“Pretty cool golf-resort hotel”

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #26 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Austin, TX
“Pretty cool golf-resort hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

Gold course was beautiful but we couldn't play because there was as monsoon the whole time we were there. Rooms are pretty nice, kind of standard holiday inn-like. The restaurant was really really good however.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

I went to the Westin La Cantera Resort for a girls weekend stay. We had reserved a two bed room in May and when we checked in were given a king room. We called the front desk and they said there were no double rooms available that night but we could move the next night. Our bellhop was still there and spoke for us and did get us a double room that night. I was dissapointed that the front desk was not accommodating for three women who had reserved a double room.

The room was nice and had a great view of the pool area. But anytime we left the room it was terribly confusing to get around. our room was on the 4th floor and it took us a while to realize that the ground floor/lobby was on the 3rd floor. I got lost several times trying to find the restaurants , the fitness center or the pool.

We spent a day by the adult pool and it was quite nice. It was terribly hot and we didn't get an umbrella for at least an hour. I think it would've been nice to have more umbrellas as the weather there is scorching. Drink service was nice, my friend spilled her mojito and they gave her a new one without charge. The adult pool was wonderfully child free and relaxing.

Several days they had some fun freebies. While we were at the pool they had free hagen daz ice cream sundaes, at 7pm they had smores and free massages. Unfortunately we only got the ice cream as we were off the resort in the evenings.

Bellhop service was quick, we were able to get the shuttle or a golf cart to take us to our cars.

Food there was ok. The fact that it was $20+ for a breakfast buffet and the food wasn't that great was annoying. On the day we left we had breakfast at Brannons and it was dissapointing. The staff were letting kids run laps around the restaurant and the food was stale and dissapointing.

One really dissapointing thing was that us three girls wanted to get spa treatments. We coudln't even get concurrent mani-pedis. They only had two nail techs on staff and no other treatments were available. for a resort that advertises an extensive spa they had very little availablity for their guests.

I did use their fitness center which was nicer that some that i've been two. It had maybe 6 of each treadmills, elliptical and bike as well as a separate room with weights, body ball etc.

Over all the hotel was nice but i don't think i'd go back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Lousiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

We spent three days here with our three children(ages 16, 12, and 8). This is a great vacation for families with children! There are many activities to participate in-from the Discovery Junction(though I agree with another reviewer that it is a bad location-on hot tennis courts that receive no air circulation) to movie nights, smores making, and even a nature trail(we discovered this on our own as we were walking the grounds-what a pleasant surprise!). The pool area was nice, especially in the evening as the sun was setting-not crowded at all. The close proximity to Six Flags is another benefit. My husband played at one of the golf course and raved about the course and the staff. The drive into downtown San Antonio was not bad(about 20 minutes) The rooms are well appointed, comfortable, and clean. The bathrooms are very spacious. The front desk staff was knowledgeable and friendly. Highly recommend this hotel and will definitely return here.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
San Antonio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

This resort is holding up well in about its 10th year. It is very similar to the nearby Hyatt Hill Country, but:

Westin is located next to Fiesta Texas, Hyatt next to Sea World.
Westin does not have as much of a secluded feeling as it is located high on a hilltop with views all over San Antonio and beyond; Hyatt is tucked into a master-planned development. Westin pool has a giant kids slide; Hyatt has a lazy river.

All in all each resort is very nice in its own way. One cannot go wrong at either if you are looking for an all-inclusive destination resort, as the facilities, prices, service are essentially the same, and each is located on the outskirts of town away from the Riverwalk. The Westin does have a retail power center next door if you want to spend even more money on your trip. Also, the Westin's driveway was designed way too small so we had long waits on arrival and departure as cars were stacked everywhere.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

After reading the reviews I was a bit scared. I had not stayed there in five years. The service was wonderful. When I arrived the valet took my car got my bags and had them ready and waiting for me, I didn't even have to ask them to get the items from my back seat. Checking in was just as easy. The man asked me what kind of view, location and other amenities I wanted. My room was beautiful and my bags arrived promptly. One night I wanted cheese fries, so I went to the restaurant downstairs and they were more than happy to make my not-on-the-menu request. The best part was anything I asked for they were more than happy to make me happy. I expect the best when I stay at a hotel and the Westin was wonderful. This place is great for families.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

We had a relaxing stay at the resort. There were more pluses than minuses, but I'll cover them all... We didn't like the fact that there was no parking garage. i.e. paid $14 daily for surface parking. If we had known this up front, we would have simply unloaded the car and parked ourselves. In 105 degree temp, I worried about my car constantly... Hey, I'm spoiled... since I park in a garage at both work and at home!! That's the first time my car has ever sat in the heat - - - it broke my heart! :) We arrived early, but were checked in right away. We expected to have to wait, so that was a plus! We had reservations for a regular king room, one spa treatment, golf for one day for my husband, and daily eating, etc... so was spending over $500 daily at the resort. That said, upon seeing our room, we requested another one since it overlooked 2 other roofs of the resort (not the scenic view we expected), and there were light bulbs out, etc.. in that particular room. That was a minus, but the "plus" was that the Resort Mgmt did not hesitate to make us happy. Within 10 minutes we were in a larger (corner) room, with 2 windows. One overlooked the golf course and the other overlooked the gold fish pond/area. And, as an added bonus we were given a nice bottle of chilled wine within 20 minutes of the room switch (for the inconvenience). Impressive! The toilet in the new room overflowed a couple of times, but we did not complain, was able to handle it. The resort seems geared more toward children. All activites (with exception of golf) seemed to be for kids. Smores by the fire pit, Children's movies at night by the pool, lunch with Looney Toons, and of course the childrens pool area, etc.... The adult pool was disappointing. It was too shallow, & therefore warm (given that it was July & 105 degrees!). I realize that in that type of heat it would be warm, but if it were deeper, it would have been a bit cooler. I believe the deepest section was 4 ft. We asked the maid for 2 extra pillows and she called someone from our room to bring them, but they never arrived. We didn't complain. Although we booked 3 nights at the resort, only 1 of those nights included the golf package with free breakfast, but the manager (upon arrival) gave us tickets for free breakfast each day (without asking). That was nice, given that the cheapest meal at the resort will run you an average of $20 per person. We ate at "Sunset At Francesca's" on my husbands birthday. It was pricey, but delicious. The caesar salad was bland, so wasn't eaten. The wait staff noticed and insisted on removing it from the bill. That was nice! Everyone at the resort repeatedly asked if things were okay, and then would give their name, insisting that we call "THEM" personally - if anything was not as we expected, so that they could take care of it. That was consistant throughout our entire stay... which was refreshing! All-in-all the resort staff was excellent, including the Spa & golf club house, & the shuttle driver. I probably wouldn't return in the heat of the summer, nor would I go back for a romantic occasion, given that it's more children oriented.. but, if you have children, they would thoroughly enjoy it... as the resort will shuttle you back and forth to shopping, and Fiesta Texas across the street... The a/c was noisey, but the room was very nice. There was no band, no music - no night life at the resort. We expected at least a jazz piano bar, or some type band in the bar area, but there was none (kinda boring in that respect). I bet it's especially nice in the Spring and Fall of the year at La Cantera Resort!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FancyTexas
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

We are frequent visitors of this resort but we had not been in about a year and we were pleasantly surprised with all the new activities geared towards children. We especially enjoyed the new Discovery Junction area with bouncers and slides. However, I suggest that management move the bouncers to another area. They are currently in the tennis court and it was so hot my feet actually blistered. The staff was trying their best to keep the court cool by spraying water but it evaporated as soon as it was down. The court is also designed to keep the breeze out so with temps over 100 degrees it was so hot that not many children were using the area. I also suggest more adult selections along with smaller portions and lower prices for the children’s meals at the pool grill. All in all we had a blast and we will return. BTW...They are offering great specials for summer, including 20% of for TX residents. I found a rate of $189 on the hotels site which was cheaper than any other site.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family