I hesitated to even review this property because I was worried about retaliation, but the more I thought about it, the more I felt guilty for NOT exposing them.
I booked this hotel after reading some nice reviews about it on Trip Advisor. So, when we actually got to the hotel, I was a little shocked.
Our room was on the bottom level close to the pool. While the atrium and the area around the pool was really nice, the rest of it was seriously lacking.
Our room had a really musty smell. Like the carpet had been wet numerous times and not cleaned properly. It wasn't necessarily filthy, but it was in serious need of some updating and repair. Some of the marble was cracked and chipped off where the counter was and the corners of the end tables were crumbling. Our door didn't shut all the way. You could lock it, but it had a half inch gap above and below where the lock was all the way up and down the door. Also, apparently someone actually ran into the hotel wall outside where our room was and it has yet to be repaired.
It had a really nice pool and hot tub, but the jets didn't work. The breakfast consisted of cereal and donuts and little stuff like that. You could get one of the employees to make waffles for you if you wanted them. It wasn't bad, I just chose not to eat it. The nicest thing I can say about our room was that it had the coldest air out of any hotel we have stayed at in the past year!
The room was spacious, but could have been so much nicer with just a little effort.
My REAL complaint is that, when we were checking out, we were given an orange slip of paper. They apparently are offering discounts for people who give them good reviews on Trip Advisor. I can't say that ALL of the "perfect scores" people have given them here are a direct result of that, but if they are.....be prepared to be disappointed. I booked based on some of those reviews and now I'm left to wonder if they were false.
Funny thing is, I actually already intended on giving them a decent score because of the low price, location and the quiet atmosphere (and cold air...a really big deal for my husband when we travel!) I just think it's dishonest of them to "buy reviews".
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Howard Johnson- Suites by Wyndham offers their guests large, spacious suites that are designed to bring Comfort to any kind of traveler. Rooms are equipped with the following amenities: Microwave, Mini Fridge, coffee maker, iron/ironing board, hair dryer and room safe in every room. We serve a hot breakfast every morning. Complimentary High Speed Wireless & Wired internet access. Fitness and Business Center and guest laundry room available On site.Conveniently located off of Interstate 10 West near Loop 410, just minutes from all of San Antonio's favorite attractions including the Alamo, downtown Fine Dining, the famous River Walk, La Cantera Mall, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Sea World, South Texas Medical Center, The University of Texas, The University of the Incarnate Word and much more. Every Suite faces a tropical inner Courtyard view overlooking a Sparkling Swimming Pool and Heated Hotub. Four guest entry doors are secured by guest room key access. Choose The Howard Johnson Suites by Wyndham for a great stay at a quality price. As part of the Wyndham Hotel Group, Rewards members are always welcome! Don't forget to provide us with your Wyndham Rewards Number to get your points! Go HOJO & Go Happy!! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Central San Antonio reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Howard Johnson Inn And Suites San Antonio / Balcones Heights
- Howard Johnson Inn & Suites San Antonio / Balcones Heights Hotel San Antonio
- Howard Johnson San Antonio
- San Antonio Howard Johnson
- Howard Johnson Balcones Heights