“Not very nice.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 41 San Antonio B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Not very nice.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I assumed I would be staying in the beautiful white house that you see in the photos. However, I booked a hostel room and found out that my room was in a multi-room shack next to the house (possibly the slave quarters?). The rooms were surprisingly comfortable thanks to the air conditioners. There is a pool. The bathtub was rusted out.
I only stayed two nights, but got insect bites around my ankles that only itched at night. I looked it up on google and it looked like bedbugs. They went away on their own but I had those bites for four days and may have spread them to the next hotel that I stayed at.
If you do stay here, make sure you stay in the house and don't let the lady at the front desk talk you into staying next door.

Room Tip: Make sure you stay in the white house and not the muli-room shack next door. Insect repellent?
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank WinstonD

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

If you want to be freaked out by the lady who runs it, if you want to be followed, harrassed and taunted by the 'friendly' neighbourhood boys while on your way to the shops, if you want to be told that the hotel is fully booked but not see a single person around the place the whole time you're there, or if you dont want to listen to the cab drivers who tell you not to go to this area, then yeh come here!!!

word of advice. stay away.

Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank simone h
Haarlem, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

I was happily surprised by the nice room I got. I did not expect it for the low price. The Inn is a beautiful historic building and the furniture matches it.

There is also a computer with internet and a printer to use for free in the common area, which was really convenient for printing out bus tickets and boarding passes.

There are not many bathrooms but they were clean and I never had to wait to use one.

A negative is the location, it's quite far from down town by bus, because the bus takes a round about way. But the bus stop is close by and the neighbourhood felt safe even if a little rundown.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank AnnaNLCH
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

On July 21 I stay three nights and thought it was great. The breakfast, staff and Inn was wonderful.
I will definately be back next year.
Robert

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank southern46
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

The house is beautiful - if you love architecture as I do, it is worth the stay just to wander through it. Built in 1904-ish - 10,000 square feet, high ceilings, etc. My huge room was well appointed and clean.

The problems I had were that the other guests were not considerate. They made a lot of noise on the upstairs landing at midnight for so long that I finally had to ask them to quiet down, which they did, but it took me a couple of hours to get back to sleep.

Along with that, all guests had to share a bathroom. The other guests were drying clothes (including boxer shorts) and towels - taking up every rack and spare space in the bathroom. They also took up all the shelves inside the shower. It was the owner's responsibility to take note of this when/if cleaning the bathroom and ask them to take their things to their rooms.

The price is a good value. The neighborhood is a run down, but I didn't feel unsafe.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
NorthernCountrygal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

What a great place to stay if your looking to stay as a large family group in a home setting. Awesome old mansion that is being restored, sure it has some minor defects. But for those of us with older houses we sure know how it is. Hostess built a fire in the fireplaces in the morning to enjoy with the wonderful homemade breakfast she made. Coffee was out and ready in the morning. Felt like home, come down the stairs in the morning to the smell of breakfast cooking. Sit on the huge front porch, and we got to sing and relax in the evening. Got to know the other guest, and alot of the local history. We enjoyed walking in the area, and local folks were so friendly also. Thanks Bullis house, if we were ever to go back to San Antonio, we know we would stay again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2008

My sister and I stayed in late September and arrived very late.
The hostess waited up for us and had the air conditioning on in the room and the ice bucket full. It was so great especially after being from California and not being use to this hot climate.We felt so welcomed.
We hope someday to come back and bring our families.

Karolyn and Peggy Williams

• Liked — The hostess, food and Inn.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)