Before I went, I noticed the mixed reviews of this hotel. I was actually unsure about staying here, but had to spend the night in San Antonio.
I had a GREAT experience. I highly recommend this hotel. Best Westin I've stayed at by far, and I like Westins.
The hotel is nicely situated out of town, in a newer residential community and very close (but not too close) to the best mall in S.A., that actually has a brand new Neiman Marcus and a Nordstrom. I don't care about such things, but if you do, you have to drive right by it to get to the freeway. Can't miss it.
The hotel sits on top of a hill and has a view of the whole city. Built in 1999 (I asked), all the rooms have been recently remodeled (or so I understood). I was upgraded to a beautiful casita room with its own golf cart to get you around the grounds. There wasn't much of a view, other than trees (and you share your patio with 2 other rooms), but it worked out well for me. The hotel itself is 7 stories high and some rooms probably have very nice panoramic views.
The front desk staff was extremely welcoming and friendly. I mean, extremely. A very nice gentleman who's worked at other Starwoods in New Orleans and now works in S.A. took me down to my room and showed me how to drive a golf cart (I don't golf). Very patient, very friendly. The man and woman who were responsible for guests at the casitas also could not be nicer. I would venture to say the service was at Four Seasons Hotel levels, which for a Westin isn't that common.
My room was large, beautifully decorated, with a very nice marble bathroom that feature two sinks and granite counters. Beautiful striped carpeting and beautiful wood, leather and cowhide furnishings. Not at all the uniform green, modern Westin look (which I like, but...). Texan, but sophisticated. Loved it.
My room service dinner was delicious (burgers and pie) and delivered quite quickly, considering the casitas are quite a distance from the hotel. The room service attendant was really friendly and nice, too. GREAT beds! Slept very well.
A few quibbles. The casual restaurant is really depressingly decorated for dinner and filled with families with screaming kids. Just follow the high-pitched shrieks downstairs and you'll find it. I went right back to my room and ordered room service.
Didn't check out the "fancy" restaurant, so I can't comment on it. Also, the place seemed full of conventioneers of some sort, who arrived in several huge buses like cattle. But they were very well behaved, so I can't complain. Might be a problem with other groups, but it wasn't for me.
All in all, a great stay. I would definitely recommend staying here if I were to return (I found there was no reason at all to stay in downtown San Antonio). Seemed like the best hotel/resort to stay at in the area. Really made my overnight visit memorable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Cantera Resort & Spa is a 550 acre hill country oasis atop one of the highest points in San Antonio and is centrally located to the finest attractions the city has to offer. Luxurious accommodations offer every amenity in addition to separate adult and family friendly pools, Loma de Vida Spa & Wellness and 36 holes of on-site championship golf. Less than a mile away with complimentary transportation are the Shops at La Cantera with a variety of luxury shopping and dining options, The Rim shopping center, and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. Additionally, SeaWorld, downtown San Antonio, the airport and hill country adventures like antiquing, and wine tours are 20 minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your La Cantera Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin La Cantera Hotel San Antonio
- Westin Cantera Hotel
- La Cantera San Antonio
- Westin La Cantera Resort
- Westin San Antonio
- San Antonio Westin
- The Westin La Cantera Resort San Antonio