“Great place for families!”

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Frisco, Texas, United States
“Great place for families!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

What I really liked about this hotel are the pools and activities they had available for the kids! There is a small shallow pool for the toddlers and a water slide for the bigger kids. My kids are ages 5 and 2. They LOVED the pool! I guess it doesn't really take much to keep them happy. We went to their Westin Kids Club for Zoomagination during our stay and it was so cool! I think I enjoyed it as much as the kids did. They let us pet the different animals from reptiles to wallabies. We learned so much about the animals and the kids thought it was so much fun.

The hotel location is great as well. It's about 5 minutes from 1604 and I-10. The Shops at La Cantera had great shopping and lots of restaurant choices to choose from. Six Flags was directly across the street from the hotel.

I gave this property a 4 instead of a 5 because of the rooms. Though they had great amenities for families, the rooms could've used a little bit of up-keep. The walls had black marks like someone accidentally scraped their luggage across the wall. The furniture had minor stains. And the carpets looked a little worn out. Just a little bit of minor maintenance fixes should do the trick!

Overall, it was a fun place to stay with the family. Just a quick tip: We arrived the third week of August and we just missed the summer rush of people trying to get in their vacation before school started. Capacity was at less than 30%. So, if you're thinking about the best time to go and don't want to deal with the crowds, the third week in August is perfect!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thanks for your kind words. We look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Great get away from big city hotels ... great views ... great service. You do the spa let him do the golf.. you won't be disappointed ..The food, the beds and the pool. You can't find much nicer golf .....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
We really appreciate your kind words and hope to see you back again soon!
Houston
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Here's the skinny - we decided to stay close to home (Houston) this summer and visit some of the golf and resort spas in Austin and San Antonio areas (can't afford to go to Maui EVERY summer!). We went to Hyatt Lost Pines, Barton Creek, Hill Country Hyatt and the Westin La Cantera, and our favorite was.....La Cantera. That's not to say it doesn't have some room for improvement but, all in all, for a fun family getaway, this was our favorite. They all offer pretty much the same things - golf, pools, game rooms, fitness centers, nature trails, evening s'mores and outdoor movies for the fam, but La Cantera does it better than the others. The way this resort is laid out, it just works. Lobby, pool, movies, golf, nature trail, etc. just all flow together abd are surrounded by the beautiful white limestone hotel building that looks Mediterranean. What makes it stand out from the rest? The food, the beds and the pool. You can't find much nicer golf than what Barton Creek has to offer but the pool has much to be desired. Lost Pines has the best lazy river but misses the mark in other areas. Hill Country Hyatt is beautiful but the pool can't touch La Cantera's (although they were building a water park when we were there so that could change). But there's still the food and beds. How many kid's menus have you seen with grilled salmon on it for $7.50? It was a first for us and it was delicious. The beds were SO comfortable that we're seriously considering buting one of their mattresses from their online store! Granted, we haven't stayed at EVERY golf and spa resort inTexas (or on Maui for that matter) but we have stayed at several others not mentioned here at other times. The JW Marriott in SA looks very nice and from what I've heard it may give La Cantera a run for it's money. Don't get me wrong - all of these resorts are AWESOME. Complaints on here are usually from the one off bad experience and not the norm. So how could La Cantera possibly be any better? I'm glad you asked. $4 ice teas and sodas and $12.99 for a child's breakfast buffet? Really?! How much food can a 6 or 8 year child can eat? I'd say mine ate about $3-5 worth. When your competition (e.g. Barton Creek) is charging $6.99 for a equally impressive buffet, something's wrong. I'm a business man and understand the need to make a profit, but is this really where you want to do it? $3 for bottled water and another $3 for a small bag of popcorn at the "complimentary" movie? Isn't this what we pay a $27 resort fee for? I don't think the Hyatts charged for any of the refreshments at their movies. What's next? Charge for the s'mores? We, the consumer, have a lot of options (I've only named a few). Is La Cantera the nicest of those we visited this summer and would we return? Without a doubt. Will we? Well, that's another question and not as easy to answer as it should be. It should be a no brainer. Thanks to exorbitant pricing on some of the things I mentioned, we'll have to think about that before deciding. Too bad. $7.50 for fresh grilled salmon vs $12.99 for an all you can eat breakfast buffet for a child? $8.99 I can swallow. $9.99 is pushing it. $12.99? C'mon. Aren't families with children who you want coming to your resort?

• Stayed August 2013
Thanks for the great review. We appreciate your feedback on pricing and will use it to inform our decisions. We hope to see you back again soon!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Full disclosure my family of four was traveling with my sister. She travels a lot for work and has "platinum status" at the Starwood hotels. I cannot honestly say if the excellent service and experience we had would have been the same if we were not traveling with her. The four of us do not typically stay in resorts so this was quite a treat. Our group took advantage of a lot of what the resort had to offer. We knew we would be tired after an early morning flight. We registered our nine year old for the kid's program. He had a great time and the rest of us rested either poolside or in the rooms. We got pedicures in the spa. The technician was knowledgeable and efficient. We used the pools, the gym, took a yoga class, saw an evening movie and went to a program about animals. All great, all part of the resort amenities.
Since my sister was with us and booked the stay we were considered "Starwood Preferred Guests". This was quite a bonus. We had access to a dining area where cold sodas and bottled watered were available all day. We really took advantage of this in the Texas heat. Breakfast was served every morning and snacks were provided in the afternoon and evening. I believe that anyone can upgrade to get these amenities. I do not know the cost but we certainly enjoyed the offerings.
We did have one glitch during our stay and even this was handled well. The valet hit our rental car. The hotel left a note under our door while we slept. When we called the next morning we were given the director of security. He assured us that everything would be taken care of and just to give his information to the rental car company. We were impressed and so were the people at the rental agency. Apparently, in their experience hotels do not always take this kind of responsibility.

Room Tip: The hotel is very large if you need more than one room definitely request the rooms be close togethe...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the great review! For future reference, you were right - any guest can upgrade to the Royal Hacienda Club to access the lounge.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We took this trip years ago for a birthday. Perfect place to stay. Especially close to Sea World. Also took in the Alamo and Riverwalk and mall.
The pool was fantastic all enjoyed this trip especially the child.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for the great review! We hope you will be back again soon.
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I were there recently for a conference and during our lunch break we stopped by the Brannon's Cafe. It was quiet busy due to the guest staying and the attendees of the conference. We were seated right away and were given awesome service. The staff there were friendly and supper attentive despite the busy crowd. Our food was amazing!!!!! We even got a visit from the chef, Kristina Wash. She was so nice and very friendly. My husband and I are definitely going to have to stay at this beautiful resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thanks for the great review! We hope you will come back and see us again soon.
Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My family and I were really excited about our stay at this resort! My son and his grandfather were eagerly awaiting their time on the Palmer golf course. Unfortunately we would not get the chance to check it out. I made reservations through Expedia and there was some confusion on the dates I reserved. We were to stay here on 8/17/2013 but somehow the dates reserved for me were 7/21/2013-7/22/2013. I didn't realize the mistake until the day before so I called the hotel. I spoke with the manager Ted who basically said there was nothing they could do about it. I work in customer service and know there's always something you can do about it! I paid a lot of money to reserve the room ( which they happily charged my credit card for) and to be told " sorry" just doesn't cut it for me. In my business, we really care about our customers and will try to accommodate them in any way. So, not only are they losing our business but my son and grandfather promptly cancelled their golf reservation and instead we are giving our business to their competitor down the road. We live in Austin and thus know plenty of people who travel to San Antonio for quick getaways and will be sure to steer them away from here!

5 Thank Nanbro06
Please accept our apologies that we weren't able to accommodate you. We understand that human error does occur when making reservations and are so sorry that we were fully committed to other guests on the dates you preferred. If you would like to discuss this further, please call the General Manager at 210.558.6500.