Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Central San Antonio
Ranked #166 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Lumberton, Texas
“Beware”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I hesitated to even review this property because I was worried about retaliation, but the more I thought about it, the more I felt guilty for NOT exposing them.

I booked this hotel after reading some nice reviews about it on Trip Advisor. So, when we actually got to the hotel, I was a little shocked.

Our room was on the bottom level close to the pool. While the atrium and the area around the pool was really nice, the rest of it was seriously lacking.

Our room had a really musty smell. Like the carpet had been wet numerous times and not cleaned properly. It wasn't necessarily filthy, but it was in serious need of some updating and repair. Some of the marble was cracked and chipped off where the counter was and the corners of the end tables were crumbling. Our door didn't shut all the way. You could lock it, but it had a half inch gap above and below where the lock was all the way up and down the door. Also, apparently someone actually ran into the hotel wall outside where our room was and it has yet to be repaired.

It had a really nice pool and hot tub, but the jets didn't work. The breakfast consisted of cereal and donuts and little stuff like that. You could get one of the employees to make waffles for you if you wanted them. It wasn't bad, I just chose not to eat it. The nicest thing I can say about our room was that it had the coldest air out of any hotel we have stayed at in the past year!

The room was spacious, but could have been so much nicer with just a little effort.

My REAL complaint is that, when we were checking out, we were given an orange slip of paper. They apparently are offering discounts for people who give them good reviews on Trip Advisor. I can't say that ALL of the "perfect scores" people have given them here are a direct result of that, but if they are.....be prepared to be disappointed. I booked based on some of those reviews and now I'm left to wonder if they were false.

Funny thing is, I actually already intended on giving them a decent score because of the low price, location and the quiet atmosphere (and cold air...a really big deal for my husband when we travel!) I just think it's dishonest of them to "buy reviews".

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sarah S, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Central San Antonio, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
We would like to thank you for being our guest. Thank you for the feedback you provided in your review. Let me assure you that management has taken the necessary actions to correct the issues you have addressed. Guest satisfaction is our goal so we take every complaint and act on immediately. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to San Antonio. Also we would like you to know that we are currently upgrading each room to give you the best guest experience every time you visit.

Sales Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Spring, Texas
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Had reservations on Memorial weekend for 2 nights(Saturday & Sunday night). Traveled from Houston early Sat. morning to spend anniversary weekend with my wife. Stopped by hotel at 10:30 am when we arrived in town to touch base with them about my request of a downstairs room. I was told no problem it was taken care of. Wife and I left for the day and returned around 7:30 that night. We were told that the heavy rain that early morning got water in the room and that they had cleaned it up and that the carpet was damp. I ask for another room but was told they were sold out for the night. I went to look at the room, and when I opened the door the smell in the room was a terrible moldy, musty, sour smell. The carpet was WET not damp from wall to wall.

My wife and were going to have to cancel the weekend getaway and just go back home when all of a sudden then front desk manager said somebody just cancelled for the night and we have another room available. This carpet in this room was only a little wet just in side the door and did not smell as bad as the other but it did have a musty smell. We were told that they would upgrade us into a much nicer room the next night so we agreed to stay.

Next day we went out to do some things around town. We returned around 4:00. When I went up to the desk the front desk manager had me the key to the room they promised. I went to check it out and when I opened the door was I surprised. There was trash on the bathroom floor, an ironing board and iron in the middle of the walkway, and no sheets on the bed. Went back to the front desk and ask if they were serious. They had no clue the room was not cleaned. By this time my wife was ready to explode on someone.

I saw the owner/general manger and demanded he sit down and discuss this, and he did. After about 30 minutes with him in a room with nothing but excuses we decided to just go back home. I ask if he would refund our Wyndham Rewards Points I used to pay for the second night stay he said no. He said he has bent over backwards for us already. All he kept saying was he would give us a reduced rate on another stay in the future. I had call Wyndham Rewards and talked to them for about 30 minutes and they got my points for that stay refunded the next week.

All in all, stay here at your own risk. Owner/ General manager is nothing but excuses.

Room Tip: Check with another hotel. You have been warned.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sarah S, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Central San Antonio, responded to this review, July 5, 2013

Sales Director
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My family and I showed up at 3 am with a dog. Hotel price was very fair. instead of charging us for 2 nights they charged us for 1 night and a $30 early check in charge. Amazing!! i have never even heard of that.

Secondly, my boys and I missed breakfast which ra from 6:30-10. At 10:30 I woke up and came down and asked Laura Laborico if there was any way we could eat something. Without hesitation she made that happen with a smile.

The staff here was nothing short of AMAZING!! I would stay here again and again hands down. rooms were nice and my shar-pei was welcomed and he didn't even have to be on a leash out in the atrium.

Definitly one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had. Thanks you all!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sarah S, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Central San Antonio, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
We appreciate you taking the time to give us a good review regarding your stay at our hotel. We are always glad when a customer enjoyed their stay. We hope to see you on your next trip to San Antonio. Thanks again for review, we really appreciate it.

Howard Johnson Central San Antonio