“Fails to deliver in every way with terrible service and value for the money”

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #27 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Should have known better - a big, maze-like resort hotel sitting next to an amusement park - never again - in advance I booked a Casita Suite attempting to have some privacy and get away from the noise of the main hotel - that disappeared at check-in with no explanation - so they put us into an executive suite overlooking valet parking and right underneath the food service area for the club floor one level up - trying to sleep past 5 am required ear plugs as the noise from the floor above sounded like basketball being played and I could hear every car coming through valet - - maid service was non- existent even after I called to ask for it - 600 a night to be treated like this? Starwoods should be embarrassed to treat its SPG members this way - A mistake I won't make again.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank HoustonPineypoint
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Our goal is to help you get back to your best self so that you leave feeling recharged and well cared for. We clearly fell short during your stay. That your room was anything less than what you expected is unacceptable, and we are so sorry that noise from other guests disturbed you. Please accept our apologies and know that your comments have been shared with the team to assist in improving the overall guest experience. Please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

The rooms were clean and quiet, staff was very friendly and helpful, breakfast was great. There's plenty to do in the area with golf, shopping, movies, restaurants....it was a great alternative to staying on the Riverwalk. Been there twice and enjoyed both trips.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks so much for your kind words. We hope you will be back again soon!

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was very disapointed in the service. I felt like I was at a motel instead of a Resort. No one wanted to do there job. Ask to have my golf clubs sent to the golf shop, was told I had to find out which course I was playing, Don't they have a phone for that? Ask for a fan to be sent to my room, never show up. Had to go request it twice. No service at the pool. They never replaced the soap or shampoo in the room. First night there the fitted sheet keep poping off. It was the wrong size. Had to request them to be changed. I think that the Hotel staff and the golf staff don't work well together. It was like the Hatfeilds and McCoys's. For the money there at better places to stay that will give you the service that should come with the title Resort.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

We are so disappointed that your stay was less than a restful, relaxing experience. Please accept our apologies for the issues you encountered with your golf clubs and guestroom requests, and know that we will be following up with the team to make sure they don't happen again. If you would, please call the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at the La Cantera last week for a business team meeting. Overall everyone was very pleased with the property, fitness center, and especially the customer service. Everyone at the hotel from front desk to restaurants to maintenance to cleaning crew --- everyone was very courteous and helpful.

I highly recommend the facial services at the spa. I had the "Timeless" facial and it was the best spa service I ever received anywhere. Ask for Adriana Alanis - she is truly amazing!!!

The shuttle service was great. Excellent shopping facilities nearby.

I would defiantly return and defiantly have another facial from Adriana!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

We really appreciate your kind words about the resort and the spa. We hope you will be back soon for another facial!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I travelled to La Cantera for 2 days of golf and relaxation. We had rain one day but played the Palmer Course the second day. It was fabulous. The hotel was delightful, clean, and enjoyable. It would be a great place for a family (all ages) vacation because it so close to so many attractions.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words. We hope you will be back soon!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great views, beautiful setting, top notch service, wonderful staff, spa is spacious and many options, great meeting space, lots of options for inside or outside special event venues, while I was there, I saw a wedding. vow, the setting was amazing.
very convenient from the airport. Shopping galore, food was AWESOME...
I loved it.. can't wait to place a program there...

Room Tip: Please try all restaurants.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

We are so glad you enjoyed yourself and look forward to working with you! Come back soon.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Meh. I planned for months for my husband's 50th birthday and our 14th anniversary getaway.The hotel was practically empty. I upgraded to a concierge floor room for $90+ more per night. I would never do this again. Breakfast was one hot item (either a southwest egg roll type thing or some really awful oatmeal "puck" and yogurt, bagel, pastries w coffee and juice. Nothing to write home about. And they start picking it all up at 945am so they can shut the door at 10am on the dot. We had a glass of wine each evening in there as well. The room is the same size on this floor as on any other so for the extra cost, I would not choose to do this again.Typical room. Nothing special. It was clean. Nice to have two closet spaces.
The hotel is a car ride from anywhere. If you don't rent a car, expect to pay BIG bucks for a taxi. A taxi to downtown cost $65 one way. We knew in advance and only went downtown once as we were at the hotel for my husband to enjoy the golf courses. He loved both of the courses. If you are a golfer you will love them! Stop by the Palmer Grille Club House for $2 beer specials in the afternoon. Anything other than a beer or wine request and the bartender will look at you like you have 3 heads. HOWEVER, all the employees were VERY cordial. I must say, cordial only goes so far when you are expecting something special.
The pool area was completely empty each day (September 30 - Oct 5). The supposedly heated pools were not heated at all. They were freezing. So while my husband played golf, there was absolutely nothing to do. I had already spent a day at the shopping mall. Yawn. I really wanted to enjoy a swim and perhaps a cocktail by the pool. The pool bar that was advertised as opening at 11:30am each day was never opened on any day. There was a sign directing guests to ask someone in the cafe for a drink.
I spent a great deal of money at this hotel for only four nights. Worse, I can't get any of those days back. There was nothing glaringly wrong with the stay at all - it just wasn't in any way special. Bottom line, there was no discernible value. I wouldn't return.
(I could write so many more details such as the garbage can outside our room collecting rain water from the ceiling, the numerous emails prior to our arrival to the concierge only to reserve the golf and restaurants myself...but it would take too long and I've already chalked it up to a very forgettable experience). On a bright note, the concierge had chocolate strawberries sent up the first night for our anniversary (after he asked what kind of wine we liked to drink). The strawberries came the second night too. I think that was a mistake. When I thanked the concierge, he had no idea and didn't know the champagne was not delivered at all. He did send it up the 3rd night). Everything felt disjointed.
OH and before I forget - we arrived the day the golf doubled in price. From $65 a round to $125 with NO discount for hotel guests. Great courses, poor value.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Westin_La_Cantera, General Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Our goal is to help you get back to your best self so that you leave feeling recharged and well cared for. We clearly fell short during your stay. We are so sorry that you didn't enjoy yourself as you should have. Please accept our apologies and know that your comments have been shared with the team to assist in improving the overall guest experience. Please contact the General Manager at 210.558.6500 to discuss this further.