Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Central San Antonio
JW Marriott
  • Restaurant
$239
$219
Comfort Suites Alamo/Riverwalk(San Antonio)
$134
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Omni La Mansion del Rio(San Antonio)
$239
Omni Hotels
  • Restaurant
All reviewswafflessuper targetbreakfast roomextended stayfresh towelslarge roomenjoyed my stayfree breakfastmicrowavecerealfreewaydryertexasclerkhousekeeper
Reviewed August 18, 2012

The only positive part of the stay was the staff. My room was dirty, there was grime around the nozzles of the sink that was never cleaned during my three day stay.. I thought the inside of the toilet was just stained until I cleaned it myself. I found roaches in the restroom on two different occasions. When I pulled the bed spread back on my mother's bed I found a very noticeable earring back. Which makes me believe the linen was not fresh.The breakfast was a joke. The building is old and needs a lot ( a lot) of work.I picked this hotel because of the previous reviews, but I was very disappointed. I will never stay at a Howard Johnson property again.....

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel. Do not stay here!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

My first thoughts are...who are these people that rated this motel so high?? Management? Employees? Owners?

I can only comment on the room. I did not use any of the facilities or free breakfast bar. The pool looked nice but I didn't use it. When you arrive at a hotel and there are very few cars in the parking lot, it makes you wonder.

The lobby and entrance were nice and clean, but needed to be updated. There was nobody at the front desk and after waiting several minutes, someone finally showed up. He was very courteous and friendly but didn't seem to be in a uniform.

We upgraded to the executive suite which was supposed to have been recently renovated. The room was $ 79 for the night. As we entered the room, the first thought I had was it was old and dirty. I just felt dirty and musty. The only that had been renovated in this room was the the tv. It had a large flat screen tv mounted on the wall but the remote control didn't work. The bathroom needs major renovations, very old with water damage stains visible. The towels were like sandpaper. The bed was very firm and sheets seemed clean.

Overall, I would not stay here again. It is less expensive than any other hotels around but still not worth the money. For a name brand chain, it is bad. I couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank hogman111
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This place is the biggest dump I have ever stayed at in my life. The rooms are old and dirty the place is old and dirty and needs to be condemed. The hotel allows pets and it is clearly noticeable the rooms smell like dog and are filthy. The ice machines are noisy and dont work and the breakfast is a joke I wouldn't feed my dog that stuff. The only reason I had picked to stay here is because they are pet friendly but at the last minute found a dog sitter but it was too late hangs my reservations to some were else. BIG TIME DUMP!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed here because it was close to FiestaTexas and much cheaper than the motel we stayed at the last two years. This place could use some updating, but our rooms were clean and so were the facilities! The staff were very helpful. The second night, there were some guests who were talking very loudly out in the courtyard after midnight. I called the desk and the noise stopped for about five minutes and started again. I called again and the desk said she had talked with everyone who was outside and she would call the police to handle the matter. In about fifteen minutes, absolute silence. We really appreciated the prompt attention to this problem, which can happen anywhere.

The pool is well maintained. It was closed for an hour one day because some bugs needed to be cleaned out and the pool needed more chlorine. When they say the pool closes at ten, they do mean ten. The gate is locked.

The breakfast was typical. Waffles (which were made by an employee which really kept down the confusion), cereal, rolls, coffee, milk, juice. etc. There were not enough tables during the busiest time, so we took our breakfast back to the room. Although there is a big sign that says "Please do not take food to your room" no one said anything.

So yes, we saved a lot of money! Would go back again! Recommend this hotel to anyone who needs value and cleanliness. Great staff also.

Room Tip: The rooms are built around a courtyard. You should ask for rooms toward the back as there is a busy highway out front.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Sarah S, Director of Sales at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Central San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear Valued Guest, We appreciate your taking the time to give us a good review. We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Antonio.

Sarah Stefano
T: (210) 738-1100 Ext. 304
F: (210) 738-1230
E: hojosalessa@gmail.com

Reviewed July 11, 2012

My family of Five Stayed at this hotel during our family vacation from 7-4-12 thru 7-7-12. The service was great. The staff was professional and accomodating. The always gave us the needed the information and towels when we requested.....we used alot of towels. The gym could use some ventalization....but yeah who works out anymore these days anyway when their on vacation....ok....we do.....that aside great service all the way around...they even gave us a little extension on our check time...we had alot of stuff...LOL....Go here and have a great time while on vacation....last note....the pool was very nice as well. My kids had a blast!!

Room Tip: The higher rooms seem to be more comforable....
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family