“Great experience”
Review of Hotel Havana

Hotel Havana
Ranked #83 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed January 31, 2012

We stayed one night at the Havana after the Rock and Roll marathon, 4 couples. Had a great time, Ocho had delicious and imaginative food. The rooms wer cool and different, its really just an old house, more like staying in a B&B. We loved it, hung out on the large balcony. Great location, on the river a little upstream from the touristy Riverwalk area.

Definitely would recommend you give it a try.

Room Tip: We were on the third (top) floor and it was great. I think the first floor rooms we a little less p...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark O
There are newer reviews for Hotel Havana

Reviewed January 30, 2012

I love the location of this hotel. It's on the river, but in a quiet area about half a mile from the downtown section of the River Walk and a mile from the Pearl Brewery complex and the San Antonio Museum of Art. It's a nice walk in either direction, or you can hop on one of the Rio Taxis that run along the river on a regular schedule.

This hotel is beautiful. It's on the National Register of Historic Places and maintains much of it's historic character and charm. I loved the wooden staircase and the beautiful wood floors. For an older building, the rooms were a nice size. We had a Queen Suite, which also had a small seating area, and there was more than enough room for the two of us. The bed was comfy and the ceiling fan would be especially nice during hot San Antonio summers. I also really liked the fully stocked Smeg refrigerator in the room, in lieu of a typical hotel minibar. Free and easy to access wifi was also a very nice and welcome touch in an era when many hotels still charge something outrageous for it.

Since this is an older building, it does have some drawbacks that are inherent with such a structure. The floors creak. You can hear people walking along the hallways outside the room and on the floor above. The rooms are not well-insulated. We could hear every word of the conversation the couple in the room next to ours was having. (Every word. Not good.) The rooms do not have closets, or even wardrobes. There are hangers in one of the drawers, and a pretty, but not really functional hanger thing on the wall behind the door. The bathrooms are very small, and in ours the antique mirror over the sink was so "antique" that it was not really useable.

All of that being said, I would probably stay here again because I loved the hotel's bar/restaurant - Ocho. It consists of a basement level bar and a lovely upstairs lounge area with outdoor seating overlooking the river. We spent much of the afternoon out there enjoying our drinks and some wonderful chorizo con queso. After wandering around the River Walk for the evening, we even came back to Ocho for more drinks and dinner. The service is good, very attentive, and efficient, and the food is excellent. Even if I were not staying at the hotel, I would come hang out at Ocho.

I would probably give this hotel 3.5 "stars" due to the noise issues in the rooms, but I love everything else, so bumped it up to 4.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2011

My husband and I house-hunted before moving to San Antonio. We decided to stay at Hotel Havana on Navarro Street. We truly enjoyed it. It is not for someone looking for big hotel amenities. It doesn't have a pool or continental breakfast. It is just so private and unique!! Our hotel room was similar to a studio apartment, well-furnished. If I had to describe the decor, it was Spanish. Dark wood, wrought-iron, simple white walls, and skylights!! We had a 50s style refrigerator, stocked full of drinks and snacks. And not too pricey either! The room service was excellent. We had delicious Cuban food and a few glasses of wine picked from a short, but well thought out wine menu. I recommend heading downstairs to the Ocho Lounge. They have specialty martinis, mojitos, and of course more wine :) It felt very private and special to stay there. And although it is right by the Riverwalk, it felt like we were miles away from anywhere. Even though we live here now, we will definitely stay there again for a weekend mini-vacation!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2011

Located across the street from the Navarro street staircase to the Riverwalk. The hotel is home to the restaurant "Ocho." This restaurant has the most creative menu in the downtown vicinity. The rooms include "Red Flower" cosmetics and red cotton bathrobes. The bed is comfortable and quiet. I would definitely return. My only complaint is that the lobby staff could not sell me a t-shirt since they did not have a size medium or large

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Soigneez
Reviewed November 24, 2011

We stayed in a queen size bedroom at Hotel Havana for four days and appreciated its funky old world charm. It was an intimate boutique hotel with the feel of a grand inn. I highly recommend for couples and adults who like something a little off the beaten path.

LOCATION: Hotel is on the river and less than a 10 minute stroll to the main section of River Walk. It's situated in a fairly quiet part of downtown that is still convenient to all the sites. We were able to walk to the Alamo and La Villita quite easily.

SERVICE: Staff was extremely friendly, attentive and courteous. We were first assigned a street level room and they were very accommodating when I asked if we could switch to one on a higher level. We were always greeted when entering the hotel and the staff even escorted us to our cars with umbrellas to protect our luggage from the rain as we walked out.

ROOMS: Our room was moderately sized, clean, comfortable. It was decorated with dark, antique furniture styled with a modern take and lined with beautifully shuttered windows that provided lots of natural light. Because the building is old, you will hear some creaks and occasional muffled noise when people walk nearby or shut the door. I didn't find it to be a major problem. Bed was very comfortable and there were nice touches with the 50s style fridge, art deco radio and robes. One point was taken off becaused I did wish there was a bit more sturdier drawer storage for clothing as there are no closets, our nightstand was a little chipped and our toilet seat was a loose (which was promptly fixed). It's a great boutique hotel and great value, but not quite the level of luxury.

DECOR: The decor had a lot of charm that brought out the character of the old building. It was filled with dark wood floors, poster art and unique antique furniture that varies slightly from room to room. The lobby area has velvet covered chaises and chairs and there was even an old-style red striped study equipped with a long table and lights for for reading. The second floor had community access to a beautiful balcony with a cozy seating area to enjoy coffee, lounge or read. Lots of of other neat little details and nooks to discover!

This is more of a hotel for adults as it is a low-key atmosphere not right on RiverWalk and doesn't have amenities like pools and rec rooms for children.

Room Tip: I recommend asking for a room on one of the upper levels for more privacy. Avoid rooms on the first...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Stayed over on a Saturday night and had a queen room on the 3rd floor. Loved the location - on a quieter end of the Riverwalk - the room itself, the wood floors, the furnishings and the Havana vibe. Comfy bed, nice sized bathroom and loved the large fridge. We were staying there with 3 other couples and took advantage of the 3rd floor balcony to get together and have some wine we had brought with us. Having a nice big outdoor space to congregate was a nice plus. Also had breakfast at the hotel restaurant Ocho, and loved it as well. Had a really interesting and delicious breakfast menu - and delicious strong coffee. On the down side, we had a lot of noise early in the morning from birds (grackles I think - they were really super noisy. I had read another review that mentioned birds and I thought they might just be really sensitive to noise, but it really is loud) and street traffic. We also heard pretty much all of the hallway noise when there was any. Since it's a small hotel, not much traffic in each section but you do hear it because of the wood floors and age of the hotel. Also, the elevator is super dark. I know it's a decorating touch but if I were traveling alone it might make me a bit nervous - since it's just 3 floors it's an easy walk up and down the stairs. Lastly, no in room coffee maker (bummer), no closet (weird) and I didn't see a hair dryer/ironing board/iron. May have been a hair dryer - I didn't look that hard for one.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 10, 2011

Booked a spontaneous visit for our anniversary, partly on recommendations from friends. Nice area and neat old building, but otherwise a huge disappointment--and this is normally just my kind of place: quirky and unique.

Problems:
We noticed a few days after booking that they were running a fall special. However, they insist that we have to keep the rate as it was when booked--about $50 a night more. Bummer!
After reading reviews about noise downstairs, I requested by phone when booking a 2nd or 3rd floor room, and was told I was booking a 2nd floor room. We arrive, and guess what? First floor close to the entry, and all other rooms booked.
The bed: AWFUL! I have a 12 year old cheap mattress at home--this thing is like sleeping in a hammock. Super saggy.
I also find the decor really lacking in charm and warmth, bur that's just personal taste. However, don't bother with a suite--the furniture and lighting are such that I have a hard time imagining anyone using it... ?

Seriously considering moving to another hotel for our 2nd night. Big disappointment!

• Stayed: November 2011