“Poor customer service at the Hilton Garden Inn in San Antonio.”

Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport
Ranked #96 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Gainesville, Florida, United States
“Poor customer service at the Hilton Garden Inn in San Antonio.”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

I stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn hotel in San Antonio near the airport (Room # 430) on June 29, 2012 and I was satisfied with my room but NOT satisfied with the check-in process and the hotel manager. I arrived at the hotel at 4:00 PM on Friday, June 29, 2012 and I had to wait in line to check-in on a pre-paid reservation. There were two customers in front of me and I thought the wait would be short. I was wrong. I did not time how long it took for me to check-in and receive my room access card, but I know it took much longer than any other hotel that I stayed in San Antonio the previous week.

The customers before me had their complainants resolved and they both received a breakfast voucher for a free breakfast in the hotel’s restaurant. I received nothing but a traditional “I am sorry you had to wait” response from the hotel manager. When I arrived there was only one employee checking in customers at the front counter. I am not sure why it was taking this employee so long, but she should of sensed that other customers were waiting for quite a while and to call for back up assistance. When she finally got back up assistance from the hotel manager, the manager seemed bothered to be at the front counter and was not very friendly. She only offered a mere “I am sorry you had to wait” response when I complained that I had to wait longer than I needed to on a pre-paid reservation. I had already paid in advance for my room, but I had to wait for more than twenty minutes to get my room access card so that I could put my bags in my room.

In addition, when I returned to the hotel after my evening activities around 10:30 PM, I was unable to get inside my room because the room access card did not work. I was given two cards when I checked in, and only took one of the cards when I left the hotel. When I returned at 10:30 PM, my card did not work. I had to take the elevator back down to the first floor and explain my problem to the employee at the front counter.

I did not have these problems at the other hotel (Hyatt Place – Airport South) in San Antonio that I stayed at the previous week. I experienced too many "little issues" at the Hilton Garden Inn. I doubt I will ever stay at another Hilton Garden Inn based on my experience at this hotel on June 29, 2012 (Room # 430).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Tom B
, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
I am very sorry for the issues you experienced during your stay at the Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport. I can assure you that this is not the way we typically do business. Please contact me at the hotel if you would like me to further assist you. Thank you, Rene Vasquez, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Phoenix
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed one night for business. Jessica had my check in information ready when I arrived at midnight. It literally took me 30 seconds to check in and be on my way to my room and bed. She was great and very helpful after my late flight into SAT. I stil remember her greeting me 50 feet away from the front desk. Thank you very much.

After a short but comfortable nights rest, I arose at 5:30am to go for a run outside. Jessica was still there and still had a smile on her face. I asked if she knew a good route to run 4 miles around the hotel and she quickly grabbed a map and traced out a route for me. The run was great thanks to Jessica's recomendation.

When I returned to the hotel, Jessica offered me a towel and advised breakfast was being served which I took her advice and had a wonderful breakfast for $10.00.

After breakfast, I showered for work and left the hotel I returned around noon and asked if I could stay until 6pm for a fee. The new front desk staff advised Jessica had already set this up and I would be billed accordingly. The best part of the late checkout was coming back from my work and going up to my room and having my key still work. I cant tell you how many times at other hotels this happens to me where I return from work, go my room and my key doesnt work. Its a small thing but I really enjoyed my entire stay at the Hilton Garden Inn SAT.

I travel 50 nights a year for business. If someone complains about this hotel, dont believe a word they say. It just isnt true or they just really are miserable individuals or the are just ignorant. I am betting ignorant. Thank you for a wonderful stay. I will be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport. We really appreciate your comments!
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We were moving form San Diego to San antonio, we stayed to the HHonor hotels the whole way. When showing up in San antonio, I searched the area close to our home and Huron garden inn popped up. We got there at 3am and went up to our room. First thing we noticed was it was super hot in the room. We turned the air down and laid down. We both woke in a sweat! We contacted the GM and was given a free night. We stayed and then stayed again. Turns out the free night wasn't free!!! This many not matter to some people but I am in the US Navy and am about to start school. I am not rich. I live comfortable and would see
Paying if it was worth it. So be careful!!!

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
I have read your comments and apologize for your experience here at the Hilton Garden Inn. We take all of our guest comments very seriously and it is critical to our success that we use them as a training tool. We will review your comments with our entire staff to help prevent these issues from happening again. Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback, and please accept my apology on behalf of our entire team.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We just spent two nights at this property and had a wonderful experience. Neah at front desk is AWESOME! She is professional, helpful & friendly -- we really enjoyed talking with her. Check-in was quick & easy.

Our room was super clean & bed was very comfortable -- the jacuzzi tub was a nice surprise and such a treat. Great flat screen tv -- plus the air conditioner worked great on the hot San Antonio days (Our only room issue was with the lock -- each time we came back to our room we had to have the key reset.)

Jimmy and his staff in the breakfast area are so much fun -- we enjoyed waking up each day to their sunny smiles & exceptional service plus breakfast was super fast and really good.

Parking was free and we had no trouble finding a parking spot. (The pool is indoor and on the small side -- but very clean) Exercise room was nice & clean. Property outside was well maintained & welcoming.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and will return on our next trip to San Antonio!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 1Beth
rbvas881, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Thank you so much for staying at the Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, and we would love to have you back the next time you are in San Antonio! --Heather Phipps, Sales Coordinator
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I've become accustomed to H Garden Inns setting a pretty nice standard in "value" hotels. This site is pretty dog-eared. Appears to be short-staffed (front desk staff cheerful and do what they can, but stretched in too many directions to, for example, recommend a local Mexi restaurant to get some recommendations for local massage). First floor carpeting dog-eared and torn, indoor pool so fetid that there were not even any children splashing around. Gym has two treadmills and an elliptical - no bikes. Rather disappointing - again, versus HIlton Garden Inns in cities like Charlottesville, VA, Columbus, OH or Portland, Maine.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
rbvas881, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us due to the facilities. We are looking forward to our renovation scheduled for this year, and we would love to invite you back to see the changes. --Rene Vasquez, General Manger, Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I just completed my stay at this hotel for several nights. I was a little worried about the noise level since it was so close to the airport. But, it was the complete opposite. It was peaceful and due to the proximity to the airport, the free shuttle was quick and easy too. The room was spacious, clean and well maintained. From the shuttle driver to the gals at the front desk, I received nothing but warm smiles and great hospitality. I look forward to coming back and experiencing the San Antonio love from this great group of folks and hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank bflo_grl
rbvas881, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, May 12, 2012
Thank you so much for your review of the Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport. I'm glad you enjoyed the accomodations, and that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We appreciate your business.
Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Have stayed here several times and they never disappoint me. Staff is very helpful, check-in and out are fast. They are responsive to requests and shuttle service is generally quick to arrive. Breakfast selections are plentiful and good tasting. Property, inside and out, are well maintained. Quiet at night

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Glenn M
rbvas881, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, June 10, 2012
Thank you for staying at Hilton Garden Inn San Antonio Airport!