Be warned...La Cantera is frequently compared to the Hyatt Hill Country, but it is not of the same caliber. The pool area, albeit nicely landscaped, is a series of 5 small pools with a 6th "adult only" pool. Consequently, it is PACKED with kids - and does not have enough lounge chairs to accommodate everyone. It also has one slide (which my kids did enjoy) that at times has a long line.
The rooms - most have VERY small balconies, without any type of chair (so if you want to enjoy any of the hill country views they advertise, you will be standing.) The bathrooms are also older/on the small side (nothing special.) The "heavenly beds" are nice (and are the only upside to the rooms.)
The food - extremely limited and disappointing menu at Brannon's (i.e. the family restaurant) and by the pool. I am not exaggerating - there are 4 or 5 entree choices, that's it. Brannon's does have a kids' buffet, with chicken strips, mac n' cheese, etc. which my kids enjoyed...but how many times can you eat a chicken caesar wrap (one of the few adult offerings!)
The service - we called for help with our bags the morning that we were checking out, and were told the wait was an hour (so we lugged them all down to the lobby ourselves.) We also had problems with our room reservation (even though we booked through the hotel directly) when we checked in.
If you go....the shuttle to Fiesta Texas is quick/very convenient. Also, be sure to request a room on the "3300" hallway, overlooking the pool (these rooms actually have a long, "shared" patio with 2 chaise lounges for each room.) Make sure you don't get a city view - you will overlook the parking lot or apartments!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Cantera Resort & Spa is a 550 acre hill country oasis atop one of the highest points in San Antonio and is centrally located to the finest attractions the city has to offer. Luxurious accommodations offer every amenity in addition to separate adult and family friendly pools, Loma de Vida Spa & Wellness and 36 holes of on-site championship golf. Less than a mile away with complimentary transportation are the Shops at La Cantera with a variety of luxury shopping and dining options, The Rim shopping center, and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. Additionally, SeaWorld, downtown San Antonio, the airport and hill country adventures like antiquing, and wine tours are 20 minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, bedfinder AG, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, HotelPower, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your La Cantera Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin La Cantera Hotel San Antonio
- Westin Cantera Hotel
- La Cantera San Antonio
- Westin La Cantera Resort
- Westin San Antonio
- San Antonio Westin
- The Westin La Cantera Resort San Antonio