“HUGE property, Beautiful pools, great for a family vacation” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Cantera Resort & Spa

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Asbury Park, New Jersey
“HUGE property, Beautiful pools, great for a family vacation”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stayed here while attending a business conference that was being held at this hotel. This is a huge beautiful resort property. If you like that sort of thing, you will love this place. Everything was absolutely gorgeous. The lobby, the bars, the restaurants and especially the pools were pristine. They even had an adults-only pool, a spa, a nature trail, tennis courts, kids activities… it goes on and on and on. I could see my family vacationing here. There’s stuff for kids to do, shopping for mom and golf for dad.

I love SPG and this property was really nice but it wasn’t for me for a few reasons.

Reason #1 it is very expensive and I’m not sure you really get what you pay for. If I were paying so much for a room, it would be at a W because at a W the price reflects the level of service. Here, not so much. When I ordered room service I asked if the empanadas were vegan. They transferred me to the kitchen to ask the cook. He said “Do you want it vegan or vegetarian?” I very much so got the impression that he would tell me what I wanted to hear, regardless of whether it was true or not. They couldn’t give me a definitive answer so I decided to order something else. The kitchen staff couldn’t transfer my call back to whoever needed to take the order so I had to call back and start all over. I finally placed my order and asked for a side of mayo. They brought ketchup instead, and then reluctantly agreed to bring mayo which I got 20 minutes later once the food was cold. Not a vacation-ruiner, but not very good service given what you’re paying. Also, there was only one robe in the room, although there were two beds. When I called and asked for another robe they insisted it was in the closet which it was not.

Reason #2 that I disliked this place is because it is huge and I felt it was in the middle of no where. It’s essentially a man made destination. There are free hotel shuttles to local attractions (golf, outlet malls & six flags) which is nice, and some of the drivers will even be kind enough to take you to the nearby Chevron convenience store if need be. If these things don’t interest you, stay on the river walk instead as there is much more to do. The walk to my room was also exceptionally long. Like literally a ten minute walk from my room to the ballrooms where the conference was!

Reason #3 is that there is no nightlife at this Westin. I prefer to mingle with locals so although it’s a fantastic hotel, this was just not for me. Regardless, I had a nice time as I was there on business and knew what I was getting into.

Room Tip: Stay in 1 of the 11 casitas and you will be given a golf cart to get around. The place really is tha...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and kind words about the resort. We apologize for the service issues you had when ordering in-room dining. We are sorry that the resort setting was not to your taste. When you treat yourself to a stay at The Westin La Cantera Hill Country Resort, you should experience relaxing comfort and delight in all of our amenities. From our championship golf courses to the spa, from Francesca’s at Sunset to our five swimming pools, as well as our array of complimentary resort activities, every feature of the property has been designed to offer the utmost relaxation and satisfaction for our guests. We are sorry to hear that your stay didn’t provide the kind of value you were looking for.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Kerrville, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The retaurant attempts to be top notch but it is mediocre in quality and very overpriced. We had to listen to bad children acting up the whole meal and people in all manner of casual attire were there. Not worth the price.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
We apologize that your visit to our restaurant didn't provide the value you were looking for and are sorry that other guests were disruptive. We hope you will give us another chance!
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

The property is beautiful with lovely grounds and pools. Enjoyed an evening stroll in the moonlight. The hilltop location provides nice views. The staff is warm and welcoming. Handy market for quick bites and misc. items. However I stayed in a room on the first level near the spa and elevator where loud groups would collect. A bit awkward to be in the bath and feel like people from the hall are right in the room. Also could easily hear my neighbor through the connecting door. Noises impacted sleep quality. Higher floor away from elevator should be better.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We apologize that the noise from other guests disturbed you but are delighted to know that your stay was still a success. Thanks for the great review!
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Yeah, you may find some nice hotels in San Antonio by the river in downtown, but if you want to combine your shopping with a place that has a Texan atmosphere with Mexican roots in a great fashion, The Westin La Cantera is the place to stay. Beautiful buildings surrounded by the golf course, a splendid view, trails to pleasently walk through, several pools and a gorgeous lobby to read the news, have some coffee or a lemonade. A well thought cousine for either breakfast, lunch or dinner. Corteous personnel. Only one caveat: be sure you will use all the services and facilities comprised by the "resort charges".

Room Tip: The Casitas Village for sure.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We really appreciate your kind words and look forward to your next visit!
Kerrville, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We have dined at this restaurant several times and it's very good. The view is nice, the entre offerings are always a bit unusual along with some of the more normal choices. The chef goes out of his way.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
We are so glad you enjoyed Francesca's at Sunset and hope to see you again soon!
Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great view of San Antonio (if your facing the city) and awesome hill country location. Be prepared for the kidos and chair hogs though (rise and shine early if you want a chair by the pool).
Overall a beautiful place. Will be back!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the great review!
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed in this Hotel only 1 night and we wished we had stayed longer. Our room was extremely comfortable, the room service was very nice and the restaurant was very nice as well.

I had some business meetings to attend, but the shuttle allowed my wife to be able to go to the mall to shop at her leisure.

I also loved having the option of either valet parking for a fee or self parking for free since I generally travel with a laptop and other business related items that I generally like to leave in the vehicle if I park it myself.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thanks for the great review! We hope you will be back again soon.