“Beautiful Views!”

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #27 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Just returned from a two night stay at La Cantera. The hotel is very spread out and sits at the top of a hill giving you great views from the pool area. The adult pool was my favorite part of my stay. I enjoyed the peace and quiet around the pool without children. The service at the pool was awesome. For example, I was trying to open the pool umbrella to get some shade and had no idea how to get it up. Within seconds, a boy appeared to raise the umbrella. The room was spacious. Our view from the room was not the best, overlooking the roof. There is valet parking for overnight at $24 a night. If you want to save money you can park yourself, but be prepared to walk a ways to get to and from your car. We only had one problem but didn't notify the staff but the room next to us was smoking in a non-smoking property. The smoke was coming into our room. It wasn't horrible so we just went to bed. The shops at La Cantera are really close and was a great place to eat dinner. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the roof and has a view!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
LCR_PR_Director, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent summer vacation experience. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with other tripadvisor travelers.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed the comfort of your guestroom, and I apologize for the “rooftop “view, our front desk would have happily helped you to move to another guestroom. As you mentioned we are a non-smoking property and do not allow smoking on our guestroom balconies either. I apologize that you had to endure the odor wafting into your guestroom. Our security team would have been more than happy to visit with your neighbor to end the smoking, so please do not hesitate to reach out to our management team if we can do anything to make your stay more enjoyable.

I’m glad you were able to enjoy the adult pool and that it was staffed to meet your needs. The pool has an amazing view of the Palmer Course

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

There are newer reviews for La Cantera Resort & Spa

Reviewed July 11, 2014

We stayed here one night while in San Antonio. The clerk at the front desk made us feel welcomed and got us to our room quickly. Our room at the Casitas and it was very nice. The bathroom was large and luxurious. There was a small table with chairs outside where we enjoyed a morning cup of coffee while looking at the trees. The two queen beds were quite comfortable and a ceiling fan in the room was a welcomed addition, I wish more hotels would put in ceiling fans. Some of the issues we had was the phone to call the front desk did not work so we used our own cell phones. As for the breakfast, we were surprised to pay almost $50 for two people to eat a buffet, the food was very good but for a buffet it seemed a little high and equivalent to what most hotels provide for free. The other issue was the self parking. I am not one to use valet parking so I used the self parking. It is quite a little trek from the parking lot to the lobby, not for the feeble. The signage is not the best so it is easy to get turned around trying to find the lobby especially when you arrive late at night like we did. Please do not let any of this put you off visiting this beautiful resort, It is very nice and we intend to visit again.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the Casitas. Having a golf cart assigned to your room is a big plus to tr...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

First and foremost, please accept my sincere apology on behalf of the entire resort for your experience with our breakfast buffet. The quality of our food is very important to us and I have shared your thoughts with our culinary team so they can address this area that fell short during your visit.

I appreciated you awarding 5 stars for our service we strive to provide warm and authentic hospitality to each guest and I am proud that our team delivered that to you.

The Casitas are one of our hidden jewels; they offer our guests the opportunity to have a “home like” experience, while enjoying the benefits of a full-service resort.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is beautiful. It's spacious and the area is gorgeous. The pool area is nice and is a lot of fun for the kids. The rooms are very spacious which is very nice for families. You can stay in the main hotel or in a cabana located on the grounds but farther off by the golf course. We opted for a private cabana with a small pool that is shared amongst 5-10 other cabanas. You're given a private golf cart to get back as forth from the main hotel and parking lot. We enjoyed this privacy quite a bit but next time we will stay inside the hotel so we can be closer to the main pool and restaurants. Loved the location of this hotel. It's literally 5-10 minutes away from a huge mall that is awesome! And for the kids it's only 10 minutes from SeaWorld and 5 minutes from Fiesta Texas. Can't beat this hotel. It's wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Mygoldenticket

Thank you for your 5 star review of your recent La Cantera Hill Country Resort visit. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other tripadvisor travelers.

I was thrilled to read that you had a great experience staying in one of our Casitas. They are an incredible addition to the resort, close to all of the activity of the resort, but private and secluded. The added space is really perfect for families who need a little extra room and the golf cart is a great way to see and get around the resort.

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Beautiful location, kid friendly, and laid back guests in luxury surroundings. What more could you ask for?? I didn't even know about the kids' club or the junior golf lessons (he wants to go back for both). The poolside food service, ease of accessibility to our room, and the other guests with kids helped me relax much more, even as a solo parent. Room was fabulous (king). Plenty of room, great bathroom (separate toilet with door), and coffee available in room and also available at a small coffee shop on premises. Breakfast caters to kids, too, and was included with the AAA special I booked. btw, I think that $179 for the night is a great value!!

Room Tip: Ask for room access to the jacuzzi to save yourself lots of stairs if you want to get to and from th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

I am thrilled and humbled with your 5 star review of your recent visit. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other tripadvisor travelers.

I was thrilled to read that your family had such a great visit! We’d love to have you back for our junior golf camps, our PGA team is highly skilled in working with “up and coming” golfers of all ages!

Reviewed July 10, 2014

I hesitate to give this resort only 3 stars, as not everything is the hotel's fault, but in the end I give our visit a grade of "B-/C+", so...

First, here's the good... the room was nice (we were on the concierge level, which was the 7th Floor Club level) and we had a nice view. The adult pool was fairly quiet and the attendants were around often and provided great service. We also found the front desk and valet attendants very attentive.

Here's the bad... kids. Lots of them and not very many well-behaved. Not the resort's fault, but as a guest, I would have wanted a warning that there would be little monsters everywhere during the summer. The real problem, in my opinion, were the parents. I guess the parents that could afford the concierge level probably had nannies that were on vacation and they simply had no idea how to parent their own kids, but I digress.... Just expect a lot of screaming and running down the halls at all hours, along with the little raccoons grabbing all of the food during breakfast and happy hour.

The other issues that we found were that out of 4 nights, we had to call for housekeeping after 5pm on 3 of the nights and that the concierge staff on the club level appeared to have very little training. We tried to use them to book both spa appointments and wine tours, but they really had no idea what they were doing or what to do.

I know, I know, a little snobby, but at $250/nt + resort fees & tax, I expected a little more on the items that the hotel could control.

Would I stay here again? Probably. Just not during the summer and during any typical school vacations.

Room Tip: Bring artillery to deal with the many children.
2  Thank Keith W

No excuses, we failed to meet your expectations on several levels and we failed to deliver the excellent service and memorable getaway we are known for.

I have alerted our housekeeping and concierge supervisors with details from your review. Rest assured our staff will be given additional training to ensure that your experience is never repeated.

I apologize for the noise you experienced in the guestroom hallways. The resort is filled with families throughout the summer and sometimes our younger guests can be quite exuberant.
I have shared your comments with our security team, who regularly patrol the hallways and public areas for their thoughts on how we can reduce the noise and the number of unsupervised children running through the resort hallways.

For a more “adult” experience, you might consider visiting us over a weekend during the school year, when fewer families are traveling. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your guestroom and the view and that the adult pool was well staffed to meet your needs.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

The hotel is beautiful, charming ambience and a very convenient location, as it is a few blocs from La Cantera outdoor shopping mall, and about a mile from The Rim, which has shops and a movie theater as well.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank pilivds

I am thrilled and humbled with your generous 5 star review of your recent visit. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other tripadvisor travelers.

While the resort is somewhat secluded, it is minutes away from the area's high end shopping at the Shops at La Cantera, The Rim and of course the amazing IMAX 3D theater! Am glad you were able to enjoy the best of both worlds!

Reviewed July 9, 2014

The staff at this site is incredible-customer service at its best! Beautiful grounds, delicious food, and comfortable rooms made our stay the best! I would definitely stay here again. This was a fun "get-away" place to stay.

Room Tip: Great shuttle service to shops.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sheri B

I am thrilled and humbled with your amazing 5 star review of your recent visit. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other tripadvisor travelers.