“Great relaxing stay!”

Ranked #27 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
A TripAdvisor Member
Appleton, WI
Reviewed January 23, 2006

We had a great stay in San Antonio at the Westin La Cantera Resort. We were there for a business function, but it was the most relaxing business related event I have ever been to! There was a wonderful view & great pools to play in during our free time. The hotel also offered a great spa area & excerise facility! It was so close to Six Flags as well as a short drive to the Riverwalk! Highly recommended!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed January 22, 2006

We were a little apprehensive about staying here, given all of the negative reviews we had read on TripAdvisor, and were pleasantly surprised by the great service and pleasant staff at La Cantera. We paid the government rate for our cityview room, which is $113 a night, and felt that was a good deal. The room was small, with a small entrance hallway with a vanity, a king-sized heavenly bed, an armchair, a table/desk, a cabinet with an outdated bubble tv and the minibar. The bathroom had 2 sinks and a regular tub with one of those curved shower rods which makes the shower seem bigger. The room was decent but definitely not luxurious. We would have been disappointed with the room for $250 or whatever the normal rate is.
We found the staff to be very pleasant. The bellhop brought us an extra bathrobe and pool towels when he brought our bag up. Room service was really quick, and the valet took the time to write out directions to downtown. Overall, we didn't have any problems with the service.
We had a fantastic dinner at Francesca's on Friday night. The food was delicious, the service outstanding, and the wine list extensive and reasonable. Room service food, which I think comes from the other restaurant, Brannon's, was average.
It was too cold for us to swim but the pools look really nice. Some, but not all, are heated, so if the outside temperature had been a little warmer, we could have swum even though it is January. The gym is really nice, with state of the art equipment (touch-screen cardio machines).
So overall a good stay - maybe not worth the rack rate prices, but if you can get a discounted room, it's a nice hotel and only a 20 minute drive to downtown.

• Stayed: January 2006
2  Thank joannap
Reviewed January 17, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Westin for three nights over New Year's Eve; the rate was $125/night and was worth every penny. The absolute most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in. The weather was gorgeous and we sat in the outdoor jacuzzi and watched the sun set. We didn't eat in any restaurants. We did have room service breakfast one morning and it was very good, but expensive, was you expect in a resort atmosphere. The lagoon swimming pools with their water slide and the resort's location next door to Fiesta Texas would be a great summer family vacation. I would not go here during the summer for a "couples" weekend. During the winter, however, it was very quiet. We thoroughly enjoyed. For those who self-park; there is a walking path from the parking lot to the swimming pools and you don't have to hike back up the hill via the roadway. It's an easy shortcut.

• Stayed: January 2006
1  Thank BeckyPlummerLafLA
Reviewed January 16, 2006

Just got back from four nights at the Westin La Cantera Resort. Purpose of the trip was a corporate meeting, and the property managed our smallish group OK. A few too many glitches for a top-tier resort, but nothing that derailed things. It's a AAA 4-star rated property, and that's about right, all things considered.

This is somewhat a business-oriented destination, so as a vacationer, come prepared for name-badge wearing groups in the enormous lobby area, in the wood-paneled bar, and the restaurants. There are private bungalows available for honeymooners, couples, etc. so be sure to ask about the "Casitas Village."

The property highlights include the pools and Jacuzzi, which are all created out of native stone, and achitected to fit the landscape in a unique and beautiful way.

THe property is about 20 minutes from the Riverwalk and the Alamo, but about 5 minutes from SixFlags Fiesta. Hotel Shuttles will take you to local destinations (adjacent golf courses, malls, etc.).

Rooms are standard Westin-fare, and are comfortable. Service is uneven. Concierge is wildly inconsistent, depending on who's staffing the desk. Bellman service is cordial and competent. Valet was weird. they didn't seem to have their act together in the busy times, and were overstaffed in slow times. For example, I needed a shuttle ride to the local upscale mall, and they told me what time to be out front. So far, so good.

I reappear a few minutes before the correct time, and stand about ten feet from two very idle valets, who are either talking to each other, or alternately chatting on their cell phones. The shuttle bus rolls up to the driveway, stops briefly, then rolls away. The valets had told me to be out front at a certain time, but they had somehow neglected to tell me where to stand to be recognized by the shuttle driver as a passenger on the next run. EVEN AS I STOOD next to them for several minutes. Jeez. To their "credit," their response to my pointed questioning of their previous instructions, and the small but critical omission (stand by the giant urn), resulted in the appearance of a special shuttle van just for me. Problem solved, and no hard feelings.

One of my personal tests was failed by this Westin: is my ice bucket filled during evening turn-down service? I like to be able to have a night-cap, or even a little ice water at the end of the evening, and having to schlep down the hall for ice at a resort of this caliber is a no-no, as far as I'm concerned.

CONCLUSION:
There are deals to be had here, and the golf courses are terrific (I'm told). Since I'm not a golfer, I will report what I consider informed and reliable reports that the courses are challenging, well maintained, and an unusual "hill country" layout. San Antonio is a fun 3-day weekend type of destination, and the local sights and cuisine are worth the trip. The Westin is a reliable higher-end chain, and this property will only dissappoint those with expectations that don't match the strengths of the place.

5  Thank gill052
A TripAdvisor Member
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed January 5, 2006

When I booked my reservation, I asked what the difference was between a Traditional and a Deluxe room. I was told that the Deluxe room had a 'City View' and a large bathtub with the Westin linens. When we checked in to the room, I was shocked at 1.) how small the room was. 2.)The tub was not much bigger than a standard bathtub, 3) the view of the city...what view of the city???? I went back to the reservations desk, because surely they had to be joking. They offered me a room on the 2nd floor (Original room was on the 3rd), the view was worse than the other room's view.
We decided to stay in the 3rd floor room, but were not happy about it. Also, they must use the shampoo and conditioner from the local dollar store. It was the worse thing ever.
Do not recommend this place. Been to better RESORTS.

• Stayed: December 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 1, 2006

We stayed at La Cantera over New Year's weekend, Dec 29 - Jan 1. We arrived at 11:30 p.m. and had a good check in experience, until we went to park the car. The valet parking is outrageous in price and self-parking lot (which is in the same place as the valet parking lot) is very dark and dimly lit. It is quite a hike back to the hotel, but sometimes they have a shuttle to pick you up. They really need to add many more lights in the parking lots.

Our rooms were as requested, a very nice room. Very nice bathroom and bed, but the overall room is comparable to other nice resorts. Not too big, just a bed, desk, and a sitting chair. The big things missing from the room were a refrigerator (you can request one when you check in for no cost, so WHY don't they just put them in the rooms?) and an alarm clock. However, our friends had an alarm clock in their room, but did not have a nice white robe in their closet like we did. So overall, the rooms are inconsistent, which they need to work on. One room had coffee replenished, one did not. If you are missing something, just call and ask for it, it will be there within 5 minutes.

The view was beautiful, on the top of a bluff overlooking San Antonio, right next door to Fiesta Texas. The Shops at La Cantera is a fabulous outdoor mall with really nice stores that is just up the road 1/4 mile. The resort is 15 minutes north of the airport and even though it isn't down town, it was a very peaceful place to stay on New Year's weekend (unlike all the partying going on around the down town hotels).

The spa at this hotel is great, with 3 of us partaking in the swedish massage they offer for 50 minutes, $90. Very nice place, great massage therapists. The jacuzzi overlooking the back golf course and hills is wonderful and romantic, the pools are nice, but only heated to 78 degrees, so a bit chilly for our tastes.

The concerns about this resort that we found are:
Food Prices - $16.95 for breakfast buffett, which by 9:40 a.m. on Sunday morning Jan 1 (after a long late night) they were starting to put up and put lunch out!
Toiletries - The toiletries were very plain (very men-friendly) and not to my liking, so please bring your own.
Parking - The dark parking lot or expensive valet parking.
Value - This resort appears to be a 5-star resort, beautiful in every area, however the service and rooms are average. We paid a very low rate, however, and so we were very pleasantly surprised.

Overall, I would stay there again if I could do so at a low rate, but not for the $250 they sometimes ask. Shop around and stay here if you are able to get it for $100 - $125 and want to partake of great shopping, great theme park and a very nice resort. Just prepare as mentioned above.

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank FreedomTravel
Reviewed December 6, 2005

If your company pays... great. If you pay... over priced and lacked good service. Stay on the river walk. Wrong room, wrong spa service, rude employees and needed to call for a coffee maker that was suppose to be in the room. The pool was nice. The food was good, but over priced. Welcome to New York City in San Antonio.

• Stayed: August 2005