“Great resort (almost like a Four Seasons)”

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Santa Monica, California
“Great resort (almost like a Four Seasons)”
Reviewed February 21, 2007

Before I went, I noticed the mixed reviews of this hotel. I was actually unsure about staying here, but had to spend the night in San Antonio.
I had a GREAT experience. I highly recommend this hotel. Best Westin I've stayed at by far, and I like Westins.
The hotel is nicely situated out of town, in a newer residential community and very close (but not too close) to the best mall in S.A., that actually has a brand new Neiman Marcus and a Nordstrom. I don't care about such things, but if you do, you have to drive right by it to get to the freeway. Can't miss it.
The hotel sits on top of a hill and has a view of the whole city. Built in 1999 (I asked), all the rooms have been recently remodeled (or so I understood). I was upgraded to a beautiful casita room with its own golf cart to get you around the grounds. There wasn't much of a view, other than trees (and you share your patio with 2 other rooms), but it worked out well for me. The hotel itself is 7 stories high and some rooms probably have very nice panoramic views.
The front desk staff was extremely welcoming and friendly. I mean, extremely. A very nice gentleman who's worked at other Starwoods in New Orleans and now works in S.A. took me down to my room and showed me how to drive a golf cart (I don't golf). Very patient, very friendly. The man and woman who were responsible for guests at the casitas also could not be nicer. I would venture to say the service was at Four Seasons Hotel levels, which for a Westin isn't that common.
My room was large, beautifully decorated, with a very nice marble bathroom that feature two sinks and granite counters. Beautiful striped carpeting and beautiful wood, leather and cowhide furnishings. Not at all the uniform green, modern Westin look (which I like, but...). Texan, but sophisticated. Loved it.
My room service dinner was delicious (burgers and pie) and delivered quite quickly, considering the casitas are quite a distance from the hotel. The room service attendant was really friendly and nice, too. GREAT beds! Slept very well.
A few quibbles. The casual restaurant is really depressingly decorated for dinner and filled with families with screaming kids. Just follow the high-pitched shrieks downstairs and you'll find it. I went right back to my room and ordered room service.
Didn't check out the "fancy" restaurant, so I can't comment on it. Also, the place seemed full of conventioneers of some sort, who arrived in several huge buses like cattle. But they were very well behaved, so I can't complain. Might be a problem with other groups, but it wasn't for me.
All in all, a great stay. I would definitely recommend staying here if I were to return (I found there was no reason at all to stay in downtown San Antonio). Seemed like the best hotel/resort to stay at in the area. Really made my overnight visit memorable.

• Liked — Great service, beautiful room
  • Disliked — Casual dining restaurant
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Andrew W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Chicago IL
Reviewed January 25, 2007

I arrived here late night for a 3 day work trip. Everyone who greeted me was professional and curteous. My room was average sized I would say. The bathroom was large but the shower and tub seemed dirty or worn - I wasn't sure which. The second showerhead didn't work and both were somewhat encrusted with lime. The spa products they boast on their site are in cute little bottles but I suspect in reality they were cheap as they were watery and unimpressive in execution. The window didn't open all the way. The heavenly bed pillows looked old, worn and generally beaten up. The chair and desk were drab and typical. The TV was old too. It was rather dark and I felt a depressing room overall. Admittedly I am a hotel snob and had my office not been footing the bill and I hadn't been dead tired I would have complained. I just really didn't have time and didn't feel like switching rooms. The pool are looked nice and the lobby and bar were great. I just would never pay $250 a night to stay here.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The Bathroom.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank ChicagoFemale
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 2, 2007

We arrived at the Westin LaCantera at 1:00 a.m. on December 26th. The hotel, while difficult to find in the dark, was lovely. The front desk staff was wonderful and attentive. Our luggage and golf clubs had been delayed and didn't arrive until the next afternoon. During this time, the hotel staff provided us with just about everything we needed to tide us over. Our room, at the end of the hallway on the 6th floor, had two balconies. The view of the hilltop and the courses was splendid. We had a wonderful experience and will be sure to visit again.

• Liked — Room was spacious and had a great view
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for whatever you may need - you'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed December 2, 2006

Our family recently visited the La Cantera for a one-night getaway out of Houston. I had stayed their once before when it first opened, and was impressed - but it was the summer - and there were TONS of kids. 1st of all, the Hotel itself is beautiful. The Westin took a unique approach - the building is only 6 stories, but very spread out. The outside is composed of white stucco and limestone. When you pull up to the hotel, you are immediatley greeted by very friendly bellhops, who promptly open the doors to your car and the hotel. You go through the front door into a beutiful spacious, yet intimate, lobby with two fireplaces and VERY comfortable seating. The front desk is off to the side of the lobby, and the staff was very friendly.

The rooms are nice - I would expect them to be a bit nicer based on the rest of the hotel, they're pretty average. We had a hillside view, which was breathtaking, and both of our two rooms had balconies, The heavenly beds were awesome. The overall decor of the rooms was a little blah, but it was alright. The bathrooms were okay, the lighting was really bad, but other than that it was fine.

The restaurants onsite were excellent, but slightly overpriced. One of my complaints about the hotel was the pool area - it wasn't maintained very well during the winter - the pools were heated, but they were still freezing.

The Shops at La Cantera were very nice, and it featured some high end stores - Tiffany's, Neinman Marcus (the only one in San Antonio), Burberry, Louis Vuitton, and your typical Abercrombie, Bath & Body Works, Chico's, etc.

Overall I thought this place was great. Much more to do than staying on the riverwalk downtown. The riverwalk is really a bunch of bars, clubs, restaurants, and hotels.

• Liked — Service, Design, Stuff to do
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't hesitate to ask
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank vegophile
Chicago
Reviewed November 15, 2006

My wife and I booked a two night stay at the Westin LaCantera Resort. The lobby and public areas were very nice and check in was quick and friendly. Our room was clean, however the view was of a bland courtyard. The heavenly bed had lumpy and worn out pillows that needed to be replaced and the comforter was like a heavy mat. We also found most of the staff unfriendly. I would recommend that guests not use any of the services offered, they are overpriced for what you receive ($14.00 for a 4 minute phone call and a $10.00 resort fee per day that is not mentioned when making a reservation). The heating and cooling system was not working properly. You have to select a temperature and the system is supposed to maintain that temperature. However, in our room, all night it would get hot, then cold, hot, then cold. The best part of the stay was the heavenly bath that featured a shower with two heads, a nice double sink, and a toilet area that can be closed off from the rest of the bathroom. If you would like to dine away from the resort, you have to travel about 7 to 8 miles to find a selection of restaurants (unless you like to eat at the mall). Overall, the hotel was a disappointment. In the future, we will try another hotel when in the area.

• Liked — Bathroom
  • Disliked — Bed, Location
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Two4travel
Louisiana
Reviewed September 6, 2006

My family and I booked a two night stay at the Westin LaCantera Resort with Starwood Preferred Guest. We are currently gold SPG members. Upon arrival we found mass confusion in the valet drive. There were numerous cars that had been left unattended which left no way to pull in to park. My husband suggested that I go inside to check in while he dealt with the car. I waited for almost twenty min. in line to check in. There were two desk clerks at 5:00 on Friday afternoon. I might also mention that they were working as concierge as well since the concierge desk was not staffed during our stay. Upon arrival in our room we noticed the room with a golf course/hill country view was a corner courtyard view looking at a wall. I called downstairs to complain and was told that was the only room left in the hotel of any kind. We were also told that our room had a view. The bell man mentioned this happens "all the time". Issues with the room other than the view were the bathroom was dirty, the coffe table had a drink spilled on it and never cleaned, the mini bar was half stocked-never filled the entire weekend, no robes-when I called to request they said they were all dirty and would not be cleaned until Monday, and the pull out sofa bed was broken!! We needed the sofa bed for our son to sleep on. I called the front desk and explained that it had to be repaired and they sent housekeeping up with more linens.
We put the bed away and my son slept on the sofa. At around 9:30 am on Saturday morning the fire alarm went off. I opened the door and stepped into the hall as other hotel guests were doing. There were three members of the housekeeping staff there asking us what to do. After about 10 min. it went off and we were never given any instructions. The pool areas are lovely but if you want to sit at the pool you need to be there early. We arrived at 11:00 and every chair and lounger was taken. We never did get a place to sit but did enjoy the pools. When we arrived back in the room at 4:30 p.m. it had not been cleaned and the breakfast dishes were still there. I called housekeeping and they came about 45 min. later and cleaned the room and sat the dishes outside the door. They were still outside the door when we came back from dinner at 11:00 p.m.
A wonderful surprise was the Grille at the golf course club house. We had two great meals there and you can watch the Fiesta Texas fireworks from the balcony. Overall the weekend stay was quite a disappointment.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank lalea
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 4, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Westin for the Labor Day weekend. I was a bit apprehensive about the trip given some of the reviews and the very busy holiday weekend. For the most part, the hotel was very nice and we had no complaints. We would have stayed an extra night if work responsibilities hadn't been inflexible.

Some thoughts:

Check-in: Very quick, probably less than 10 minutes. Our bags actually beat us to the room, and the bellhop was well informed and honest about the dining options at the hotel and nearby.

Room: Nice bed, ground floor king right near the spa - convenient shortcut to the pool. Mostly quiet, some kids running about in the hall in the AM. The bathroom was roomy and had nice fixtures and a double vanity. We had no view (wrong side of hotel), but were never in the room except to sleep so that mattered little.

Pool: There are several small pools in the courtyard, all connecting except the kiddie pool. waterslide, vollyeball, etc. all obviously geared towards kids. Combine that with Fiesta Texas down the street and the kid factor is a given. However, there is an adults only pool down the hill from the others. It is well removed from the noise and very pleasant. the servers were prompt and helpful and quite vigilant in keeping the little ones out. the whirlpool has a nice view, and there were open lounges at most times - impressive given the holiday crowd.

Dining: Average and expensive with little variety. Kids prices are reasonable, but everything else is "resort priced". we only ate at the casual place, Brannon's (if you go there for breakfast, ask for an outside table - inside is a zoo, with the kids trying to jump in and out of the buffet lines). heard from other guests that the nicer restaurant (Francesca's) was about the same, OK but limited and expensive. The bellhop had recommended the Kona Grill in the shops @ la cantera. we ate there one night - good food, uneven service. there is a p.f. chang's there as well. The grill at the Palmer course has nice views and not many kids.

Parking: A couple of the reviews had claimed problems with the valets, including theft, so I chose to self-park (didn't want my stereo or golf clubs to walk away). The lot is down the hill from the hotel, but really not that far. Just go through the tennis courts towards the pools instead of up the hill to the lobby - probably takes 2 minutes. Of course, if the lot was right next to the hotel, the reviews would complain of having a parking lot view. This seems to be a nice compromise.

Check out: We got a late check-out so we could spend the morning by the pool. There is the annoying $10 resort fee, but we got an online rate of $209, so it was hard to complain too much. A mysterious $2.50 minibar charge was removed. Other than that, just as fast as check in.

Overall, nice hotel in a nice setting with service levels about where they should be. The setup lends itself to families, so there are probably always kids around, but the adult pool alleviates much of that issue. We are planning to return in late October.

• Liked — The views from the adults only whirlpool
  • Disliked — Breakfast at Brannon's - very loud, crowded and full of kids
  • Tips/Secrets — The best pool spot is actually between the normal and adults only areas. Just a few steps down towards the adult pool is an area to the left with 4-5 lounges and a table and umbrella. Kind of isolated, and the rambling rock creek right there muffles some of the noise from the pools above.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends