I stayed here while attending a business conference that was being held at this hotel. This is a huge beautiful resort property. If you like that sort of thing, you will love this place. Everything was absolutely gorgeous. The lobby, the bars, the restaurants and especially the pools were pristine. They even had an adults-only pool, a spa, a nature trail, tennis courts, kids activities… it goes on and on and on. I could see my family vacationing here. There’s stuff for kids to do, shopping for mom and golf for dad.
I love SPG and this property was really nice but it wasn’t for me for a few reasons.
Reason #1 it is very expensive and I’m not sure you really get what you pay for. If I were paying so much for a room, it would be at a W because at a W the price reflects the level of service. Here, not so much. When I ordered room service I asked if the empanadas were vegan. They transferred me to the kitchen to ask the cook. He said “Do you want it vegan or vegetarian?” I very much so got the impression that he would tell me what I wanted to hear, regardless of whether it was true or not. They couldn’t give me a definitive answer so I decided to order something else. The kitchen staff couldn’t transfer my call back to whoever needed to take the order so I had to call back and start all over. I finally placed my order and asked for a side of mayo. They brought ketchup instead, and then reluctantly agreed to bring mayo which I got 20 minutes later once the food was cold. Not a vacation-ruiner, but not very good service given what you’re paying. Also, there was only one robe in the room, although there were two beds. When I called and asked for another robe they insisted it was in the closet which it was not.
Reason #2 that I disliked this place is because it is huge and I felt it was in the middle of no where. It’s essentially a man made destination. There are free hotel shuttles to local attractions (golf, outlet malls & six flags) which is nice, and some of the drivers will even be kind enough to take you to the nearby Chevron convenience store if need be. If these things don’t interest you, stay on the river walk instead as there is much more to do. The walk to my room was also exceptionally long. Like literally a ten minute walk from my room to the ballrooms where the conference was!
Reason #3 is that there is no nightlife at this Westin. I prefer to mingle with locals so although it’s a fantastic hotel, this was just not for me. Regardless, I had a nice time as I was there on business and knew what I was getting into.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Cantera Resort & Spa is a 550 acre hill country oasis atop one of the highest points in San Antonio and is centrally located to the finest attractions the city has to offer. Luxurious accommodations offer every amenity in addition to separate adult and family friendly pools, Loma de Vida Spa & Wellness and 36 holes of on-site championship golf. Less than a mile away with complimentary transportation are the Shops at La Cantera with a variety of luxury shopping and dining options, The Rim shopping center, and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. Additionally, SeaWorld, downtown San Antonio, the airport and hill country adventures like antiquing, and wine tours are 20 minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your La Cantera Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin La Cantera Hotel San Antonio
- La Cantera San Antonio
- Westin Cantera Hotel
- Westin La Cantera Resort
- Westin San Antonio
- San Antonio Westin
- The Westin La Cantera Resort San Antonio