“Nice character, but not quite all the way there for the price”
Review of Hotel Havana

Hotel Havana
Ranked #85 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We only stayed here for one night, passing through town. Our room was simple, but tastefully decorated. I liked the wood floors and the bed that was super high off the ground. Bathroom was clean.

What knocks this rating down to a three is that this hotel just doesn't offer some pretty obvious amenities without having to ask. The front desk attendant has to fetch ice for you, for example, and there was no mini fridge in the room. Most hotels have a little booklet with information about services, check out times, etc. Our room just had no info whatsoever and we had to keep calling down to the front desk to ask basic questions. It seemed more like an inn than a real hotel in some ways.

Three good things: nice sitting areas on the balconies outside and the guy at the front desk at checkout was very friendly. The location is convenient to the riverwalk and most of the typical touristy stuff.

That said, I'm not sure I could justify the price we paid versus a chain hotel. Generally, we prefer to stay in unique places, but since we were traveling through and not spending a ton of time in the hotel itself, the charm wasn't really worth 50+ extra bucks to me.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Spent a long weekend at Hotel Havana back in March. My girlfriend and I are from Austin and don't get down to San Antonio much. After this visit we decided that we need to come back more often and stay at the Hotel Havana.

We heard about the property after staying at the sublime Hotel St. Cecila (stayed there last year for a stay-cation and are doing so again this July.) We found out that Hotel Havana, Hotel Saint Cecilia, and Hotel San Jose (in Austin) are all run my the same management.

It feels like an old mansion because it really is! They light some really great incense in the lobby which you can buy easily enough. The stairs are super creaky but it adds to the ambiance of the property. Room was amazing, good view of the area and we loved the vintage refrigerator and furnishings, after waking up from an afternoon nap I felt like I was in another era.

Location is great too, right near downtown but on a side street so you don't get as much traffic. However, around 4PM to 7PM there is a steady parade of city busses passing by the hotel. It's actually fun to watch, head out on one of the three balconies facing the street with a glass of wine and count how many whiz by. There has to be a city bus depot nearby. Also, there's a bit of construction going on right next to the hotel right now. We couldn't hear it if the windows are closed but it was a very minor annoyance and didn't detract from our stay. However, if you make reservations in the near future I would give them a call and ensure that you're either facing toward Navarro St. Again, not a big deal as we were facing the construction and didn't have a problem but we were out exploring all day.

The restaurant 'Ocho' is definitely worth visiting. Drinks and food were outstanding, try to get a table towards the back next to the railing. It was a lot of fun to watch the small tour boats going down the river as it started to get dark.

Hotel is directly adjacent to a walkway that leads to the river walk. A very quiet part of the river walk I'll add. So great to wake up and take a stroll in the morning while it's still cool. Great to have a coffee and watch the ducks swimming around before it gets to crowded.

Staff was excellent. I can't recall any of their names but the front desk staff was friendly and efficient. Had to call down for a few items, I forgot deodorant as I always do on trips but housekeeping had me covered after just giving them a call.

Really happy to say that Hotel Havana is one of our favorite hotels now. Loved our time there and can't wait to head back down!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Bathroom was disgusting. There was hair left behind all over the shower walls, shampoo/conditioner dispensers and shower curtain. Our sheets and towels were also all stained. I have stayed at motels much cleaner than this hotel. When I asked the maid service in the hallway for clean towels I received a roll of the eyes. I understand the hotel was full that weekend and staff was busy, but that is no excuse for a dirty room and poor service. I won't even mention the lack of amenities this hotel has either. Very disappointing and will never stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Laurliz
Hotel H, General Manager at Hotel Havana, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Havana. We truly value the opinions of our guests.On behalf of the Hotel please accept my sincerest apology for your unpleasant stay and that we did not meet your expectations.
Providing our guests with the best possible hospitality and service is extremely important to us. I assure you that I have addressed your concerns.I highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do
If you come back to our hotel I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

The hotel is really cool and the staff is excellent, but the noise from the cooling tower outside room 15 is insufferable. If they assign you this room, ask for another. Other than that, the place is fantastic.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 15 as the A/C/cooling tower noise is insufferable. This could affect other r...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Dgmizey
Reviewed May 6, 2014

There isn't much I can add to what has already been said: This hotel is an experience to be remembered. Not one detail has been overlooked in creating an environment that takes you back in time and place--even that low lighting some people complain about. Wish we could have stayed longer than one night. Loved Ocho, their restaurant overlooking the river. Amazing service and ambiance. If you use the Riverwalk Taxi, it will drop you right at the stairs below Hotel Havana. We'll never stay anywhere else but Hotel Havana in San Antonio. It's wonderful!

Room Tip: The website describes every room in detail.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2014

there was a mix-up with our reservation and the manager handled it all very professionally. customer service can be lacking and hotel havana has shown that it is their priority! we love their sister hotels in austin - hotel st. cecelia & hotel san jose. they are the best choice when you are looking for something different than the rest.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Suzanne R
Ashley C, Director Of Operations at Hotel Havana, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Thank you for posting your great experience We are so pleased that the situation was handled with your reservation and we do hope that with the service that you received that you will return to the Hotel Havana in the future.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

My sister and I stayed here for two nights during Fiesta San Antonio. We loved this hotel; beautiful room, full of character, excellent staff, fabulous restaurant. It's true there is some noise from the bar (our room overlooked the bar entrance), I didn't care because hotels are never silent and it was such a beautiful room. The location is great because it is within walking distance to the more active areas of River Walk, but away from the fray especially true during Fiesta. Warning: if you are arriving during Fiesta there are MANY road closures so adjust your route to arrive from the north (we came south on N St. Mary's Street and turned left on Richmond). I'm not exaggerating when I say that we drove around for an hour to get to the hotel, we were in the heart of RiverWalk about 7 blocks from our hotel, but couldn't get to it because of the parade, our GPS showed some of the road closures some of the time, but never adjusted the route to allow for them. Note to Hotel Havana: It would have been nice to have been informed of this prior to arrival.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends