“Exceeded Expectations!”

Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown
Ranked #31 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed here 3 days on a business trip. I am usually a Marriott customer, so I really didn't know what to expect. This place did an exceptional job. Every employee was very eager to make my stay enjoyable (not just the ones expecting a tip). The price per night was slightly higher than I am used to paying for business travel, but you get what you pay for. The restaurant and bar was very nice and the complimentary breakfast was exceptional. This experience may have just changed me from a Marriott to a Hilton guy!

Room Tip: The rooms have a view of the riverwalk so if you are traveling for pleasure I would suggest getting...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Todd H, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay! We truly appreciate you choosing Homewood Suites and we look forward to your return next time you are in San Antonio.

There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown

Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is my second review of a Homewood suites. I stayed in a Maryland HS recently, and this one was just as good. Front desk was excellent. friendly, eager to help the customers. Got to the hotel late (7 pm), and asked for a place to eat/drink with quick service nearby. They sent me to the Esquire.. and neglected to tell me how historic iot was. Good choice though. Parking (valet) was a bit expensive, but already knew that from reading tripadvisor!

The rooms were large - bedroom and kitchen area. Just used the bedroom, and the thrmostat was great. Got the room to the perfect temp (60 degrees LOL) quickly! The pillows were very good - I say this because I have a problem falling asleep on the road - but I slept pretty well for the night!

The location is great - right by the Riverwalk. My only negative was the happy hour. The choice of beverages was fine... but the appetizer - raviolis - not too appetizing. Breakfast - the eggs were good (unlike my previous Homewood Suites breakfast)

Ive seen some reviews about the frayed carpeting, etc. I was looking around for this, but I did not see these conditions. The hotel is not brand new, but it certainly did not look "old". One of the sales people I met with told me they were putting new appliances in the rooms. The current appliances looked fine - but I like the attitude of keeping things fresh.

Finally, though I did not use the pool, I saw it (on the roof). You can see the riverwalk from the roof - a great place to relax on a hot day/night... I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
1  Thank asf1
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Sixteen friends met here from all over Texas, as well as from California, Virginia and Maryland. We chose Homewood on the River for its accessibility to Riverwalk sites and the trolley lines. Large suites were also a cost-saving plus. We made a perfect decision! From check-in to check-out, from hotel management to housekeeping staff, we were totally spoiled and happy, Suites are roomy, fully stocked with kitchen utensils and extra bedding, and well arranged. This is not the fanciest hotel on the river, but it IS a cut above! It will be my first choice from now on!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed here for one night on business...for some reason I got an oversized (2 br suite) room but certainly not complaining about that. Hotel does seem a bit dated, but that's somewhat par for the course in San Antonio. Forego the valet for the parking garage across the street. Breakfast was pretty good. Fitness room was sparse.

Best part of this hotel was the location which was fairly central to the busy part of the River Walk.

1  Thank rstravelerMaryland
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Can't think of a bad thing! Next San Antonio trip, I hope to stay here again. Employees were all vey friendly; room was clean. Plenty close to lots of attractions, & right on the Riverwalk. Don't particularly care for the location, right in the middle of downtown and all, but we can't do much about that, now can we?!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We were a group of five people and the 2 bedroom/2 bath suite worked very well for us. The place is looking a little run down; carpet is worn and frayed, and there was mold in the showers. House keeping never came so I had to go down and get new towels. The breakfast buffet was good, but they only had the waffle machine on the weekends. The evening happy hour is only Monday through Thursday unlike other Homewood Suites that I have stayed at in the past.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Todd H, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the condition of your guest suite. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you if your travels bring you back to the area.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We drove into town for our first visit to San Antonio and stayed at this hotel. It was just what I had expected, a nice hotel with a friendly staff. Also, the rooms are super - a full-height refrigerator (with icemaker), microwave and a rangetop, not just a dorm fridge and a tiny microwave. The beds were outstanding - usually that's our biggest problem with a hotel, but these were excellent. No window air/heaters here - you have a regular thermostat, no freezing or roasting when you sleep near the window. We'll be back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple