“Fine Stay”

Ranked #17 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
ARLINGTON, TX
“Fine Stay”
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Before making a reservation at an Omni hotel join their Select Guest program. This will give bottled water upon arrival. Free WIFI. Free morning beverage delivered to your room.

Our stay at the Omni was great. Enjoyed the indoor pool, the workout room, the hot tub and the sauna.

Breakfast buffett was great. When you reserve your room, the Bed and Breakfast package is an awesome value! The wait staff...Nat and CJ were so friendly and helpful. A+++

Hotel is centrally located, which is great. Close to Six Flags and Sea World.

The front desk staff seemed a little annoyed to have help anyone. I felt very uncomfortable talking to them, I felt like I was bothering them. Perhaps Nat and CJ can teach them how to be cheerful. Other than that, everything else was wonderful.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni San Antonio Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
Thank you very much for your review, and we are glad to hear that overall you stay with us went very well. We will pass along your compliments for Nat and CJ, but are upset to hear of your issue with the Front Desk. We will address this as a team to ensure that it is not repeated. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I found the hotel to be miles from town , any entertainment or diners. The desk staff were not all that friendly and I felt like I was a real bother to them even just checking in. The room was clean and comfortable. The rooms were very expensive. Had to pay to use the internet and for water. Also was told I had free airport transport , however it was stressed to me I must pay the driver. Most disappointed with the whole Omni San Antonio Hotel

Room Tip: Had to pay for airport
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni San Antonio Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2011
Thank you for your review of the hotel. We do have a full service restaurant in the hotel as well as the area having many restaurants within walking or short driving distance. Our Select Guest program also offers complimentary Wi-Fi and morning beverage service and is free for any guest to join. Thank you again and safe travels.
McAllen, Texas
Reviewed November 6, 2011

easy check-in, great night's sleep, awesome view of the city from my room, great loyalty benefits

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
New Braunfels, Texas
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We stay here several times a year just as a weekend getaway. We love the lounge area, especially the cowhide chairs! Smiley is the perfect batrender for this establishment. He is quiet, yet very polite and friendly. We look forward to seeing him on each visit. Of course, the room is always clean and comfortable...it's an Omni! The breakfast buffet is one of the best and we look forward to seeing Roger, the omelette KING, there when we visit. Overall, a great place to stay...for a night, a weekend, or a week. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Take a corner room, high up, overlooking the Texas Hill Country.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni San Antonio Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Thank you for the great words about both the hotel and our resident omelet King Roger. We look forward to your next visit and hope it is sooner rather than later.
Mississippi
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Let me first say that the reason I picked this Omni instead of the Riverwalk locations was due to the convenient location. It is located by the interstate so if you have a car you can easily get around the city.
Upon arrival we asked the front desk for a room that had a sofa so we could sit and watch TV without having to sit on the bed. We were staying for 4 nights so we wanted the extra space. A room was not available so they asked if we would wait 1-2 hrs for a room which we agreed. We asked to leave our luggage at the hotel while we wasted some time. When they called to say the room was ready I asked if they would take the luggage to the room so we didn't have to worry about it when we made it back to the hotel. Not a problem until we found that they forgot a bag. When I called the front desk they said the bag was there and I could come down to pick it up. Issue #1. Why would they not offer to bring the bag to my room if they were the ones that forgot it. I had also tipped the guy that brought the bags so why couldn't they just send the guy back to the room to bring the bag he forgot.
As loyalty members we receive a local treat and bottled water upon arrival. NO welcome note, no treat and only 1 bottle of water for 2 registered guests.
I again called down to ask about the 2nd bottle of water and they said it was only 1 per night. At which point I told the front desk that in all of the other Omni hotels I was never limited to 1 bottle of water. They always provide 2 because there are 2 people in the room. They told me it was their policy to do 1 regardless of the number of guests. The front desk then told me that they have this problem in this location because guests that have stayed in the Downtown area also expect 2 bottles but THIS location only does 1.
The following morning I requested 2 bottles of water for my beverage and to my surprise they didn't send any water. When I went downstairs to ask about the missing water they behaved as if I was lying about the water since I had complained the previous night about the water.
That night a vehicle was vandalized in the hotel parking lot. The back window on the drivers side was broken and there was police outside the property taking pictures. The hotel did not notify other guests of this issue so if you didn't see it happen you would not have known that the parking lot was not very safe.
That second night I found 6 bottles of water in the room. Which I guess 2 for that night, 2 that were missing from that morning and 2 from the previous night. No apology note which I would have taken instead of the extra 4 bottles of water.
On the third night we did get 2 bottles of water but they left the welcome note from another room in my room. Clearly they are not paying attention to what they are doing when you get to your room and you find a welcome card for another guest. Then again maybe that's what happened to my welcome note so that's why I didn't get one.
On our last night I just wanted to leave. I was peeved that the parking lot was full because they had a big event in the ballroom. After knowing that a vehicle was vandalized and a full parking lot where do you park? I couldn't sleep because we had to park further away and I was afraid our car would be missing in the morning.
The fitness center was very small. There were mornings when the 3 treadmills and 2 elliptical machines were being used so you had to wait for a machine to open up. They should invest in a few more machines.
With all of this said I will NOT return to this location.
I will give credit to the cleaning personnel because they did a great job keeping up with the room. It was clean and refreshing to come back to a nice room after being gone all day.
If you want a room and don't expect much then stay here but if you are a regular Omni guest then be aware that this location does not have Omni quality service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TXnatives
Thank you for letting us know about your stay here in San Antonio. While it can be difficult to hear a review with the issues we had, we appreciate you letting us know so we are able to correct these issues and ensure that your next stay with us is up to the standards it needs to be. We apologize that we fell short during this stay, but know that if you return to visit us again you will have a great experience. Thank you and safe travels.
Saugus, California
Reviewed October 3, 2011

My husband and I drove from Los Angeles to San Antonio...straight. When we arrived, very tired, the staff was friendly, but the computer was down and she could not give us our room key. We were escorted to our room by another staff member, she was very friendly. Upon entering the room, it smelled a bit musty, but after a few minutes, the smell didn't bother us..we just wanted to sleep.

At night you can hear the doors being opened and closed. You can also hear the water through the pipes. Not a good place if you are a light sleeper.

After 2 hours of sleep, I tried to make coffee, but the coffee maker was broken. I contacted housekeeping (there was no answer). I called the front desk and the lady was very nice, apologized and sent another machine up.

Checking out was very easy. Again, front desk staff were friendly and professional. When I got home, there were 3 item charges to my card which were not on the final bill. After calling they stated they couldn't see one of the charges and I had to print out my online statement and fax it to them.

For the price we paid and the short duration of our trip, the accommodation was acceptable. It was quite different from the other Omni Hotels I have stayed at. I agree with the other reviews with regards to the elevator (very slow) and the furnishings (very dated).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
West Texas
Reviewed September 26, 2011

After reading the reviews of this hotel I was a little concerned. I must say that prior reviews stating that the photos on the hotel's website are not like the read deal is totally untrue. The lobby was fantastic, clean, upscale and beautiful with leather furniture, and upscale decor. I will agree that the elevators are absolutely the slowest I've ever experienced without obvious reason because when we arrived there was very few people. We were graciously allowed to check in very early approx 9:30 am so we could unload our luggage while we waited on our guests who were meeting us there. The room was decorated extremely nicely just as the photos portrayed. We had a door between our room and the next which is a problem when your neighbors are loud, which ours were and we are talking morning...so I politely asked the desk manager if we could be moved right then rather than wait till these noisy neighbors woke us up at 2:00 am and kept us up all night. The manager graciously agreed and was extremely polite about accommodating my request. He moved to another room on the same floor and this one was perfect.

There was a few areas in the room that need a little minor maintenance where the wall paper was beginning to peel and there were some spots on the wallpaper but you can't expect a hotel to redecorate every time an irresponsible guest leaves a mark on the wall so I found it to be perfectly acceptable. What mattered most was the a/c worked and we were cool, the bed was very comfortable, the linens were clean and fluffy. The bathroom was spotless and the room and the hallways smelled clean and fresh.

Self parking was plentiful and easy, couldn't ask for more. This feature alone saved us $30 in valet fees from what we are use to paying in a downtown hotel, plus it was much easier to come and go without having to wait on a valet to get your car, so we loved this. There were a lot of shops and restaurants within walking distance too so this was an added benefit.

We spent some time down by the pool visiting our guests and it was fabulous, only wish we had taken our swimsuits because the water looked so great. Only a couple of other families in the area it wasn't crowded at all. The music playing was fun and we had a great time visiting in a wonderful setting.

There are only a couple of things I could recommend to make this hotel the absolute perfect recommended spot in San Antonio.

Offer guests an alternative to the HEAVY down comforter. We see this a lot in high end hotels and while they are great, in the summer they get a bit uncomfortable because you're too cool without something more than a sheet but the comforter is way too much. So an alternative in summer months with our Texas heat would be really appreciated.

Last, the only other thing is I would appreciate it is the hotel would not charge my credit card for incidentals unless I use them. The Omni charged my credit card $50 for incidentals which I had no plan of utilizing. So when I asked the desk clerk when it would be credited back she told me it would be credited back as soon as we checked out if we didn't have any incidentals. Today it is still on my credit card so I called the Omni and asked why the credit had not been posted, they told me it could take 3-5 business days for the credit to appear on my credit card. I don't like the fact that this charge was on my account for even 3-5 days when I didn't incur any incidental expenses and told them I had not planned to. The card was taken so IF I did incur any of these expenses so they should not charge anyone's card until IF/WHEN they do.

This may be standard procedure but consumers don't appreciate it. The rest of my comments about the hotel and our stay are positive and we will stay there again. It's centrally located to downtown and to the La Cantera area and The Rim where all our favorite stores and restaurants are located. The priceline rate is not much less than the going rate if you book online so next time we will book direct and reserve the option to cancel if our plans change.

Room Tip: Choose the North side because there's shade keeping the room cooler and you get a view of the po...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
OmniTexasMgr, E-Commerce Manager at Omni San Antonio Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Thank you for letting us know about your experience at the hotel - and we are glad to hear that the staff was able to accommodate all of your requests. We hope that whenever your travels bring you to San Antonio, you are able to stay with us again!