Hotel Havana
$150
$261
$239
  • Restaurant
Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk(San Antonio)
$98
  • Breakfast included
Omni San Antonio Hotel(San Antonio)(Great Value!)
$158
$149
Hotels.com
$1,629
JW Marriott
  • Restaurant
Omni La Mansion del Rio(San Antonio)
$209
Hotel Contessa(San Antonio)
$153
Travelocity
  • Pool
All reviewsocho restaurantbasement barsmeg fridgeocho loungecreaky floorstobin centerhavana barthe riverqueen suitenavarro streetchain hotelsattached restaurantplantation shutterscool hotelcharming hotelan older buildingsan antonio river
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 11, 2011

The staff are gifted and responsive to every need. The rooms are filled with class and comfort for the world traveler. This exquisite property will impress any 5 stàr snob or the precious spirit that seeks high value rest and comfort in an amazing historic property located on the most beautiful part of the San Antonio River. All who work at the Havana seek to please the guests and the owners have given the staff the tools and leadership to make pleasing possible.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Wow, where do I start. Why this hotel has generated so much buzz is beyond me. My wife and I planned a quick getaway based on a "best of" article in Southern Living. I can't believe they even visited the place. The King that we booked transmitted every sound from the hall. It was like sleeping without walls. The bed was like riding a sway backed horse. We couldn't lay down without rolling to the middle. Oh, did I mention that the hotel is next to a fire station? The elevator was like the set for a Dracula movie, pitch dark with red glowing ceiling lights. If you are over 40 forget being able to read the menu in the basement Havana Bar (is the new definition for hip, dark?). The staff was very nice and they were very pleasant about cancelling the last 3 nights of our stay. They understood, and by way of apology noted that they were still working on upgrading the rooms after 8 mos open. This is award winning performance? I guess I am just not cool and hip enough to pretend that his hotel is ready for prime time.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jjchev
Reviewed January 20, 2011

We blocked about 20 rooms for our wedding guests in November 2010, and all of our guests loved the hotel it's just such a different experience from your typical hotels. It's unique, comfortable, ROMANTIC, and just beautiful. The hotel bar was perfect to keep the party going, the bar staff was on top of all of our guests although we were a huge group. The bar setup and ambiance is just a spectacular and as unique as the hotel itself, the cocktails were exceptional specially their mojitos! Hotel staff and management were so accommodating to all of our needs, we were very pleased with our experience at the Havana and can't wait to go back. We absolutely recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2011

It's true, rooms at the Hotel Havana don't have closets. So if you're choosing your hotel based on storage space, this might not be the place for you. If you're looking for a unique property, a great hotel bar, interesting aesthetics and an experience outside the Marriott mainstream, this is a place worth checking out.

I booked the Havana for a week in early January for a work trip after reading up about the hotel bar in GQ, then nearly backed tracked after some of the reviews here. I'm glad I stuck to my initial take because the Havana made for an enjoyable week in San Antonio. The rooms are all different and the ambiance both in the lobby and the rooms is relaxed and comfortable. The mini-fridge is well-stocked (and not absurdly priced) with interesting eats and drinks, and the bar downstairs has great atmosphere. Overall, I found the staff to be attentive but not doting. With a small staff for a small property, you'll run into times when your questions won't be answered immediately. However, I found the staff caring, including a call to my room to let me know the interior light was on in my rental car.

There's no restaurant on site, although word from the staff said the Havana would be taking over an adjacent cafe this year, which would add to the experience. I wanted to spend more time at the hotel, but without food at the Havana that was somewhat limited. There's also no gym, but the property might be be able to find space for one. I saw complaints about noise, which on Saturday night can be an issue because of the bar crowd Every other night of the week I didn't have a problem. Being an old property, you'll here some creaking of the floor boards and people walking upstairs. So be it. That's character for you. The hotel is a short (10 minute max) walk from the bustling riverwalk of mediocre restaurants. Why you'd want to be right on top of that mess is beyond me.

Overall, I had a great experience here and would definitely return. If you're looking for something different that you won't experience anywhere else, this is a place to check out. If you're more into familiarity and the chain restaurant/hotel vibe (and closets), I wouldn't recommend Hotel Havana.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Pete_Sampson
Reviewed December 25, 2010

We responded to good Internet marketing and booked five nights over Christmas thinking it was near the downtown Riverwalk at an average rate of around $230/night for a "terrace" suite, which turned out to mean that it had windows that faced a terrace although the entrance to the terrace was down the hall from the room. We have traveled worldwide and never have we encountered a room that did not have a closet or even a wardrobe. All they had was a multiple hook on the wall behind the door and hangers in the drawer. The antique dresser had no drawer guides so the drawers would fall out when you pulled them out. The antique mirror over the bathroom sink was so tarnished it was difficult to shave. There was plenty of empty space for a wardrobe but not even a clothes bar. Although the location was near an entrance to the Riverwalk the hotel was not actually on the Riverwalk and is about 3/4 mile along the Riverwalk to the downtown area where all the excitement and charm is. Thus, advertising it as a "Riverwalk" location is a bit misleading. The large antique refrigerator was well stocked but there was no coffee maker or microwave. The next day we discovered that at the Drury Plaza downtown offered us a suite with incredible amenities like free breakfast and hot food and free drinks each evening for $100 less per night. Thus, we moved and fortunately the very kind staff at the Hotel Havana accommodated us and released us from a second-night's lodging fee. In summary, the staff were very gracious but there's only so much they could do to overcome the seriously misleading marketing and lack of basic hotel accommodations and necessities such as a closet.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple