“I have mixed feelings”

Ranked #111 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“I have mixed feelings”
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We selected this hotel because of the full kitchen and the indoor heated pool. The first day, we went for a swim and the pool's heating element was out. We already had the toddler ready and excited for the water so we had to hop in the hot tub. Then more guest came and tried to pile in the hot tub with us. Not ideal. This happened twice during our week long stay.

We were missing a stopper for our bathtub and the maintenance guy gave us a stopper and a screwdriver to fix it ourselves. My husband is handy, but it was puzzling as to why we had to fix it ourselves.

Our safe wasn't working, but that was remedied quickly. The staff was friendly and the GM was always present and was friendly with the guests. However, he seemed to only magnetize to the guests that stayed there awhile instead of meeting new guests. We stayed there a week and he only introduced himself once we told him about an issue we had. This issue was when one of the staff members just walked into our room, with no knocking or announcement. I was napping in my nightgown with my toddler in the bed with me. He claimed he thought no one was there!! How can you assume when guest are in or out of their room? You should knock or the hotel should have alerted guests that staff would be coming around to upgrade TVs. It was very awkward because he didn't announce himself or even wear a name badge. The GM stated he would resolve the issue for us.

More than anything, the beds were HORRIBLE. We had a two queen beds so my son could have his own bed. The bed that my husband and I slept in sunk in the middle. We had to sleep on opposite ends, otherwise, we would roll towards one another. So my husband slept on the couch and I had to sleep with my son and his bed squeaked.

The staff was great. There was one front desk staff member who wasn't as friendly. The breakfast had a good variety. Some of the time it was cold.

Overall, the hotel was clean, it had a great location and we enjoyed our time there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Robert C, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio SeaWorldR/Lackland, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Micaggie,
I appreciate you taking the time to let us know where we need to improve. I have taken a personal note to ensure I greet each and every guest I see not just the ones I know. I have addressed the maintenence issues you brought to our attention. I have also conducted a training session with all staff members on the proper procedure to enter a room that is in occupied status.
I hope that if you are ever back in our area you give us a chance to show you our improvement.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Sumner, Washington
Reviewed January 21, 2014

BEST stay in any hotel and we are avid Disney Resort travelers. During our 4 night stay, the staff and management helped us to feel like extended family in ever aspect with their exceptional hospitality. All of the staff were very friendly, helpful and truly interested in the reason for our travels to San Antonio and were very helpful in answering questions and suggestions for activities. The breakfasts were better than your standard continental breakfast and several evenings they offered socials were guests could meet and visit over a FREE HOMEMADE dinner, a glass of wine and beer. We were directly next door to a great steak house (Saltgrass), a beautiful movie theater (son was graduating from Lackland AFB and missed opening day of the Hobbit - so having a theater next door was great) and a full sized mall around the corner. Great central locations (within 10 - 15 mins to everything) airport, Lackland, Seaworld and Riverwalk). The room was perfect - great beds and lots of pillows, sitting area and a full sized kitchen. We will be staying with Marriott properties again and will be happy if it is half as nice a stay at this was.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Robert C, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio SeaWorldR/Lackland, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Sarah M,
Thank You for the kind words about our Hotel. I will pass them along to my staff. It was a pleasure to read that we made you feel like family. We wish your Son the best of luck with his Military career.
Six Mile, South Carolina
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed for 4 days while going to our daughters graduation from Lackland. The staff was extra accommodating toward us while there. Special appreciation to the front desk Marissa and the office manager, Robert Murillo for going beyond being nice helping with numerous questions and offering information and accommodations. They made you feel like your part of a family and not just a visitor. The breakfast that was served each morning was very good, not artificial like some places. It was real eggs, bacon and sausage and a pleasant greeting from the staff to go with it. The burger,beer and wine nights provided in the evening was an extra that allowed you to to meet others in the hotel. In which I found out that they also accommodate both handicapped people as well as allow pets in certain rooms. The rooms were great for multiple people as it provided the extra room so you didn't feel cramped. Ours had 2 queen beds, a sofa bed, plus a kitchen. They also accommodate for smokers even though its a smoke free building. Rooms were clean and the extra amenities were equally clean as well. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub as well as the fitness room almost daily. Would I visit them again? Yes, and I will, as I need to go back to San Antonio again to watch my daughter graduate from her med tech school. If your looking for a nice place to stay with friendly a atmosphere, this is a nice place to stay. Especially if you like more than a room with a bed and a bathroom.

2 Thank edward s
Robert C, Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio SeaWorldR/Lackland, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Edward S,
it is a delight to hear that our staff made you feel part of our Family. I am glad that you were able to partake of our bountiful breakfast and social hour. I will pass along your kind words to Robert Murillo and Marisa. We look forward to hosting you again when you return for your daughters graduation from Medical Tech school. Please pass along our gratitude for her service to our Country.
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Our family (kids ages 4 & 8) travels 3X per year for Xmas, winter, and spring breaks to get away from Seattle gloom. This Xmas was San Antonio.

Location: We wanted to stay downtown San Antonio, but didn't want to pay $300/night, so chose this location instead. Note that while it's called "Residence Inn Seaworld" that the hotel is located along I410 in a relatively isolated area (eg: not an area nice for walking around), and that Seaworld is approx 25 minutes drive away. Not much else around but strip malls, and corporate low-mid tier chain restaurants.

Reservation: We reserved a 2 BR suite to accomodate grandma, who joined us this year. We arrived at 2:30 (check in is 3pm). They gave our reserved suite away, and assigned us 2 neighboring rooms instead. We reserved a suite to make coordination easier, getting ready in the mornings, packing, eating breakfast, etc. 2 rooms makes things higher effort. While they didn't give us a price break, 2 rooms were cheaper than than the suite.

Room 205: This room was in poor cosmetic condition. Bathtub tile damage was crudely repaired with sealant. Front door alignment was off, as when you close the door, it took a couple trys to get the latch to catch. Paint on door, wall trim, etc was chipped. Fabric on couches was torn. There was visible damage to the door where the security lock was bolted on. While I did not have any concerns about functionality, the poor appearance did not sit well, in the same way that the appearance of graffitti bothers me when I see it. However, I do want to note that hotel staff was always very friendly, and helpful, which is something that you can't say about every place, so a big plus there.

Cleanliness: While on the surface everythings appears neat & tidy, when you take a closer look, there are obvious shortcuts--debris under the sofa, bed, in closet. Lots of long blond hair collected onto my socks (our family has dark hair) from the carpet. A number of dishes had crusty spots from food residue. It appeared that some of the cups had not been washed. Also, mis-matched settings: 4 plates, 3 bowls, 3 cups, 2 spoons, 4 forks.

Other: This is a loud hotel, just like other hotels we've stayed at that market themselves as a destination for local theme parks, so be prepared for this situation. It is not a place to stay if you want a peaceful, beautiful location. This is definately budget-oriented, though a cut above Motel 6. I do feel that there were disappointinting aspects listed above. If i were to return, I would try to find a different location, closer to downtown, or closer to the actual theme parks.

1 Thank buttersnotch
Robert C, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio SeaWorldR/Lackland, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Buttersnotch,

My Staff and I are greatly disappointed that other than our Customer Service we were not able to meet your expectations. We will attend to the cosmetic conditions you encountered immediately. We can all agree that the "Devil is in the Details". Thank You for taking the time to let us know where we need to improve. I can guarantee you that your comments will be used as motivation to make us a better Hotel.
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed December 28, 2013

First, to begin with, I have been in the hospitality industry for over 10 years. My wife and I have ate at some of the best high end restaurants in the United States, and we stay in hotels all over. Most of the time, our experience is always just average, but not so at the Residence Inn at Sea World in San Antonio. I have never seen a staff so trained in hospitality and customer service. Every attention to detail was impeccable, and they genuinely care about their guests needs. Robert Cantu III, the General Manager, makes sure that every guest is 100% satisfied, and he is one of the best in the business. In a world where hospitality seems to be a dead art, this hotel surpasses every expectation. I felt as if we were staying at a 4 star hotel with the way we were treated by the staff. We were welcomed with warm arms as if we were family. If you are ever in San Antonio, look no further, this is the place!
Ryan Dunn

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Robert C, General Manager at Residence Inn San Antonio SeaWorldR/Lackland, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Mr. Dunn,
Thank You for the kind words about our hospitality. I will pass along your comments to my staff.
I hope your trip to New Orleans went well. If I am ever in Savannah, GA I will take the AFTERLIFE TOURS. Maybe I will see a GHOST!!!!!
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. The staff was outstanding! Everyone spoke to you, saying hello. Anything you needed or asked for was done with a smile on their faces. The rooms are spacious and have everything you need. The breakfast had lots of choices and the social evenings were a hit. They were also very accommodating for a late check-out with having our graduate with us. I really cannot recommend this hotel enough - either for a graduation or just to visit Sea World and San Antonio. It was close and easy to get to. But again, the staff made it all the better! Stay there - you won't be disappointed!

1 Thank Donna W
Donna W,
Thank You for the kind words about our service. We take pride in making our guest feel welcomed. I will let our staff know how you feel about them.
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We travel alot- but usually rent condos or single homes.Staying here was perfect. The staff was exceptional. They give you a 5 star service. They are ready and available at all times. Our room was great. The pillow top mattress was perfect. The breakfast had alot of choices. The adjustable shower heads provided hot forceful water. It was quiet. Plenty of places to eat nearby. Movie theater next door. The family style dinners included in the stay was very enjoyable. My husband was thrilled with free beer!

• Stayed December 2013
pegleg6,
WOW. Thank You for the 5 Star comment. It is always a pleasure to impress seasoned travelers.
If you are ever back in our area please look us up.