“Good value on the Riverwalk”

Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown
Ranked #31 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Good value on the Riverwalk”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Went to a business meeting, but wantred to save a few bucks by not staying at the convention hotel. This property was nice, it has been remodeled fairly recently. Rooms were fine, good beds, and they offer happy hour week nights with food and drinks for free. Location on fairly quiet part of the riverwalk.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Hotel is showing signs of age. No HDTV, not a big deal, but something that is pretty standard for most hotels. My AC started dripping water on the floor at 0430 and it took time to cool the room. The staff are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank LeakyWader
sanantoniogm, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of amenities that you deserve. I apologize you had issues with your air conditioning. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. We appreciate your feedback and I will be reaching out to you.
Houston, TX
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I have been to San Antonio several times. While there are many hotels right on the Riverwalk, this is about the only one offering suites. The Homewood is on what I call the "quiet" section of the Riverwalk directly across from the Tower Life building. We traveled with family and had 4 suites in all. Everyone was very pleased with their suite. The two queen suite was simply HUGE - it must've been the Texas queen suite.

Because this Homewood is located in a renovated building that is on the national register, there are 26 different suite arrangements. There are no long, straight hallways like modern hotels. The corridors are more maze-like, so there are many room configurations. There were only 2 downsides. First, my suite was directly below the rooftop pool. The 2nd night, someone was moving the patio furniture around and we could hear it. However, it didn't last long (must've been hotel staff putting everything back in order after closing the pool). Second, the AC unit in our suite was LOUD. The AC unit for the suite was located in the bedroom, so it woke us a few times each night. Fortunately, there was a ceiling fan to help keep us cool so we didn't have to run the AC that much at night.

The staff were very courteous and helpful. We arrived early, but the front desk made a couple suites available to us at no extra charge so we could rest before lunch. We were there over a weekend so the afternoon Welcome Home Reception wasn't offered. However, the hot breakfast was plentiful and satisfied us until lunch. The eating area overlooks the Riverwalk. It is an easy walk to the main part of the Riverwalk, La Villita, San Fernando Cathedral, and el Mercado (Market Square). They have valet parking; however, I believe there is a parking garage across the street for about 1/2 the daily rate of valet.

For those who haven't visited San Antonio before, here are a few words of advice. First, not every hotel that claims to be "on the Riverwalk" actually is. They may be anywhere from a block off the river to several blocks away. Second, the Riverwalk has been recently expanded to the north of downtown. There are many hotels along this route, but the main part of the Riverwalk continues to be the U-shaped section (picture a U on its side). Most of the bars, restaurants, and shops are in the bend of the U. Some hotels are in the bend as well, but most that are on the Riverwalk itself are closer to the opening of the U on both ends. This means a little bit of a walk to the restaurants in the bend, but it isn't a long walk. However, if you stay along the recently expanded part of the river, you might still be on the river but a long walk from the attractions. If you're looking for someplace quiet, you might want to avoid hotels that are in that bend. The Homewood Riverwalk is on the quiet side but still within the original Riverwalk.

Room Tip: Call the property and ask for a Riverview suite
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ghvz1
Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 26, 2011

This is the 1st time I stayed in a Homewood Suites but as a Hilton Honors member have stayed in a lot of Hilton properties. The property presents a mixed appearance - some areas are very nice while others warrant improvement. For example, the lobby/eating area is very spacious, great view of the river but why is the carpet unfinished/ragged at the edge where it meets the windows overlooking the river - looks real shabby. The breakfast/evening light dinner staff could be more cordial (e.g greeting guests) as I've come to expect at other Hilton properties plus they did not consistently clean the floor around the tables leaving food/crumbs behind. Again, not what I see at other Hilton properties.

Keep in mind this is an old building restored so it will not have that look & feel of a newer facility. Neverthless, one shouldn't have to wait 5+ minutes for hot water in the sink/shower which at times never gets hot, a toilet that runs off and on, a room that despite being a non smoking room has a distinct, lingering smoke smell, a closet door that doesn't slide and no flat screen TVs. Always hate having to pay for parking and whenever you need to retrieve something from your car (parked blocks away), you need to wait plus tip the driver each time. I try to avoid Hilton properties that charge for parking whenever I can.

To be fair, the property has it good points:
- great location to everything downtown including the riverwalk
- light dinner that saves you $
- spacious suites with a ceiling fan in the bedroom which we love
- convenient, free Wi-Fi
- nice fitness area
- convenient guest laundry

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
sanantoniogm, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton San Antonio - Riverwalk / Downtown, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services and amenities you deserve. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. We appreciate your feedback and I will be reaching out to you in order to make this right.
The Woodlands, TX
Reviewed February 28, 2011

The hotel room was AMAZING! The bed... slept like a baby! I was disappointed in my view, but wasn't really looking out the window that much. The valet parking was $23 bucks, so be prepaid! I was totally glad though that I did not have to pay in cash.

Decent location. I normally stay on the riverwalk, so this was a little different having to walk to find the riverwalk and places to eat. If you stay on the street it was a lot easier to get from place to place!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Platte City, Missouri
Reviewed January 24, 2011

I was blown away by the service I received starting the moment I stepped in the door. I was there for only a few days but I found it to be one of the best stays at any hotel I've had. The Check-in process was normal, they told me where to find everything in the hotel and what time breast and their reception was. The room was spacious and spotless. I had no complaints about the room besides the closet door didn't close for some reason, but it didn't bother me. Iw as able to use the kitchenette in the room and it was great. I did not use the free internet so I cannot review that portion. I did use the business center and found it to be perfect for me. I went down there 3 times or so and I was the only one in there each time. The center was clean and quiet. The breakfast and reception were both fantastic. I would definately stay again at this hotel. The view from the sitting area near the front desk had a great view of the riverwalk. This hotel is on the Riverwalk and only about a 15 minute walk to just about any of the attractions nearby (which I took advantage of!) The staff was fantastic! They were some of the friendliest I've come across. I loved the stay!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank jlas1501
UK
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Hotel is located alongside the riverwalk and all the main attractions are in easy walking distance (the alamo is around 20 minutes away on foot). Rooms are very spacious with a small living / kitchen area. The buffet breakfast in the morning is plentiful and on most evenings there is also a free small evening buffet although given the wide range of restaurant choices we didn't actually make use of it.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business