“Out of the Ordinary - A Wonderful Oasis”
Review of Hotel Havana

Hotel Havana
Ranked #85 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I don't mean this in a negative way at all, but the Hotel Havana is not for everyone. If you want a predictable, cookie-cutter hotel with lots of amenities, you have plenty of other choices in San Antonio.

I chose this hotel based on reviews, and I'm glad I did. After nearly a week of staying in a chain hotel in the center of Austin, Hotel Havana was a delightful respite upon our arrival in San Antonio. It was easy to find, and it's just across the street from the Riverwalk.

Our room had a very high queen bed. I'm 5' 2", and I'll admit to having to put a little effort into getting into it. It was very comfortable! The bathroom had plenty of space and very high quality Red Flower products. Had I known at the time how luxurious Red Flower is, I would've taken another shower! Although we didn't use them, robes were provided.

The very cool SMEG fridge is equipped with all sorts of snacks and libations. Again, we didn't partake, as we had plenty to eat and drink in our short time there.

The porch was wonderful. It was so nice to sit and relax in wicker chairs and watch the world go by. I really felt transported to another time and place.

We had a later (9:30) dinner at Ocho and a fabulous breakfast there the next morning. Portions are generous. We also had a drink in the bar, and it is not to be missed!

Staff was very helpful and friendly. The onsite parking, while a little pricey, is definitely worth it for the convenience. WiFi was fast and free.

Do not stay here if you like ultra-modern furnishings; if the creaks and quirks of older buildings irritate you; if you want to be completely anonymous...

As for me, I can't wait to have a reason to go back again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank beccaruda

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed in room 16, a queen suite on the first floor. 4 years earlier stayed in a regular room upstairs. This is a really nice relaxing hotel. It is on a quiet location on a branch of the River Walk. If you want a hotel on the river, but a quiet area, this is the place to be. It is still close enough to walk to the convention center (quicker if you go street level), dinner or just drinks. They also have a bike-rent location in their parking lot! We rented a bike-even though we had a car- and rode them to the Mexican Market to eat at Mi Terra. San Antonio is relatively flat so bike riding is easy. This is such a beautiful hotel and restful place. We will be back!

Room Tip: Both rooms we had were very nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My partner and I booked and paid in Jan 2013 to stay at this hotel over the dates October 26-29th 2013, as part of a trip from Australia to celebrate a special birthday.

We did not have a special experience with this hotel. Ten days ago I heard from our travel agent advising that the hotel had overbooked and cancelled our booking. This is despite paying in full 8 months prior.

It turns out they had a wedding booked in a few months ago (and months after our booking) and had not bothered to tell anyone.

A week ago I contacted the hotel to get some feedback from them but got no response to my e-mail.

My advice would be to look elsewhere in San Antonio, we have found hotel called the Hotel Valencia, look out for my review in a couple of months.

In summary, a poor experience. The hotel is not even prepared to respond to my e-mail. Its one thing to make mistakes but it is really how you deal with them that matters. Hotel Havana have failed on both accounts, please don't make this mistake yourself.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ChiefsBTB
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as part of our trip to Texas. We had booked a Queen Suite which was gorgeous! Lovely 4 poster bed, cool little sitting area with a SMEG- big enough you could keep your own things in too & the bathroom was lovely!
Each floor had a nice little terrace that you could sit on.
Hotel was in a gret location for the Riverwalk & town.
Hotel bar was great & breakfast was very yum!
Cannot fault the hotel at all & if we ever end up back in San An will most definetly return!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My associate and I were looking to book a Hilton or Marriott on a business trip as we drove into San Antonio. I asked him to check TripAdvisor for something different. We found it. We arrived early and our rooms were ready. What a great surprise. We had lunch at Ocho outside along the river. It's hard to describe just how relaxing this hotel is. Historical, comfortable and yes... a little quirky as previously reviewed....but I can't wait to go back with my wife. Great stay!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I had a relaxing weekend at Hotel Havana. The room was great (we stayed in #13). I loved the decor and the Smeg fridge. Food from Ocho was simply delicious! The only negative was that the room could be a bit noisy as it is right behind the restaurant but I planned ahead and brought ear plugs to sleep with. I'd gladly stay again at Hotel Havana.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Traditional Texas horn furniture, A cuban refrigerator, a bar lit by rows of red candles and a restaurant with unusual dishes that make you want to come back for every meal. The best part though was the staff service at the front desk. We asked to leave our bags before check in and when we came back they had already placed the bags in our room...an upgraded one at that. I recommend the welcome "bucket of local beer" as well. Couldn't ask for a more perfect hotel experience

Room Tip: The rooms with the sky view window and small sitting room are excellent!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple