Planned a short getaway at the end of spring break week. Reviewed several similar properties (Hyatt, Marriott) before selecting Westin. Overall, I have to say we were disappointed. The property is lovely but seems understaffed. Front desk staff was distracted and didn't bother to share any details of activities planned for the weekend (which we learned later from friends). Also, confusion surrounding check in when friends were told we weren't there (we had checked in hours before).
We booked a hill country view room. We could see the hill country from our window, if we placed our heads against the glass and strained to the right. Not happening. Instead we got a nice view of the rooms on the other side of the hotel.
Room was comfortable but needed a better cleaning, which was confirmed when I found someone else's medication on the floor of our bathroom. Ick. One day the room wasn't cleaned at all, even when we informed a housekeeper late in the afternoon. Oh well.
Since it was spring break, the hotel was busy but the pools were really too small for a hotel of this size. I had called ahead when doing research to confirm the pools were heated (we like to swim) and was told they are. Maybe I should have asked their definition of 'heated'. REALLY didn't feel heated to anyone in our party. We stuck to the hot tub.
On the positive side, the location is ideal (great shopping nearby, along with Fiesta Texas), the food was delicious, the property was really gorgeous and the staff tried to be helpful. With the exception of the valet staff, they just seemed overworked, under trained and kind of helpless. One front desk person couldn't give me directions to the gym. Okay, how about a map and some breadcrumbs?
For the price and past experience with Westin, I expected a lot more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Cantera Resort & Spa is a 550 acre hill country oasis atop one of the highest points in San Antonio and is centrally located to the finest attractions the city has to offer. Luxurious accommodations offer every amenity in addition to separate adult and family friendly pools, Loma de Vida Spa & Wellness and 36 holes of on-site championship golf. Less than a mile away with complimentary transportation are the Shops at La Cantera with a variety of luxury shopping and dining options, The Rim shopping center, and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. Additionally, SeaWorld, downtown San Antonio, the airport and hill country adventures like antiquing, and wine tours are 20 minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your La Cantera Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin La Cantera Hotel San Antonio
- Westin Cantera Hotel
- La Cantera San Antonio
- Westin La Cantera Resort
- Westin San Antonio
- San Antonio Westin
- The Westin La Cantera Resort San Antonio