“OK - if you like San Antionio” 4 of 5 bubbles

Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #45 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas
“OK - if you like San Antionio”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend in February when my husband was on business. Overall, I was not impressed with San Antonio. The hotel is right on the river walk but a bit off the main drag of it which is good, because I imagine the river walk would get noisy if you were staying right there. San Antonio itself is maybe not for everyone - I found it to be a little charming, but mostly full of drunk people wandering around narrow river-walk streets overflowing with restaurant chairs, mariachi bands and, to boot, there was no railing - I have no idea how many people fall into the polluted river every year.

ANYWAY, the Courtyard was actually quite nice. The staff was super friendly, the room was very nice, the hotel had amazing security (which seemed like it was needed - I didn't feel all that safe unless I was down on the river-walk, and I am not one of those "I never feel safe unless I'm in the suburbs" kind of women), and the bistro staff was quite good as well. The gym, although small, had everything I needed including one of the best elliptical machines I've been on in a while (I made note of the model in case we move to a bigger house so I can have a home gym). I would recommend the hotel. San Antonio - not so much. But the hotel, definitely.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MJPourpak

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Victoria, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

I absolutely love this hotel. The Asian inspired, feng-shui designed room greeted me like a small paradise retreat. The bathrooms were ample in size and beautiful. We have stayed twice and both times, it was romantic and inviting. We could have spent the entire weekend in the hotel. The balcony was small but the view of the non-crowded side of the river was a treasured find. We rarely saw another guest even though the hotel was booked. The valet parking was reasonably priced. If I had to point out one thing I disliked, it would the delay in check in and check out. However, everything else more than made up for that!

• Stayed December 2011
2 Thank Nikki W
Saratoga Springs, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

Hotel was a little hard to locate and when I did find it, I was concerned that most rooms might have an alley view...that was until I checked into my room and had a great view of the riverwalk area. Hotel was typical Courtyard setting, (which I always like), in an older hotel building - done nicely. I found the staff to be very nice and helpful when I had problems printig up boarding passes...I have security, front desk ETAL working on the problem at 1:00AM... Anyway, will gladly stay there again...

Room Tip: Be a rewards member...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Waterloo, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

I stayed at the Courtyard River Walk with my husband for three nights in January. Nice location, clean hotel and very friendly staff. However, the bed and pillows were very uncomfortable. The bed was very hard so perhaps would be comfortable for some people. The heating/ac unit was so noisy that we even turned it off but it actually made more noise then; I assume the condenser was the main problem, there was no way to stop the noise. One day we did not receive any housekeeping services although when I called the front desk to request fresh towels, my request was responded to immediately. The day of our checkout both mine and my husbands key card were erased prior to our checking out. It took multiple trips to the front desk to obtain new keys that would actually work. So several hassles made this trip less than ideal however every interaction with the hotel staff was pleasant.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Angela R
Kellie S, General Manager at Courtyard San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our hotel and we welcome all types of feedback. I am sorry to hear your stay was unsatisfactory due to the quality of sleep. Please note we are looking into the noise issue and will have a resolution quickly. I appreciate your comments about our service and staff. We pride ourselves on our team members and the service they provide. I’m happy to discuss your stay further if you’d like to contact me directly. Best Regards, Kellie Smith, General Manager
Yorktown, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

The hotel is located on the actual San Antonio river on the opposite of the Riverwalk's flood control. We arrived 2 days after heavy rains and flooding. Since the hotel is on the river side of the flood control the hotel it had some damage and interruption to phone, cable, and internet service. We did not hold this against them because it is out of their control. The staff was nice but not particularly helpful or knowledgeable about the area. The small restaurant in the lobby seemed to always be out of what we wanted to order. I laughed when I read pool reviews; however they are correct. The pool is the size of a large hot tub, always in shade, and it was very dirty. Finally, we did notify the front desk that it appeared that a toddler had used the drapes in our room as a napkin.

Nothing offensive about this hotel, it's just average.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Montgomery, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

Went for the weekend, hotel is located so close to the riverwalk you can hear the music. My room was spacious and clean. Staff was very nice and the lobby was a clean area.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

First of all, I cannot say enough about how great the employees at this hotel were! They are friendly and helpful from the moment we checked in until the minute we left. Everyone was quick to share any suggestions or help with directions. They also had no problem extending our checkout time when asked.

Second, the location really can't be beat. It's on a quieter end of the Riverwalk with direct access to it. Our rooms didn't overlook the Riverwalk, but there were plenty that did. It's a short walk to the lively restauarants, the Alamo, and Market Square. The location is really great and the hotel is extremely secure, requiring room keys to get in the doors in the evening and to use the elevator. While we felt the area was pretty safe, there were also a lot of people wandering around.

The standard rooms are on the smaller side, especially with the amount of furniture in the rooms. That being said, they are comfortable and nicely appointed with a sitting area. We appreciated the rotating table for the TV, so we could watch it comfortably from bed or the couch. There was a mini-fridge in our room, which was a nice touch for our leftovers. We never saw or were bothered by housekeeping, but our room was always attended to by mid-afternoon, which was nice when we were ready for late afternoon naps.

We didn't use the pool, but we did see people using it on a rather warm day (50s-60s) in January, so it must have been fairly warm.

Valet parking is $27+ tax which was standard for all the hotels on the Riverwalk (we checked) and even the Market Square Fairfield, so we couldn't really complain. Internet was free and worked well in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony or room with a riverwalk view.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family