“Disappointed”

Ranked #25 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Austin, Texas
“Disappointed”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Planned a short getaway at the end of spring break week. Reviewed several similar properties (Hyatt, Marriott) before selecting Westin. Overall, I have to say we were disappointed. The property is lovely but seems understaffed. Front desk staff was distracted and didn't bother to share any details of activities planned for the weekend (which we learned later from friends). Also, confusion surrounding check in when friends were told we weren't there (we had checked in hours before).

We booked a hill country view room. We could see the hill country from our window, if we placed our heads against the glass and strained to the right. Not happening. Instead we got a nice view of the rooms on the other side of the hotel.

Room was comfortable but needed a better cleaning, which was confirmed when I found someone else's medication on the floor of our bathroom. Ick. One day the room wasn't cleaned at all, even when we informed a housekeeper late in the afternoon. Oh well.

Since it was spring break, the hotel was busy but the pools were really too small for a hotel of this size. I had called ahead when doing research to confirm the pools were heated (we like to swim) and was told they are. Maybe I should have asked their definition of 'heated'. REALLY didn't feel heated to anyone in our party. We stuck to the hot tub.

On the positive side, the location is ideal (great shopping nearby, along with Fiesta Texas), the food was delicious, the property was really gorgeous and the staff tried to be helpful. With the exception of the valet staff, they just seemed overworked, under trained and kind of helpless. One front desk person couldn't give me directions to the gym. Okay, how about a map and some breadcrumbs?

For the price and past experience with Westin, I expected a lot more.

2 Thank KEM1946
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Please accept our apologies that your stay was disappointing. We are so sorry to discover that your room didn’t meet our normal standards for cleanliness while you were here. Also, we have passed your feedback about the temperature of our heated pools along to the maintenance team so that they can check the temperatures. Three out of our five pools are heated, and the temperatures are kept between 80 and 82. Please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss the issues with your stay further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed here the first weekend of Spring Break to start our kids' spring break week. We are in San Antonio several times a year since we live in Austin, but this is our first time in Westin La Cantera.

My wife and our daughters wanted to do some shopping at La Canter mall and then just hang by the pool and eat out - so the proximity made it an obvious choice. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't the best, but we did get some time by the pool and hot tub on a Saturday afternoon. We were also able to get a great rate through USAA bank, which you should look into if you are a member.

Checking in was a pleasure as our representative was very friendly - and I know everyone says that, but she was just really very attentive and happy. She asked if there were any special events and suggested that there would be a "surprise" in the room after we told of my wife's upcoming birthday.

After self-parking, which is completely easy as nearby side doors can be easily accessed, we found our way to the room which was comfortable, clean, and had a decent view of the swimming pools. The refrigerator was stocked, so not for personal use, but we easily found ice to chill wine we brought. Wine glasses are in the rooms (since the fridge is stocked with wine you can purchase)

It did not seem like a busy weekend so we could easily find a place to relax and talk in the lobby, which was comfortable and spacious enough without being huge. An attached library is a nice touch, and a great place to sit with a book but did not appear adequately utilized throughout the weekend.

The pool is fun, and although heated, the weekend was too cool to spend much time there. Since it was cool, we had a good choice of seating. Service was fairly quick and friendly for drinks and food. The family hot tub is a little out of the way, so not easily used, but the adult hot tub has a great view and was not crowded during our time there.

Our family did enjoy the breakfast buffet in Brannon's, which is reasonably priced - for an upscale hotel - with a good variety of food and an attentive staff. All of our other meals were at restaurants in the shopping center next door. My wife and I did take advantage of the wine tasting at $10 per person, which I would recommend for those who enjoy wine as the guide picked excellent Texas-only wines.

We did not take the shuttle to go shopping, but one is available. Even though it is really just across the road it is too far to walk comfortably, and it is such a winding road with many stops that it takes 10-15 minutes to drive and find parking.

One downside was housekeeping took until late afternoon to get to our room, so it was hard to enjoy the room during the late morning or early afternoon. Although we were upgraded to a "Pure Air" room (it has a filter unit), I'm not sure it made a big difference from any other room.

There was "free" internet in the room, but really it is paid for the the daily "resort fee" that is added to the usual room rate. It can be upgraded to higher speeds for a fee.

They did deliver on their promise of a surprise for my wife's birthday: fresh chocolate-covered strawberries and a hand-written card - a nice touch

Check out is at noon, so plenty generous. I was really glad we self-parked and skipped the bell-hop service since there seemed to be a bit a line-up of people and cars at the front entrance at around noon on Sunday.

This hotel compares very favorable to other upscale hotels in San Antonio that we have stayed in, including other Hill Country locations and Dowtown/Riverwalk locations. I would recommend this one to take advantage of the nearby shopping, which is an excellent outdoor mall and/or Six Flags amusement park. I would not recommend it if you want to be near downtown or other amusement parks in town.

Room Tip: If your not an Allergy or Asthma sufferer, then don't pay to upgrade to Pure Air
3 Thank KJAustin
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
We really appreciate your kind words and hope to see you again soon!
Weddington, North Carolina
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

We had a planned a girls weekend and decided to stay here. We totally made the right choice! Amazing service, amazing location .. Everything from the pools to gardens, nature trail ,and staff made this a great weekend!! Honestly the staff was always on hand and very knowledgable. They helped us find great local restaurants and even gave us complimentary drinks. We loved that there was a full blown Starbucks in the hotel too! Fire pits in the beautiful garden area were a great way to hang out with a glass of wine and chit chat into the late evening! We will be back!! We also made note that this hotel would be a great family vacation with lots of activities for the kids!! We did love that there was an adult only pool when we were there with out our kiddos! ;)

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Aliphoto
Thanks for the great review! We hope to see you again soon.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed in this hotel three days for business meetings. Each of the staff, from the front desk, concierge, waiters and housekeeping staff were so courteous and friendly. My room was so clean. The front desk staff, were very helpful, specially Stacey, who went out of her way to call the airline co and the airport to look for my missing luggage. Food was good although the soup was quite spicy for my taste. The driver of the shuttle was so nice and friendly too. 'twas great to have a shuttle available to bring you the mall and pick you up.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Thank you for the nice review. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed at the Westin Resort during spring break for 2 days. Our plan was to enjoy this luxury hotel at the end of a long ski road trip.
Unfortunately the costs of the hotel did not add to the luxury.
Since we were on such a long trip, we booked, what we thought was an upscale out of the way (and more expensive casita).
The casita area was off the beaten path, which was nice. But the walls to our hotel were so thin you could hear every word from the rooms next door. Literally every word.
We did enjoy the shuttle to six flags, which was convenient, but once we returned to the hotel it was madness.
Since we were so tired, and spent so much money for our luxury hotel, we were looking forward to relaxing on the property.
The hotel pools were madhouses. There was food and garbage everywhere. It was clear that the staff was not equipped to manage the guests.
However we planned to eat a relaxing dinner at one of the hotel restaurants. We were under the assumption that there were several choices. Really there is only one: Brennan's. It is the same one you eat breakfast in. It was my husband's birthday and we were looking forward to a nice meal.
We were so disappointed we almost left and just ordered room service,
The wait staff did not greet us for over 20 minutes or bring us drinks.Once we ordered, they took at least 30 additional minutes, and did not bring our appetizers. The assistant manager did come over and apologize which was nice,

We tried hard to make the best of it, but the combination of the costs, no sleep, and bad service, gives this hotel a bad rating.

It could be very nice if it was managed better.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Sbates313
We are so sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. That your surroundings were anything less than perfectly clean is unacceptable, and we are so sorry that noise from other guests disturbed you. Please accept our apologies and know that your comments have been shared with the team to assist in improving the overall guest experience. Please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.

Also, for future reference, there are several dining options in addition to Brannon's Cafe. We offer fine dining at Francesca's at Sunset; casual fare in Steinheimer's Lounge and Tio's Lobby Lounge; poolside snacks at The Gantry; post-golf refreshments at the La Cantera Grille and the Palmer Grille; or snacks at Henrietta's Market.
Austin, TX
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past. The hotel itself is beautiful and the property is amazing! I have usually had good experiences with this hotel but, this time really was a poor experience. I suppose the really bad news to me was that I am the highest level on the Starwood Preferred Guest program.

Since staying with my family many little items added up to make our stay less than desirable. From our room not being cleaned for 3 days, poor service and food choices and quality for your "perk" to be on the concierge floor, to the staff on the concierge floor arguing with the guest to get them ice for their drinks all the way to the valet guys not being friendly or seeming like they are put out that you are leaving your car with them while the cars are stacked up and no on can get in or out. One other issues was the treatment you received if you did not leave them a tip for taking or retrieving your car (this is after the $30 you pay to valet park).

On a good note, the front office supervisor once she learned of our difficulties, really tried to make things right. Without her, we would have rated the hotel even worse.

I want to state before I end, that I am reviewing this hotel by our experience on this most recent stay and not my prior experiences.

Room Tip: Book the Casita rooms. They are incredible rooms.
1 Thank clay3c
Our goal is to help you get back to your best self so that you leave The Westin La Cantera Hill Country Resort feeling recharged and well cared for. We clearly fell short in this situation. We are so glad to know that your feedback was taken seriously while you were here and that you felt the situation was resolved. If you would like to discuss this with the General Manager, please call 210.558.6500. Again, our apologies.
Jacksonville
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed here recently before the Theme parks were opened. I was here on business for a conference. The facilities were first class. It is a good place for a business conference. The grounds were spacious and the decor kept with the Western Ranch house theme. It is isolated a bit from San Antonio if that is what you are looking for. Nearby are shoppping malls and chain restaurants if you want to go "off campus." Over all the rooms were large and the hotel is big.
The thing that impressed me the most was the service. This is attributable I think to the management. I stay at a lot of chain and "convention" hotels. This Westin was at the top for service with everyone I met. The hosptality EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO WORKED THERE was outstanding. That made the stay that much more pleasant in my experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
It's always great to hear that our team made your experience even better! We hope you'll be back soon.