“Nice Room, but Serious Problems Here” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Cantera Resort & Spa

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice Room, but Serious Problems Here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

Staff is really wonderful and helpful at this hotel; staff is five-star quality. However, two serious problems here, the major one being the food preparation. First night, after a long travel day, I ordered the fried calamari at the hotel bar, only to be told by the bartender not to order it: "some people like it, some people hate it." So much for confidence in the hotel kitchen. So, I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich. First bite, chicken tasted cold; second bite cold again; looked at the sandwich and the chicken was completely raw in the center. Tonight (last of five nights here), decided to try the calamari. It came in long strips. First small piece, delicious. Second, thicker piece, cold and raw in the middle. There is something seriously deificient with the food preparation here. Do the chefs use food thermometers? This food prep is a health hazard. Second, less serious problem is the state of disrepair of the pool lounge chairs. Pools here are absolutely gorgeous, but many of the chairs are broken and the hooks to help them recline have been snapped off. I feel this is unacceptable in a hotel of this calibre. I felt horribly for the staff who, always professional, have to put up with absolutely inferior quality. Unless things change here at Westin La Cantera, I would suggest people stay elsewhere.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Chicagodocjerry
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Please accept our apologies that your meals were not to your liking. Our restaurant associates are empowered to make it right no matter what arises, so please always feel comfortable in raising your issue to the team/associates. We welcome the opportunity to make it up to you. Please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

The casitas are definitely worth the extra money. Each room receives their own golf cart to drive around the resort. The kids thought that was the best part. Went during Thanksgiving, not too busy. The rooms were big enough for wife and two kids, with large outside patio. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope you will be back again soon!
Keller, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

I recently held a meeting at the Westin for about 150 people and the service was outstanding. My family met me there after my conference ended for a little R&R and it was one of the best family vacations we've had in a long time. The hotel is wonderful, the rooms are clean, the service is impeccable and the pool areas are a lot of fun. They even have this kid zone set up in one of the tennis courts with bounce houses and water slides, etc. Kids had a blast! They also have a kids club that my kids really enjoyed while my husband and I spent the afternoon at the adult pool that has amazing views of the surrounding Hill Country. It's very close to Sea World and Six Flags too. I cannot recommend this hotel enough!!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so glad to have been a part of your business meeting and family R&R. Please come back again soon!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Westin LaCantera Hill Country Resort, San Antonio was truly a first class resort.
The staff was amazing, I have been in 5 star resorts around the world and never experienced
a staff so friendly and helpful as the staff at this Westin. Very kid friendly lots of activites. Our grandkids had a blast.The rooms are very clean and well appointed. The resturants food was excellent. It shows that this location has good managers who set the tone for the resort.

TR
Austin, TX

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
kansas city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Just left the resort after a four night stay in a 2 room casita. This was a return trip to the property. Room, hotel, and surrounding grounds were immaculate. Service was friendly and professional. Pool area was perfect for young children although older children might get bored. Play area (discovery zone), kids club, smores, and golf cart made it a great stay for our 3 young children. Food quality in restaurants was fine, and free breakfast for those 5 and under made it affordable. Drove to zoo, downtown museums, etc with minimal hassle.This property is the place to stay for young families in SA.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the nice review. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon!
Cocoa Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our family of four stayed at this resort for 5 days last week and I don't recommend it. The location is great, close to shopping, dining and Six Flags.
We were able to check in early which was a plus as we arrived at noon. However the room we got had a slight smell and felt damp. We shook it off and blamed the rainy weather. The grounds are very nice and staff friendly and helpful. There is shuttle to the La Cantera shops which was great. Unfortunately after that first night our opinion of our stay quickly changed. My husband and I both got up early the next morning for a workout in the fitness room. It is a nice size room with nice equipment but found no dry towels and the hamper was so overflowed that there were towels on the floor. This was at 7am so I'm guessing the room had not been cleaned since the day before. Also there was not disinfecting spray to wipe down the equipment with when done. We went out for the day and on our return later that evening our key cards did not work. We had 4 cards and none of them worked. This happened every night with the exception of our last nights stay.
The room was a disappointment as we figured out the smell was probably from a visible water leak on the ceiling of the bathroom and a huge mold spot. There was also mold on the wall that you could see from behind the wallpaper. The door frame was splitting most likely from the water damage and the wallpaper was peeling off the walls. All of the lamps, baseboards, and ac vents were caked with dust. Although it looked like the room was cleaned everyday it was not vacuumed daily. The management really needs to work on the maintenance and housekeeping.
On the last day of our trip we went to the business center to print boarding passes where we were told it was a minimum $5 to use the internet and .50 per b/w copy. Talk about nickel and diming people, this was a first for me. I printed our passes and when we got back to the room what do you know none of our key cards worked. We started back to the lobby and my son ran ahead. As we got to the bottom floor my son met us with a long face. Apparently the front desk clerk scolded him asking where his mother was, he was not allowed to be down there alone, what time were we checking out, and this was the last time she was going to do this. I was furious, good thing for my husband, he asked me not to make a seen. After getting our things we checked out I let the clerk know I was dissatisfied and she proceeded to give me not a comment card but a scrap paper to write my comments on. Unbelievable.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Please accept our apologies that you encountered anything less than an immaculate room while you were here. We have reviewed your feedback with the housekeeping team, and we are confident that this will not go unnoticed again. Please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Awesome! My wife and I were celebrating our 10th anniversary and I choose the Westin as our destination. I say "I" because my wife did not know where we were going, it was all a surprise. Prior to my arrival I searched this very site (trip advisor) and noticed the name Victor Hernandez , had been mentioned a few times. So, I decided why not give Victor a call, and boy I have to give him 5+ Stars...he was great. He was knowledgeable, patient and professional . I was unsure if I wanted to stay in the Casitas or the Club Level, but after my conversation with Victor he put me at ease. We stayed in the Casitas and my wife loved it (especially the private golf cart). We had roses leading up to the bed which were then arranged in a heart. WOW, WOW. And when you walked out of our room we were just steps away from the hot tub. Our bellman (dang forgot his name) gave us great suggestions to eat and Rick was also great. Thanks a bunch, we will be back; a family trip next time my girls would also love it. Only compliant was the weather could have been better, but hey you guys aren’t God.....or are you...Thanks Sellers Family

Room Tip: If you want something differnt and not your "standard type" hotel room. Go with the Casit...