“Excellent location, friendly staff, great facilities”

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #27 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed October 7, 2013

You really do get what you pay for! The hotel is a little on the expensive side but so worth the money. My wife and I went to San Antonio on a weekend trip along with some friends. We were mainly going to Six Flags San Antonio so were looking for a hotel close by. This hotel provides shuttle service to Six Flags and the nearby mall. What's more the shuttles have a schedule but if you call them they do come and pick you up outside the schedule as well.
The resort is huge. They have a sprawling golf course which looked great. The rooms we stayed in had great views of the hill country. The staff from check in to check out and everywhere in-between were super friendly and courteous and try to accommodate every request. They have a couple of grills/bars with good food and a really great restaurant (Southwestern grill). We ate there one night and loved it - the chicken (yes the chicken) and pork chops were to die for. They have great pools (one with a cool slide), a jacuzzi and tennis and tons of activities for kids (our party did not have any so can't speak to the quality of the kids activities). They even helped us out with a really late checkout.
So, in conclusion, highly recommend this hotel, even with the cost. But if you can get a good deal, there's nothing to beat it.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room with a view. Really worth the additional expense if there is one.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Subbu N
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you so much for the great review! We hope you will be back soon.

There are newer reviews for La Cantera Resort & Spa

Reviewed October 3, 2013

The resort can be a little confusing at first. The front doors open to a beautiful sitting room, but the front desk is not immediately apparent — it is off to the right. Multiple buildings comprise this beautiful resort, with the center building sitting at the peak of a hilltop. The result is that when you walk in through the front doors you are actually on the second floor. Only the two side wings have a first floor, and they only go as high as five floors, whereas the center building is a little taller. After checking in, we were assigned a room on the sixth floor, and decided to park our car on our own. That was a mistake as it is an uphill walk — on a hot day — to get back to the resort. When we entered the first wing, the first elevator we came across only went to the fifth floor. After a little more walking we figured out why. Once we got used to the resort, we did very much enjoy our stay.

We booked a Jr. suite that came with two large (37") TVs, a supremely comfortable bed, and a sitting area. The bathroom had a nice shower and a double sink, with plenty of room for personal items. The views are spectacular and the grounds are very nice. Walking from the parking lot to the resort is fine if the weather is nice, but if it is hot and humid, do yourself a favor and use the valet.

Room Tip: If it is a warm day, let the valet park your car.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jls263
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

We apologize for any confusion when you arrived but are so glad it didn't take away from enjoying your stay. Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed at the resort to begin our family vacation. It was such a wonderful experience. The resort rests on the hill overlooking the valley below where Six Flags locates so our room has a panoramic view of the green rolling hills below. The room is very cozy with an earthly tone but spacious enough for a family of four, especially Club room where all day snacks were offered. I highly recommend this resort for family vacation as they offered all kinds of activities and programs for kids and family together. Sitting on top the lush hill, with rolling meadows, the resort also offered interesting program for nature lover as well with lots of hiking trails to explore. Staff are highly professional and friendly. This is the best resort we ever stayed in the hill country.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Nathantran

Thanks for the great review. We hope you will be back again soon!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We visited with 11 families and the front desk staff, especially Andrea Cabral, Renee (do not know her last name), and the Conceirge Level staff took the time to make sure we were all near each other and that each families special needs were met (cribs, refrigeratios, balconies, etc.). We had a particularly high maintenance group and they helped to make everything fabuolous! A goopd time was had by all- great rooms, great food and pool area accommodated large age range. We had a blast!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 111HSmith
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Thanks for the great review. We hope your whole group will be back again soon!

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed here for a conference. The room was very spacious and the bed was amazingly comfortable. The highlight of this place is the excellent service and attention to the customer. Every employee was helpful, cheerful and made you feel at home. The conference had food brought in and it was excellent. I did not get a chance to play golf, but the course looked great. I highly recommend this place if you are visiting San Antonio.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Corman911
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

We really appreciate the great review and hope you can return soon to play golf!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I travel a lot. I stay in many hotels. This is definitely one of the best experiences I've had.

It was our wedding night, so, of course, we arrived late. I looked very inconspicuous in my wedding dress. The night attendant was very nice, and upgraded us for a Jr. Suite! We were very happy about that. Upon arrival to our room we were delighted by rose petals leading to the bathroom and bed, champagne on ice, and chocolate covered strawberries (yes I believe I ordered 1-2 of these things - but it was actually there when we walked in, that doesn't happen too often in my experience). The room was spacious and very clean. It even had a vanity (which was perfect for having to take out all the makeup and hair pins). We called room service to bring us silverware (to eat the dinner our caterer had packed for us), and they were very prompt and didn't give me any lip about not ordering food.

A few hours later we left to go to the airport. The hotel had arranged a taxi to pick us up early in the morning (very nice touch). My favorite part was that there were not surprises at checkout - imagine, a hotel that actually charges what you agree to! Amazing!

My only regret is that we couldn't have spent more time here. Thank you Westin La Cantera!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roxyc100

Thank you so much for the great review. We hope you will be back to celebrate your anniversary.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Let me start by saying I am a SPG platinum member and have enjoyed many stays at SPG properties around the world. This is truly one of the more beautiful properties in the system. I enjoyed walking around the gorgeous property. Everyone was very friendly and nice. The casual restaurant had excellent (if pricey) food. The pool area was nice and the poolside bar service worked very well as well.

Now for the issues:

1) When we arrived, we were very tired. The room was very nice and in a quiet part of the hotel (note that the rooms by the pool area can be noisy due to all of the playing children). However, when my girlfriend went to take a nice bath, the tub was filthy! Little black hairs lined the tub and it did not drain properly. We were too tired to deal with the issue that day. To their credit, when I told the front desk, they credited back the cost of some of my stay.

2) as a SPG platinum member, I am supposed to get an upgrade to the club floor or at least access to the club floor amenities. This is due to the amount of money and number of stays myself and my family have in Starwood properties each year. This was never offered to me so I assumed there was no club floor in the resort. I was quite upset to find out I was wrong after checking out. As I'm thinking about this, the check in person did not orient us to the resort (no map or guidance offered) or give us any sort of direction as to where amenities in this rather large resort are.

I would give the resort another chance in the future if the opportunity arises but I was disappointed. When I returned to San Antonio 3 weeks later, I chose to stay at the Sheraton Gunter downtown and had a much more pleasant experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Charlie W
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Please accept our apologies that your room was anything less than immaculate upon your arrival. We are glad to know that our team was able to remedy the situation. We are also sorry that your arrival experience was lacking and will use your feedback to remind the team about how to appropriately orient guests to our resort.