“Good for Families and Business”

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Good for Families and Business”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed here for a CLE several years ago, and to be honest, did not know at the time it was also a good place for a family get away. They do an excellent job of separating the business traveler from the family traveler.

This was a last minute trip so we went with a traditional room. I was disappointed to see we were in room 1333, which is the first floor, but in the end it worked out well since we were steps away from the door out to the pool. I was there with my husband and two kids ages 5 and 7 for a long weekend, June 7-10. Overall seemed clean. Our room was clean, halls were clean. I was concerned after reading the negative reviews on trip advisor, but was pleasantly surprised to not have any issues with cleanliness, and believe me, I am a stickler about staying at places that are clean and would have complained and asked for a different room if the room was bad.

The pools were great, the slide a big hit, discovery junction good, s'mores yum, movie in the evening, nice, did the 1 mile nature hike and saw 2 deer, some rabbits, luckily no rattle snakes, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. You really can't find the same beautiful views at any other "Hill Country Resort" in San Antonio. We ate at the restaurant by the Quarry Pool. It was ok. Service was slow, prices high. We bought cereal and pastries in the Market one day and ate outside which was a good alternative to the hotel restaurant. Room service breakfast was ok and the same as the restaurant pricewise. We went down to the Rim to eat dinners, and spent two days at Sea World and Aquatica.

I notice reviewers complaining about the walk from the parking lot to the hotel. Get over it!! Why don't you try getting a little exercise. It takes all of 5 minutes. If you jog it, it takes only a couple minutes!

Already thinking about returning next May/June. My older son and husband will probably try the driving range next visit. My only complaint is the traditional room is a bit small. Next time we'd stay in a suite or a larger room with two queens. Who still sleeps in double/full size beds?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cghouston610
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for the kind review. We are so glad your stay was a success and hope you will be back again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I have been staying at this Westin for over 8 years and have always loved La Cantera as a whole. The staff has always been helpful and friendly, the rooms have always been clean, beds comfortable, the pool area nice and clean and pool staff although busy efficient. We've also recommended this property to others and had a co-worker stay recently and much to our surprise he said the cleanliness of the hotel was greatly lacking. My husband and I just stayed June 2 and we found the same lack of cleanliness. First of all the hallways were littered with trash and dirt as well as trays with food, glasses and towels and who knows what else. These items where there when we checked in but we figured by late afternoon the items should be gone but they were still there in the hall. When we first check in to a hotel I always give the room a look over just to make sure everything is as it should be and I found powdered make up from a previous guest which spilled after I opened my suitcase, the carpet was stained in a few areas and the bathroom smelled like dirty mop/rag. The coffee maker was broken and that was the last straw for my husband. My husband went to asked for another room and the front desk did apologize and promptly put us in another room but the shower still smelled like dirty mop/rag. The bed was as hard as sleeping on the floor. The one highlight of our stay came when visiting the pool. The staff was great as were the drinks & food we ordered. We were told Management had recently changed and it was not going well as a whole for the hotel. We were sorely disappointed by this recent stay as well as hearing that Management was aware these things were going on and obviously not doing their job to correct the situation. I don't believe we will be staying at this Westin in the future unless we hear the company has addressed these issues.

3 Thank M M
Please accept our apologies that you encountered anything less than an immaculate room while you were here. We have reviewed your feedback with the housekeeping team, and we are confident that this will not go unnoticed again. Please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.
Marshall, TX
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed there for two nights mid-week and were very pleased. The property is beautifully situated on hills overlooking the city. We're not golfers, but I understand the course is challenging; every third guest seemed to have a set of clubs. Our room (2323) was quiet, nicely appointed and had a good view. Service throughout the hotel was exceptionally attentive. There are large public spaces where one can sit, meet and visit. The buffet was delicious; we only ate one breakfast there; I had coffee and a muffin at their drop-in café another morning. For families: several pools, tennis, sitters, camp, blow-up jumping rooms outside, Sea World and Fiesta Texas are less than 15" away from the Westin. Unless you valet park, you'll be walking downhill to a parking lot (and back up again); however, there is a shuttle whisking everyone back and forth, just be prepared! My husband attended a conference there, so our cost was a special group rate. Though it's a pricey stay, I felt the value was well worth it, and if I had children, I would consider staying here for the convenience and activities nearby. The only negative is that it is a long busy drive to the River Walk area.

Room Tip: Our room fronted the hotel; nevertheless, it was quiet. We stayed on the second floor, though the e...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nittie
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope you will be back again soon!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Watch out for their "resort fee", not included if you book through and outside online service. Recently stayed here, room was very clean and nice, what you should expect from a 4 star rating. However, that was the only thing good here. Most of the staff are just college kids, not professionals. I was told there is a corkage fee, and yes you may bring your own bottle of wine into Francescas, not the case, had a rude sommelier inform me otherwise, once I was already seated at my table with friends and family. Also the portions in this restaraunt were ridicuously small for the money. Also was charged for their "valet service" that I did not use, was on the phone repeatedly with Walter their accountant trying to clear this up. Finally was done after a week, and I was given no apology. Everything here is extremely over priced, staff is unfriendly, and indifferent. I would never stay here again, BAD EXPERIENCE!

Room Tip: Overall, a very nice clean hotel, only drawback, food is extremely over priced and staff is neither...
1 Thank GeorgeG330
We are so sorry that your visit was less than perfect. Please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.
Austin, TX
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Wife and I went for a concert in San Antonio and stayed one night. On arrival we ate in the restaurant while our room was being readied. The grilled chicken sandwich with avocado was excellent. Service with a smile. All good so far. After checking into our room we decided to take a short nap before the concert. In about 20 minutes room service woke us up saying they needed to look at the mini-bar and see if the previous guest had taken anything. Then I heard them knocking on all of the doors down the hall checking their mini-bars. So much for the nap. Since we would be out late we asked for a late check-out. At 9:30 a.m. room service knocked on our door wanting to clean our room.
At breakfast we waited about 10 minutes for a table. In the restaurant we noticed that about 30% of the tables were empty but had not been cleaned. They seemed a little overwhelmed. The server was friendly and helpful.
The hotel did seem busy as it was full of families visiting nearby Six Flags so, perhaps this caused a lapse in service. We will try it again as this may have just been an anomaly. The experience was mostly ok but just not the 5 star this resort is billed as.

1 Thank petfoodguy
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Our goal is to help you get back to your best self so that you leave feeling recharged and well cared for. We clearly fell short during your stay. We apologize for the interruptions and noise during your stay. Please accept our apologies and know that your comments have been shared with the team to assist in improving the overall guest experience. Please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.
St Louis, MO
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

4 day stay in a standard room. Some staff are extremely courteous others clearly wanted to be shown the money. Check-in was quick without hassle and a little early which was great. Finding your way around takes a Garmin but eventually you'll get the hang of it.
MEETING: everything was set up very nicely. Good flow for food, drink, mingle, work. Food was overall very good but at times I was concerned with food temperature. Even things over Sterno were not hot. Filet and shrimp served at dinner were very good and breakfast each morning was nice with plenty of choices. THIEVERY: I left my name badge w/ holder on the table during a gala. In it contained my room key , an Am Ex card, and $30 for tips. Everyone else's purses and items were also there. I came back to find that mine was gone so immediately searched and realized it was taken. I informed the catering manager who immediately had staff looking and I went to the front desk to deactivate the room key and report it. I waited to cancel the credit card because I felt like it was mistakenly picked up with the linens and would be returned by morning. Morning came and no badge so I cancelled the card. My mid-day he badge was returned with the credit card in it. Room key and money were stolen. I informed security and their response was, good I'm so glad you got your credit card back. No apologies for the stolen money.
ROOM: Upon entering the room it smelled of grandmas musty farm house and despite air conditioning at full blast it never went away.
Room was comfortable with 2 closets and a large chest for clothing. It is period decor throughout so if your looking for a modern decor it's not the place for you. Double vanity, tub w/ rain head shower, and separate toilet with pocket door. Adequate toiletries so no need to pack those. I thought there would be no need to speak of the bed, I mean its the heavenly bed right! Well apparently what I was told were silverfish think the bed is heavenly too! I will attach a picture of the creature you may sleep with. Two of my co-workers also experienced an insect problem, spider in shower and roach in bathroom.
POOL: Adult pool was not heated but quiet, actually very boring. We opted for a nice area near the waterfall. Several quiet places around the pool and if I would have had the kids they would have had plenty to keep them busy and I would have been able to relax and watch. The lounge chairs were the typical white rubber straps with a dark cushion thrown on top. The majority of the chairs were not adjustable because the hooks were broken off. Pool towels very nice. Wait staff at pool were hit and miss. I pride myself on tipping well for service but very few staff went above and beyond.
FITNESS: good gym with adequate equip. Trails nice but not really a challenge.
Concierge was helpful And recommended an amazing Mexican place La Margarita in Market Place.
LIQUOR: beer is 5.50 and mixed is $8 and up. They are mixed really weak.
LOCATION: right up the hill from six flags and large shopping center with restaurants. Shuttle service provided for this. $50 cab ride to airport, river walk, etc.
If you are looking for upscale hotel and service...this is not where I would spend my money. Fortunately this was a work trip and I wasn't out too much.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank GoGirlStL
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
We are committed to making every guest experience delightful. We are so sorry that your stay did not live up to that commitment with the issues you had with silverfish and thievery. Please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.
St. Louis, Mo.
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

If you are at a conference where someone else is paying, or on a golf trip, this is a nice place. It is an isolated resort with conference rooms, a pool, and 2 nice golf courses. If you are not golfing, there is nothing to do. It is a $55 dollar cab ride to the Riverwalk (one way). They do have a free shuttle to a nearby shopping center. Rooms are adequate, clean, a little small, and nothing special. Staff are friendly, but lack awareness of their own resort (where are the restrooms?) and of the surrounding area. You get the feeling they would like to help, but they just lack some basic skills and knowledge. Food was ok, nothing special. Stay at the Riverwalk and drive here to golf.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TPHOB
Our goal is to help you get back to your best self so that you leave the Westin La Cantera Hill Country Resort feeling recharged and well cared for. We take feedback from our guests very seriously and use it to improve the overall experience. Please know that your comments have been forwarded to our staff and that we are making every effort to improve the overall guest experience!