“Would stay here again”

Ranked #87 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Phoenix
“Would stay here again”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I travel for work and this hotel is close plus they have a shuttle. I love staying at this hotel because not only is the staff nice but several of them remember me each time I stay. The rooms are nice and I love the pillows and comforters. The dinning room food is pretty good. They have a couple of somewhat healthy options. I would suggest they update the menu but I do enjoy the pizza and the mobley chicken salad. Very good coffee for a hotel plus they have the flavored creamer which I must have. I have stayed at this hotel for weeks at a time and would recommend. It is not a fancy hotel but it is friendly and safe which are the most important to me.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Micheala L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Hotel not well signed from the highway and GPS was incorrect. Call the hotel or check website for best directions. Very clean rooms, helpful & friendly staff. Had more of an Embassy Suites feel to it. Lots to do within a short drive. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank EmilyMc77
Lansdale, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Unusual layout for a HGI, not the normal "cookie cutter layout" as are all the others (which is actually nice if you travel a lot). Very strange layout--only 1 entrance so inconvenient for parking near your room. Open atrium layout with an indoor pool on the 1st floor so it's louder than other HGI's. The entrance from the highway is just awful--you can't see how to get to the hotel as there is no sign from the road---they must fix this as if you miss the turn (as I did)--it's a royal pain to get back. Overall OK--but not great.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank babcme
Michael R, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport. I am sorry to hear that there were portions of your experience that you did not enjoy. I would be happy to discuss them further with you. Please feel free to contact me by phone at 210-494-7600 or email at michael.rosen@hilton.com. Again I do apologize for your experience and I thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was really surprised by the how much this HGI reminded me of Embassy Suites. The hotel has four floors with an open atrium broken into 3 section. 1st section overlooks the lobby and front desk, 2nd section overlooks the breakfast area and the 3rd section overlooks the swimming pool. I did miss the turn into the property and had to drive around the block as the signage is not visible from the frontage round until after you pass the hotel. Once I arrived and checked in didn't have any other problems. Not a fan of the beds but slept comfortably. Room and bathroom were both clean. Breakfast in the morning was good. Service was a little slow but staff was friendly. I would recommend and will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kermitthefrog66
Michael R, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for your recent stay. I'm glad you slept comfortably and found the staff friendly. We look forward to seeing you again.
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I am a Priceline queen, meaning I am spoiled to naming my own price and I am pretty frugal. Hotels are the one part of my vacations that I will spend a bit more on to guarantee that I will be comfortable at the end of the day. The architecture when you walk in is amazing. It really is a beautiful building!

The other reviews are right about the entrance off the access road being inconspicuous. The property, while accessible from the highway, is tucked back a bit so you don't have the constant freeway noise. The rooms are arranged in a long rectangle, many of them overlooking the indoor pool. I was on the third floor right above the pool, but didn't notice any noise from people swimming. When I was going back and forth to pick up friends from a concert downtown, it only took me 15 minutes each way. That's really not a far drive at all. There are also restaurants all around this location, and a Target just half a block away.

The staff is friendly and accommodating. During my first stay, I thought I had requested a room with two queen beds, but I may have gotten mixed up since I had booked 3 different trips in the same week. Niya, the front desk clerk, took it in stride and set us up with an alternative, doing her best to make sure we were satisfied.

I happened to get this hotel doing the whole 'name your own bid' thing, but I don't think I will be chancing that again. Honestly, I would rather pay a few bucks more to be guaranteed a room in this fabulous hotel. The rooms are spacious, there are plenty of TV channels from which to choose, and I do like the security precautions as well. After (I believe) 11pm, you must either have a room key to get in the front door, or someone must buzz you in. That means that no one will just be able to wander in unannounced.

Really, though, what sets this place apart from the rest is service. On my second stay, Niya remembered me and greeted me brightly, and made a fuss over my son to help him feel welcome. I had been nervous bringing a special needs child that depends on routine to a strange hotel, but she helped set him at ease. Every time she saw us during our comings and goings throughout the weekend, she was always pleasant and engaged. I travel a lot, and the attitude of the people at the front desk really can set the tone for your stay.

That is why I will plan to stay at HGI in San Antonio every time I go back.

Room Tip: I noticed that they offer not only wheelchair accessible rooms, your choice of smoking or non-smokin...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Cala J
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay here again. We were late arrivals, and when we checked in, our requested king room was not available, so they offered us tickets for free breakfast. The room was very clean and spacious, the bed and pillows were fabulous!! I wanted to bring a pillow home with me! I loved the interior of the hotel with the all of the rooms opening to the atrium where the indoor pool and dining room are located. Breakfast was nice with made to order omelets, fresh waffles, and plenty of other selections. The chef and staff were great with service. We left with the impression that it was a very well managed hotel, convenient to the area, and looking forward to staying here again!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank mandmslover
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Nice convenient hotel to airport, downtown via 281 and to northside shopping. Unique layout has inside pool aka embassy suites like and has a huge tall atrium. However same Hilton Garden inn services.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends