wait staff, restaurant manager and chef will make you feel like you are at home.

They have an indoor pool and an outdoor pool. We never use it but it is nice.

You will find a very nice bar in the lobby with live piano in the evenings. Nice seating and good drinks.

My photos are not very good - all I had with me was a cell phone - sorry about that.

Room Tip: The rooms that face the city have a great view of the city lights. We always ask for a high room su...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gary T
ClintColeman-DOR, Guest Relations Manager at Omni San Antonio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you for your kind feedback. We look forward to the completion of our renovation by this Summer. We hope to host you again when your travels bring you back to the San Antonio.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We booked this room using Discover Card cash back bonus through their Discover Card's partners. In other words, for $80 cash back with Discover Card we received an $100 voucher through Travelocity. The website, www.travelocityincentives.com, only shows hotel properties who allowed the voucher to be used. The Omni showed a rate of $129, so with the voucher the room was a really good deal. With taxes/fees I paid $50.
The staff of this hotel is tops. They handled any situation with urgency and class. We entered the hotel at 4:00 and our room wasn't ready until 4:40. They were correct in their estimation of time as to when the room would be available. To compensate for the delay the hotel was showing movies in a second floor meeting room with free popcorn and iced sodas. The kids could chose from Lilo and Stitch, Wreck-it Ralph, and a few others.
At 8:30 we had a noisy neighbor's cussing at each other. I went to the front desk, told them the problem and I was in a new room.
With that said, the walls in this hotel are really thin. The noise from neighbors and I-10 were very noticeable. I would guess this hotel was built in the 80's. It has maintained its class, but the rooms aren't big and the bathrooms are real tight. So much in fact you have to be strategic in where you stand to close the bathroom door. The beds were comfortable doubles, not queens. For my wife and I we had no problems, but we were surprised to see doubles. I don't think the rooms could hold queens.
There was no mold or torn carpet, and the linens were clean and quality. There were no stains and the hot and cold water were always there when we needed them.
On this spring break get away to Fiesta Texas and shopping, the Omni's location was perfect. As long as you have a car you will find many choices for food, shopping, and entertainment.
There is an indoor pool that is small, and an outdoor pool that is large. There were so many kids in this hotel I felt like I was in Disney resort.
The Omni is more of a meeting hotel than I was expecting. As I walked around the beautiful lobby and strolled with my kids through the meeting room side of the hotel, I felt like I was attending one of my companies meetings. I would stay here again. I am big on service and this Omni works to please their guest.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank fquinter
OmniSAColonnade, General Manager at Omni San Antonio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Great review. Enjoyed the details of your review. Thank you for the positive comments regarding your stay and quality of guestroom. We are a very popular place for "Spring Breakers" who enjoy the hotel and its location to all nearby attractions. As for bed size, we are currently replacing all mattresses in the hotel. This will be complete by Memorial Day Week-end. This will include upgrading from Double to Queen beds which fit quite comfortably in our rooms.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed here as a family to visit a nearby theme park. The staff was friendly and welcoming. The kids received a goody at check in. Our room was clean and comfortable with a nice big window to peek out of. We had an excellent night's sleep. Breakfast was delicious! The pool was a hit for our kids... part indoor, part outdoor. This was a great choice for us and we will be back again soon!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Norm1222
OmniSAColonnade, General Manager at Omni San Antonio Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Sounds like a great week-end with the family. I appreciate you sharing your experience. We look forward to your next trip to the Omni Colonnade.

Regards,