“The good, the bad, and the ugly”

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #28 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Good: Most of the staff is awesome! Welcoming, helpful, courteous, and professional.
Bad: Front desk staff needs some work; young and inexperienced, easily flustered. Housekeeping staff? Wouldn't know. Didn't see them for THREE DAYS! Which leads me to...
Ugly: For a hotel of this caliber, there should not be peeling wallpaper in the bathroom or mold around the handrail in the tub, nor a champagne glass with a half-eaten strawberry or two-day old beer glass left around. And if the housekeeping carts are going to be on my floor ALL DAY, they need to clean my room...and that doesn't mean just make the bed.

Room Tip: If you stay in the Citadel, make sure you get a room away from the elevators. That's the main bu...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle D
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Please accept our apologies that your room was anything less than immaculate during your stay. We will work with the Housekeeping Team to improve the situation. In the meantime, please call the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss your experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,472)

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Westin La Cantera is a great place for kids and adults. Great pool area, with a water slide for kids (and adults). Golf course looks good. The club floor was very nice and staffed by helpful hotel employees. Only drawback, restaurant food was average.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

We really appreciate your kind words and look forward to your return!

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I spent 7 nights at this property do a medical convention. I was expecting a luxury resort, but only got a standard hotel. I needed to call for room service every day, as when I returned after 4pm my room had not been cleaned. I even went to the front desk to find out if I was on some type of do not clean list, which I was not. The manager at the front desk even had the nerve to call my room and talk to my wife telling her that we should conserve water by not having cleaning everyday, She then asked my wife if we had our house cleaned everyday. My wife told her she was paying for the service so we wanted it done, The girls was pretty rude. She swears the girl called her a Bit*h as she hung up the phone. Thev overall hotel is not very clean. Dirt on floors everywhere, I never saw anyone using a vacuum in the entire week I stayed. I don't plan to return to this Westin property, I would go to the JW Marriott Hill Country it is a much nicer property, and the staff is not rude.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank James B

Please accept our apologies. Our goal is to help you get back to your best self so that you leave The Westin La Cantera Hill Country Resort feeling recharged and well cared for. We clearly fell short in this situation. We take feedback from our guests very seriously and use it to improve the overall experience. Please know that your comments have been forwarded to the Front Office team and that we are making every effort to improve the overall guest experience there.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I cannot say enough nice things about La Cantera. I was searching for a place to stay for a birthday weekend with girl friends and booked the Westin. So glad we did, it was awesome. We were there for two days, Friday and Saturday and checked out on a Sunday. The most appealing thing to us was that there was an adults only pool. We live in Chicago and there just aren't resorts around us that offer this and its really nice! I booked us a Casita suite and some of our other friends stayed in the "main" hotel. it was the best of both worlds but I would highly recommend the Casitas. I have to say I was nervous as to how the rooms would be since there weren't any photos on here of the casitas from travelers and even though some people said good things there were others that were very negative about them. was pleasantly surprised! I am quite picky and have to say that this room was nicer then my all inclusive room in Mexico this year. It was really nice to have a patio to sit outside and enjoy a drink or dinner. We ordered pizza one night and ate out there which was great. The casitas have a pool, however my only complaint was that there are NO umbrellas at this pool. the majority of the chairs are in direct sun. When its 100 degrees plus I think that this is insane. Why not add umbrellas? We did ask if we could get one just to see but the answer was no. We just went to the adults only pool as we had the day before and we loved that pool so it was fine. The service was OUTSTANDING. Those guys work so hard back and fourth getting drinks in major heat! All with a smile all day long. Cody was amazing! He deserves a raise he was great, we really appreciated it. The views were outstanding as you are in hill county, very nice. We didn't play golf or go to spa but im sure it would have been nice as well. There is a shop/cafe place where you can get Starbucks coffee or ice cream etc- nice! Our friends stayed on the 7th floor which is the club level and had free breakfast they enjoyed. We were allowed late checkout since we left on a Sunday and many people aren't checking in so that was really convenient. They give you a golf cart if you stay in a Casita to get to main part of hotel. The only thing I didn't like about that was parking. At first we didn't know you could park the cart in a car space, we weren't sure. When we first got to the hotel the parking was very limited and we couldn't find anywhere to park. If there were more signs or direction on "golf carts park here" would be helpful. I will definitely be going back to San Antonio. And would definitely stay at the Westin again! Email/message me if you have any questions!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks for the great review! We hope you will be back soon.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Please let Elise Medina know we appreciated her kind service She was professional and attended us in a timely manner. Your entire staff also made our stay at Westin La Cantera very enjoyable.

Hector Luna

Room Tip: Awesome resort! You won't regret it!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. We hope you will be back again soon!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed at this resort for an on site healthcare conference. Was a guest for five nights. On check in, I was directed to a room on the first floor. The hallway from the elevator to my room reminded me of a maze in a dungeon. It was poorly lit and my room was a very long way from the elevator. Once in my room, I discovered a sliding glass door that opened onto a tiny patio with views of a tennis court and a service road. All scary when you are a female traveling alone. The hotel was fully booked so there were no other rooms. I killed three bugs in my bathroom the second day. On the third day I asked to be moved as the hotel seemed to be emptying out. The person at the front desk told me that women especially women traveling alone were not to be put on the first floor anyway unless there were no other options. I was given a room on the 5th floor only to find someone else's luggage in the room. I went back to the front desk and the same person told me that the bellman probably made a mistake with someone's luggage and asked if I wanted another room. Well of course I did! So, I was moved to the 6th floor. 5 minutes after arriving in my 6th floor room, two gentlemen from housekeeping arrived at my door asking if I had been in that room my entire stay. I explained to them my movement and they said there was some confusion and that I was supposed to be in the room on the 5th floor. I asked them to go back and figure it out and to let me know ASAP as I wanted to unpack. I never heard anything else from them.

On my last evening, I called to inquire if there were vending machines to get a diet soda. I was told I could get one in the market but that there were no vending machines on the property. I explained that I wanted more than an 8 oz bottle. I was told that I could get one from the mini bar for $3 and if I wanted to do so, someone would be right up with a mini bar key. Three hours and two phone calls later, no key. I went down to the front desk and the girl behind the desk didn't apologize once I explained what happened. She handed my a key and went back to looking at the computer.

I called on my last evening to inquire about late check out as my flight didn't leave until 430 PM. I was told that there would be no late check outs as the resort was at high capacity. I was given the option of putting my luggage in storage and continuing to utilize the resort amenities. Who wants to swim, golf, or utilize the workout room and then board a plan without showering? Not this girl. Again, no apology.....just take it or leave it.

I do not plan on staying here for future travels.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank L L

Our goal is to help you get back to your best self so that you leave The Westin La Cantera Hill Country Resort feeling recharged and well cared for. We clearly fell short with all of the mix-ups about your room. Please accept our apologies. We are so sorry that your visit was less than perfect. Please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Nice grounds and staff. Cab fare was about $45 from the airport. Shops at La Cantera were very nice if you are a shopper. They offer a free shuttle to the shops. Pools were nice, though a bit dirty...not terrible, just needed more filtering of leaves and bugs. I have to eat gluten free (Celiac disease) so I was very happy to see GF labeled options on the menu, though it was a bit pricey. My last morning I ordered room service. I ordered an omelet, bacon and juice. It tasted chemically and cost me $35. I did not each much of it. You can see the nightly fireworks at Six Flags from the front of the building.

Room Tip: The resort is really spread out so if you are traveling as a group, insist that your rooms be togeth...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

We are so sorry that your visit was less than perfect. Our goal is that you leave feeling recharged and well cared for, and we obviously missed the mark this time. Please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.