“WORST HOTEL EVER”

Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #60 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My family and I were on a 6 day texas vacation. We decided to stay at this location, due to its proximity to the river walk and other attractions. We purchased a room with a balcony. Upon checking it , we noticed the room was small for a double queen room. The balcony of the hotel was small and barely fits three people on it. There is no chairs to sit on the balcony so it is pretty much useless. They have no room service. There is also a barista down stairs that claims they serve starbucks. but it tastes nothing like it. The walls were paper thin and you can hear everything. The last night of our stay. The room next to us sounded like it was rented out to a family of baboons. The whole night after midnight, I heard a door slamming, babies crying, and people shouting. It woke us all up. I figured a call downstairs would resolve the problem, so I called down. They said it would be taken care of. 30 min later after the call. The banging and door slamming continued all night , by this time it was well past 2 am. Waking up my wife , the in and out slamming. I called down again, the front desk explained that they took care of the problem and although it still persisted , they would send someone up. So an hour goes by and finally the banging slowed down. Finally We began to fall back asleep , when all the sudden at 430 AM. I heard what I thought was a horse or some sort of animal being choked and killed in the room next to us. This sound went on for about 30 minutes through the paper thin walls, when I finally realized it was some person puking and making a horse choking sound as they puked. Finally at 5:00 am the sound stop. I did not get one ounce of sleep. In the morning I complained to the front desk and demanded I wanted a refund for the room. The manager said she we would give me points on my card. WTF, I do not want points. I wanted a refund, because I will never stay at a marriot again. NEVER STAY HERE EVER! By the way, may bathtub is bigger than their swimming pool

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jimmyp2525
Kellie S, General Manager at Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review regarding your stay at our hotel. I apologize for the actions of other guests in the hotel and apologize that we were not able to neutralize the situation quickly. I have already met with our security staff to review this incident and make certain that our procedures are followed to take care of complaints of noise in a more proactive manner. I do admit that our hotel is very unique for a Courtyard as we are right on the edge of the action and do not own our own parking lot. This is very typical for urban hotels and San Antonio is no different. Our parking rates are comparable to most other hotels in the urban core/Riverwalk area of San Antonio. Thank you staying with us and I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We had a great time in San Antonio and alot of that had alot to do with picking a nice hotel in a great location right on the Riverwalk where all the action is. The rooms were very small as stated by others but to be honest, I was rarely in my room so it was adequate for out needs. The service we received at the front desk and when PICKING UP our car with the valet was awesome.

We did experience (2) issues. When we requested bedding for our pull-out "chair", they told us it would be delivered in 10 minutes. After 25 minutes we called and they said it was on the way. After another 20+ minutes, it finally arrived....so 45 minutes in all. Secondly, the valet service when DROPPING OFF the car was terrible. This is mostly due to the limited space they had to work with but the valet's didn't appear in any hurry to get the cars moving and there was a line of cars backed up on the street and trying to get in. I know it's hot in Texas but the valets in Vegas RUN to get your car so these guys couple have made more of an effort to get teh cars parked.

1  Thank Mike S
Kellie S, General Manager at Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. We certainly appreciate that you chose to stay with us while in San Antonio. The title of your review states one of our great advantages. I will continue to act on any and all service challenges/failures experienced by our guests and will continue to train on a sense of urgency for delivering guest request items as well as the sense of urgency for the valet service. We are challenged by the amount of space that we have for dropping off and picking up cars and we try to make up for that with adequate staffing and hustle. I have addressed the issue with our valet management and hope to not have this happen in the future. Thank you again for staying as well as contributing to Trip Advisor.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

This Courtyard is right on the Riverwalk close to most of the activity (but yes, opposite the Rivercenter and the Convention Center as other reviews have mentioned). The "upgraded" room with a Riverwalk view is a VERY small room. Only a few rooms on each floor face the Riverwalk and as you are winding your way around the other rooms to get to these three rooms at the end of the hallway, you realize the non-upgraded rooms have to be much larger. On Saturday morning, at 6:00 a.m., the wait to get your vehicle from valet was over 30 minutes. Surprisingly, when we checked out on Sunday, the wait was only 10-15 minutes. It should be noted that the parking garage for the valet is down the street and not close by, so make sure you call for your car well in advance if you are in a hurry. We had to be somewhere at 7:00 on Saturday morning! While the fitness center was fine, the pool has to be the smallest ever--but it is outside as opposed to most Courtyards with the oppressive indoor pools. And while everyone must be cutting back, the size of the nice Paul Mitchell shampoos were a joke. Oh, JWM, you disappoint me. **sigh** Overall, much like McDonald's, Courtyards continue to be exactly the same when you walk in and you get that familiar feeling of being "home". Just work on the valet services and give extra shampoo! PS--forgot to add that you do need your room key to go anywhere on the elevator. One of ours was perpetually not working and I waited a long time on Saturday for a new key to be delivered in order to go workout. They did promptly bring me a blow dryer.

Room Tip: If you want the Riverwalk view, be prepared to be in a smaller room.
1  Thank Blythecats

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Courtyard Riverwalk. Our urban location does give us some challenges that we hope are made up by our attention to the guest and location. Our hotel is an urban hotel, with a real urban feel. Our frontage footprint on St. Mary’s Street is 50 feet wide by 17 stories tall. On a main artery in San Antonio, the front of the hotel faces the Riverwalk and St. Mary’s Church, while the back is directly on the San Antonio River. This really gives some better views (in my opinion) of the river from the St. Mary’s side as opposed to the river side. It is by all means a unique hotel and many of our guests appreciate this uniqueness. Small pools and valet only parking are hopefully made up for by a caring staff and a location on the San Antonio River that is exceptional. Please request extra shampoo during your visit and I will forward your perspective to our Courtyard brand team regarding the size of the amenities. I apologize for the key issue. Thank you so much for staying with us and I will use your critique as a training tool for giving better guest service in the future.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel is what you would expect from most Courtyard Marriotts. The staff was friendly and the rooms were great. The best thing about this hotel is the direct access to the riverwalk. We had a room with a very nice room. Request a room on a high floor facing the river if possible.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luv2trvl81

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with the Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk Hotel. We truly appreciate your comments and were glad to see that you enjoyed our friendly staff, and great views at our Riverwalk location. We look forward to seeing you again upon your next visit to San Antonio!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed her for a convention. We didn't realize that we'd be walking .8 miles one way to the convention center! That's our mistake though. Checking in was no problem, the front desk staff are all extremely nice and went above and beyond. Our room was nice, but small. I slept like a baby, as the bed was super comfy. Our room had a view of the pool and a wall. The pool is probably the smallest pool I have ever seen at a hotel. Tiny! I probably would not choose to stay here again just based on the proximity to everything. It's a little far from the more exciting places on the Riverwalk. However, if you don't mind the hike and won't be using the pool, this would be fine.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Kellie S, General Manager at Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on Trip Advisor. I greatly appreciate your kind comments regarding our staff. Being an urban hotel with a compact pool area, I do understand your comments regarding the size of our pool. Thank you for staying with us, and we truly hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was my second visit to this hotel . After checking out I went to the airport where I realized that I left my phone charger in the room. I called the hotel and "Nicolas" said he would check the room and get back to me. About 30 minutes later, I had a return phone call. Nicolas had my charger and said he would send it to my home at no charge. Two days later a fedex parcel arrived at my home with my charger. And at no charge to me!

This hotel is not a "luxury Marriott", but it is on the Riverwalk with access to its varied restaurants and nightlife. The staff is friendly and obviously very responsive to customer needs as based on my experience. Rooms are not huge, but are clean and well furnished with all the amenities. I would definitely stay at this property again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate you kind comments regarding your stay, particularly with regards to our staff’s dedication and the quality of our guest rooms. I look forward to sharing your feedback with Nicholas. Please come back to see us when you next visit San Antonio as we truly look forward to an opportunity to take care of your needs once again.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Sorry but I was not impressed with this hotel. If you get a room with the city view, there are city lights that will shine in your room even tho the room has blinds, they are not the darkening type. Our room was lit all night long, room 1113. They need darkening drapes on this side of the hotel. The balcony is painfully small. I wouldn't call it a balcony even, more like a bumpout. The pool is the smallest pool I have ever seen with a Marriott hotel, and there is no breakfast, which was disappointing also. Also, the couch is very narrow and the rooms are very small. The bed was very comfortable though. I'm giving it an average rating because of the room darkening issue. BTW, do not be fooled by Google maps as it pinpoints this hotel as having a roof top pool. It doesn't. The pool is on the third floor. The roof top pool on Google maps belongs to the Drury Inn next door. Don't book this hotel for the pool. You will be disappointed

Room Tip: try to get a room with a river view. we were told none were available when we checked in but I didn...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to respond on Trip Advisor regarding your stay at our Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk. I am very disappointed that our property was unable to meet your expectations. Please know that a solution for the drapery issue you mentioned in your specific room is underway and will be resolved soon. Thank you again for taking the time to review our property. I would certainly welcome an opportunity to speak with you if you would like to contact me directly.