“Great hotel with fun activities for the kids”

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Frisco, Texas
“Great hotel with fun activities for the kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great location near Six Flags Fiesta Texas. Shuttle to the park was convenient. Nice rooms in a clean hotel. Pool was clean and the kids enjoyed it. The resort had several activities for the kids (movie night, smores, etc) that were nice extras they enjoyed. Booked through Priceline. Definitely recommend staying there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
We are so glad that your stay exceeded your expectations! Our Kids' Club is always popular. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
San Rafael, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is a hotel that simply does things right. Nice physical plant, tremendous staff, reasonably good food (it does need a bit more diversity; I love Tex-Mex, but not all the time). I'd happily return. Rooms are well laid out. Meeting spaces are good. Grounds are very nice. Self-park is very far away though, and valet costs $22/day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thanks for the great review! We hope you will be back again soon.
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I reviewed the property about a year ago and had a wonderful stay, I returned and it was awful. The service was horrendous. We stayed in the casitas and we had to beg to get any sort of service down there. The first night we had a sink that wouldn't drain, while we were out the maintenance person came to fix it and somehow spewed sewage all over my things. The hotel handled the incident property replacing my items but the damage was done. We were hosting a meeting there and the level of service was appalling, I will consider significantly before returning to a Westin again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We are so sorry that your visit was less than perfect. Our goal is that you leave feeling recharged and well cared for, and we obviously missed the mark this time. Please accept our apologies and call the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Also returned from a conference and can't say enough about the service. Elise in the gift/ice cream shop was a dear. I make special thanks to the Chef of the bakery/Ice Cream parlor....Great job Chef. The oatmeal cookie ice cream made me walk an extra mile a day !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our ice cream! Please come back again soon.
Midland, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is my first time at Westin La Cantera, and I will be back. I immediately relaxed when I got to my room and opened the door to a magnificent and expansive Texas Hill Country Vista. The breakfast buffet was wonderful, and I loved walking around the pool. I'm not a golfer, but the course looked exquisite.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
We're so happy you enjoyed yourself and look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Alto, NM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Small spa but lovely. Very talented people working there. Had the BEST PEDICURE I've ever had ... The Woodhouse Pedicure is an 80-minute affair that leaves you totally relaxed and happy. I also had a massage with David and it was one of the best massages I've had in any spa anywhere; as I was in so much pain in my neck, shoulder and back when I arrived, and those pains were entirely gone after my 80-minute massage. (I get regular massages and that does not usually happen.) The tranquility room was lovely and peaceful until some people from the gym that is actually in the spa came in and destroyed the stillness and repose of the room. It is unfortunate that the hotel gym is in the spa's space as it detracts from the calmness of the place. The facial I had was very effective and I got great results, but the facialist would not stop selling her products to me. The hard sell tactic was too much for me, I admit. Especially since I was trying to relax. The staff at the spa was very good and very efficient. This is a small spa, so only 2 showers and no hairbrushes - although I did finally find some flimsy combs inside a little chest of drawers by the door. I'd hate to have to blow dry my hair there and get ready to see anyone after a massage.
Our hotel room lacked robes and a corkscrew to open the wine that was in our minibar. The beds were a little soft and lumpy. Not the best beds. The view out to the pool was gorgeous, and Starbucks coffee was nice to have. There is no shower gel and the line of soaps, etc is too commercial - for a resort of this caliber, we expected better amenities in the room (like Molton Brown shampoo and shower gel for instance.)
The fine dining restaurant at the hotel is wonderful - Francesca's At Sunset. Highly recommend visiting that restaurant; had one of the best meals there that have ever had anywhere. And Francesca's showed sensitivity to vegans, which was lovely. The food was amazing; Stephen Gonzales is a phenomenally talented chef with a very diverse menu and excellent wine choices.

Room Tip: Be prepared for a long walk - immense number of rooms and one must walk a long way to get to many of...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the nice review. We are so glad you enjoyed the spa and hope you will be back soon!
St. Louis MO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful property. The rooms are very nice with great views. The food is excellent and the people are very friendly. We had several blips during our stay which were a bit frustrating, but we still had a good time. I think for a 4-star Westin, they should have things running a bit smoother. The one person who really knows her stuff is Mary on the club floor. We did not stay on the club floor but are platinum Starwood members and used the club. I wish Mary had been the concierge.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review. We apologize for the blips you experienced and would like to hear about them in more detail. Could you please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further?