“Nice Place in the Heart of San Antonio”

Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio
Ranked #39 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
San Angelo, Texas
“Nice Place in the Heart of San Antonio”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

There was some miscommunication with our booking and the room type, and our king room was not available when we checked in. However, everyone we came in contact with was friendly and helpful. We did have to spend one night in a small queen room, but were able to move the next day.

The hotel itself has been beautifully renovated, especially in the public areas. The rooms were clean and well furnished. However, it being an older hotel, there are some pitfalls, like some odd shaped, small rooms and rooms with not much of a view (like our standard queen, room 636, which was right next to the elevator, so we heard the "dings" most of the night and the window looked out onto the AC equipment).

We had breakfast the first day in the hotel restaurant, the "Market on Houston Street." I felt the price was fair and definitely comparable to other hotel restaurants. We had the "omelet" station, which was a buffet type meal. The omelet was perfectly cooked (Thanks, Ronald!) and the meal included bacon, sausage, potatoes, and various breads and pastries. The second morning, we ate in the club lounge and it was also very good. The club lounge staff is very attentive, keeping the food plentiful and the room clean.

You can't beat the location, either. It's not directly on the Riverwalk, but close enough to not be inconvenient. We easily walked to the Alamo and River Center Mall.

So, in spite of some early disappointment, I will not hesitate to stay at the Gunter again, and I do highly recommend it to others.

1 Thank Traveln_Texan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas
Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Gunter is centrally located within walking distance of Riverwalk attractions. Our two room suite on sixth floor was large, comfortable and quiet. Queen size bed too soft but pillows and linens okay. Lobby elegant. Parking $28 per day.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Carol G
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Took a little trip to San Antonio and booked through Priceline...was awarded a decent rate for one night (about 30% off). We were pleased with our stay, so much so, that we went to the desk and booked an additional night to spend more time with friends.

When we inquired about an additional stay, and chatted up the night auditor and MOD, Mr. Brandon Traeger, we were amazed by his friendly attitude and helpful demeanor. I had made mention of the fact that I was a retired firefighter, and he actually called up to the room about 5 minutes after we left the front desk to tell my wife that he had changed our room rate. The price he extended to us was MUCH less than our rate from the night before (it was almost 50% off the normal room rate).

On to the hotel itself...beautiful lobby and great bar! The bartenders were friendly and the atmosphere was elegant, yet casual.

The room was rather large. We had a king-size bed and it looked small compared to the rest of the room. The bed was real comfortable, and the room was quiet.

Overall, a great place to stay! My wife and I had a great time. We had one small problem...the sink was a bit clogged and drained very slowly. We reported this to the front desk, and they were quick to fix the problem.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Stayed here overnight. Our room was on the 4th floor. Hotel was beautiful. Our room was adequate and extremely clean. The bed was a little softer than I'm used to, but still comfy. The hotel is pet friendly, but the place you have to take your dog for a walk is a park about a block away. The hotel is close to the Riverwalk and close to the Alamo....easy walking distance for both. Parking is by valet, for a price, or you can park yourself across the street...cheaper to do that.

Service from everyone was great!

I did not use the hotel restaurant or bar...to many other restaurants on the Riverwalk.

Room Tip: Supposedly a murder was committed in a room on the 6th floor back in the 60s...this room ismsupposed...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
SOBXer,
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback. We are so delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay and that you enjoyed the hotel, with all of its newly refreshed space. I am so pleased that you found the location to be perfect for your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area.
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Recently renovated space ... lobby & Club Lounge were elegant. 1 bedroom Suite I had was well appointed & large. I did see a standard room through an open door on the hall & it looked VERY small. Staff was polite & helpful.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Thomas Z
Thomas,
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Our goal is to provide superior service and accommodations to each and every guest that stays with us. As you have pointed out, we too are excited about the changes that have been made with the renovation and appreciate the specific feedback about how we are improving. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Graham, Texas
Reviewed July 16, 2014

While this hotel has a lovely lobby and great location, the rooms are awful. Mold, mold and more mold in the bathroom. I was hesitant to even take a shower. 2 hours after check out I phone the hotel to advise them I had left 3 pairs of pants in the closet. Well, needless to say, those pants are no where to be found. Dining at the on site restaurant was lackluster as well.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Emily D, Portfolio Reputation Manager at Sheraton Gunter Hotel San Antonio, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
ShellsTexas,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding your most recent stay. We truly value your input and very much rely on you to help us improve. I would like to truly apologize that we missed some important opportunities to provide you with a flawless experience. We strive to exceed the expectations of every guest who stays with us, and regretfully in your case, we failed to meet that criteria. Your willingness to share your thoughts with us is genuinely appreciated. Please contact me directly so I have a chance to follow up with your concerns. I look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back again.
Portfolio Reputation Manager - Sheraton Gunter San Antonio
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Lobby is gorgeous! The rooms are dated to say the least. When I checked a room without a closet, I asked for a change. The young woman at the front desk was an absolute delight. She not only offered me an upgrade, she made a few great recommendations for places to visit. Upgraded to a 'Preferred Guest' room, I thought it would be of typical Sheraton quality. No! The room had dirty light fixtures, rotten wood in the door frames and a tub that hasn't been upgraded since the Nixon administration. I decided to sit in the concierge lounge (a perk of my upgrade) to relax and, quite frankly, search for other hotel options, when I met Denise, the hostess in the lounge. She, too, was a delight. When my key didn't work later in the day, the manager, Rob, escorted me to be sure all worked as planned. I decided to stay based on the wonderful hospitality - despite the decrepit condition of my room and the pool area.
Then, came Amy. She was the less than cordial front desk clerk who felt the need to share with me that she'd had a long day when I asked her to (again) fix my key. When she didn't see the lounge access upgrade on the room, she not only refused to fix my key, but she told me she didn't have time for "this" - despite there being not another soul in the lobby. She was rude and even when on to tell me that there was "no one in the entire Sheraton corporation" who could fix my problem at 7 pm on a Tuesday evening. "If my manager wants to fix it, I'll have him leave you a message when he gets in at 10[pm]."
Not even a chance I'd recommend this place to anyone. If you have mediocre facilities and an amazing staff, I'm willing to overlook a lot. But when your 20-something staff is rude, condescending and just plain ignorant, NOPE!

Room Tip: Steer clear of the rude front desk "supervisor' named Amy.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
JH,
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable comments with us. Let me assure you that we take great pride in our service and anything short of fantastic is not acceptable. I am sorry that your experience did not reflect this. Please know that we will use your feedback as a training tool for members of our reception team to prevent any reoccourances.We have undergone updates to improve the hotel and will use your feedback to guide us during future improvements. I hope to have a chance to welcome you back.