“Nice and good service, just a but (a big one)”

Staybridge Suites San Antonio NW Medical Center
Ranked #106 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a recently renovated Staybridge Suites. I think it was supposed to be a non-smoking hotel and they decided to assign the 3rd floor to smoker guests. The IHG chat representative didn't ask if we needed a non-smoking or a smoking room, and I noticed the problem too late. The front desk manager kindly gave us a discount for having to stay in those rooms (thank you!). I have been in smoking rooms before without big problems, but these ones had a very strong odor. We had to open the windows whole day and night to be able to sleep better. Breakfast was good, within expectations, and the evening reception they give Mon-Thu seemed very good! Room was in very good condition, beds were very nice (very important). DVD player is a good choice because we carry kid's movies, and they have some for lending. A very nice outdoor area to spend a good time with family. The pool was very standard, I'd like to see small area for kids, but it was heated and clean, very nice. Just like the Homewood Suites in front of this, where you could see the age of the hotel was in the elevator. NOW COMES THE BUT: we require a good internet service. I had read reviews about this in TI and I decided to take our chances. But the reports are true: the internet service is terrible in the rooms, no wi-fi connection at all. There's an ethernet connection, but who carries ethernet cables these days? Even in the lobby the connection was slow, but you could connect, which was an improvement. We had to use our very expensive roaming connection because we needed the service for work. So, I loved many things and we love its location too, but unless they do a real improvement in the internet service, my husband won't want to get back.

Room Tip: The smallest the number, the farthest from the elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
DanielFOM28, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear MexicanMom, I want to first thank you for taking time to review our hotel . We do have designated smoking rooms located on the third floor we try to accommodate all room request if they are available . We are currently working on adding more access points to the property and upgrading our bandwidth so that internet connectivity will no longer be an issue. Again thank you for your comments and we hope to have you back at out hotel.

There are newer reviews for Staybridge Suites San Antonio NW Medical Center

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We loved the breakfast and the social hour during the week nights. The appetizers and drinks were more than enough for dinner. The location is about 25 minute drive to downtown San Antonio, which was okay for us. The location was good, we felt safe... went for a run every morning and enjoyed the beautiful weather! The pool was nice, with gas grills too. The kitchen had more than we needed, was great! The service was wonderful, too. I had trouble with the wi-fi and they were quick to fix it and get some tech support.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear PoofBear, Thank you for the great comments regarding the breakfast and social hour I will update our attendants about the positive comments they have received. We apologize about the WIFI and im glad to hear our support team was of help during your stay.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

You have to be careful as you could miss the street to turn as it is in an out of the way site.
hotel was very clean, friendly staff and always looking out to be of service. Close to a busy area but no road noise heard from the room. looks like it was recently remodeled

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear LGL, Thank you for the wonderful review our hotel renovations were completed in June 2012 and we appreciate you taking notice. If you ever find your self back in San Antonio we would love to have you back .

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have never stayed at a Staybridge Suites before so we were going into this with minimal expectations. This was a Last-minute-Spring-Break-travel-with-Dad-on-business-getaway to San Antonio. What could go wrong? Well, it started out horrible...

We we showed up for our stay here and our room was not ready. The only thing they had available was a SMOKING room with two double beds. After they saw the looks on our faces, the manager quickly called up corporate to explain the situation we were in and convinced them to upgrade us for free to a two bedroom suite since they were booked solid on their regular rooms! This was far above and beyond what we expected. I had read the reviews from others stating that the customer service at this location was great, but this exceeded our expectations. I travel a great deal for business and will definitely be adding this property to my list of mainstays. Great job!

The hotel is better then expected as well. They have games and movies you can borrow and the rooms are very clean.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
DanielFOM28, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Dear John P, Thank you for the wonderful comments about our staff we strive to be one of the best in guest services and I'm glad to know it shows . We will be happy to have you back on property anytime you are in San Antonio.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I like Staybridge Suites. I use them often on business trips, so it makes sense to stay there when traveling for leisure as well. We stopped for one night at the Staybride Suites Colonnade while passing through San Antonio on a mini-vacation. This property was a bit challenging to find, and our first effort was using the address printed on my reservation from the hotel website. Our GPS led us to a business park somewhere. Realizing the hotel was probably not in the middle of an office building, we used our GPS search feature, looked up nearby “lodging,” and selected the property from the list. Sure enough, the address printed on our paperwork was a different address than the one that showed up on the GPS. I’m not sure what happened, but we eventually arrived.

The desk clerk at check in was very welcoming, in fact all the staff we encountered were professional and pleasant. We were upgraded to a one bedroom suite with the typical Staybridge layout, but atypical décor. The room was quite modern and beautifully decorated. This was the first Staybridge property I’ve seen with such a pleasant style. Housekeeping did a great job preparing the room. It was very clean and inviting.

The breakfast at this Staybridge was similar to other properties, except the eggs seemed particularly tasteless at this one. I don’t see this as a real problem however, because there are plenty of other good options. The breakfast buffet was well-stocked and the counters clean. There was also plenty of seating space in the great-room.

While we enjoyed this property very much, but there is a real drawback with the internet. The internet in our room was so slow it was in effect non-existent. We finally gave up on it completely. It’s a good thing this was a leisure trip, because out of necessity if this had been a stay for business I would have no other choice but to check out to find a hotel with better internet access. I will definitely take this into consideration when choosing a hotel in San Antonio for my next business trip.

One last note. We had one issue during our stay that was quite serious. We were extremely impressed with the way it was addressed, by both the young lady at the desk and by management. In my opinion, this is what makes a great hotel.

So will I recommend this property to others? Based solely on comfort and customer service I can absolutely recommend it. If you need internet though, you might want to think about it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
vpt4320, Manager at Staybridge Suites San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

We appreciate your feedback regarding the breakfast and staff. I will definitely pass your comments along to the staff. My sincere apologies on trouble locating the hotel through your GPS. We are listed at 4320 Spectrum One, San Antonio, Texas 78230. Please type in the word One when entering our address in your GPS system. We found that most people use the number 1 as oppose to the word One and has deviated them to a different location.

In regards to the internet. My apologies on the speed of your experience. We are happy to inform all our future guest that we will begin an extensive upgrade on our wireless service beginning in early June 2013. We will install new infrastructure to ensure our WI fi is up to our guest expectations.

Please consider us on your next visit to San Antonio.

Again, Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Fortunately, I have been very lucky with hotels in San Antonio and the Staybridge was another great choice. Staff was very attentive and customer-focused and check-in was a breeze. It must be a Texas thing! Room itself was clean, smartly furnished and had a good wi-fi signal. Only thing I would do is probably update the desk chairs to a more ergonomic model. Both breakfast and the evening social hour food component were decent with plenty of choices and staff available if you needed anything. Plenty of wine and beer available as well!. Housekeeping did a good job keeping room clean. Just remember that Staybridge only does a light cleaning service for stays under 7 days. I would definitely choose this hotel again on business in San Antonio.

Room Tip: Rooms looking out on inner courtyard were very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear UpTownLes, Thank you for the great comments! We, as a staff, love to hear that we made your stay enjoyable and memorable.We look forward to any future visits you may have at our hotel,Thank you again.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

First thing, I was traveling with my wife and three kids (5,8,10) so a little separation in a hotel room is a big bonus. This room was a King one-bedroom with double doors for the bedroom and a foldout couch in the living room. It also had a nice, small and well stocked kitchen with a bar/bar stools for meals. There were LCD TVs in both rooms with a DVD/VCR player in the living room along with a selection of DVDs in the lobby that guests could check out (very nice touch!).

The bed was comfortable, nice pillows and pretty clean. Nice, comfortable chairs, decent towels and very quiet. We never heard a noise from the other rooms and I know that there was an occupied room next door. Another big bonus! Plus there was free and very fast WiFi that never had a glitch even when I had to update my tablet's OS over the air.

Now, for the negatives: We never used the telephone in the room but it really should be taken out and burned. It looked like it was from the early 80's and I was afraid to touch it based on the yellowish color. Not sure if it was dirty or just old, but I wasn't taking a chance. Also, the room looked very nice and mostly clean, but there were some rust stains on the vent above the shower and some over-painting in several locations that made it look like it was in need of a refresh. Not a big deal, but not great. Lastly, we found a couple of crushed up crackers in the foldout bed so I'm not sure how thoroughly cleaned it was before we moved in, although the linens were nice and clean.

All that being said, they still get 5 stars for one reason: the staff was unbelievably friendly and helpful! I feel like a real schmuck for not jotting down their names, but the girl who checked us in was genuinely friendly and went overboard to make sure we were all set in the room and the girl who ran the breakfast room was attentive and cheerful. Not to mention that the breakfast was actually very good with even some fresh fruit, cheeses and tomatoes thrown in with the standard eggs, sausages and waffles. I didn't get a chance to speak with the manager, but he/she is obviously doing something right to have such a great staff.

We will definitely stay there again when we are back in town!

Room Tip: We had room #239 which was in the far-right corner with only one room adjacent. Very nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Craig T
vpt4320, Manager at Staybridge Suites San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

CraigT. I appreciate your honest feedback and I first want to Thank you for pointing out what a great staff we have. I truly feel fortunate to have a staff that cares. My apologies for the minor issues you experienced and I've addressed the cleanliness issues with my Management staff. The telephones, although, a bit outdated are cleaned thoroughly. I will definitely do some research on what it would take to update our phones, however, I appreciate your honesty. We hope your next visit to beautiful San Antonio you consider our property. Again, Thank you for your feedback and I will share this with the entire staff. Thank you.