Meh. I planned for months for my husband's 50th birthday and our 14th anniversary getaway.The hotel was practically empty. I upgraded to a concierge floor room for $90+ more per night. I would never do this again. Breakfast was one hot item (either a southwest egg roll type thing or some really awful oatmeal "puck" and yogurt, bagel, pastries w coffee and juice. Nothing to write home about. And they start picking it all up at 945am so they can shut the door at 10am on the dot. We had a glass of wine each evening in there as well. The room is the same size on this floor as on any other so for the extra cost, I would not choose to do this again.Typical room. Nothing special. It was clean. Nice to have two closet spaces.
The hotel is a car ride from anywhere. If you don't rent a car, expect to pay BIG bucks for a taxi. A taxi to downtown cost $65 one way. We knew in advance and only went downtown once as we were at the hotel for my husband to enjoy the golf courses. He loved both of the courses. If you are a golfer you will love them! Stop by the Palmer Grille Club House for $2 beer specials in the afternoon. Anything other than a beer or wine request and the bartender will look at you like you have 3 heads. HOWEVER, all the employees were VERY cordial. I must say, cordial only goes so far when you are expecting something special.
The pool area was completely empty each day (September 30 - Oct 5). The supposedly heated pools were not heated at all. They were freezing. So while my husband played golf, there was absolutely nothing to do. I had already spent a day at the shopping mall. Yawn. I really wanted to enjoy a swim and perhaps a cocktail by the pool. The pool bar that was advertised as opening at 11:30am each day was never opened on any day. There was a sign directing guests to ask someone in the cafe for a drink.
I spent a great deal of money at this hotel for only four nights. Worse, I can't get any of those days back. There was nothing glaringly wrong with the stay at all - it just wasn't in any way special. Bottom line, there was no discernible value. I wouldn't return.
(I could write so many more details such as the garbage can outside our room collecting rain water from the ceiling, the numerous emails prior to our arrival to the concierge only to reserve the golf and restaurants myself...but it would take too long and I've already chalked it up to a very forgettable experience). On a bright note, the concierge had chocolate strawberries sent up the first night for our anniversary (after he asked what kind of wine we liked to drink). The strawberries came the second night too. I think that was a mistake. When I thanked the concierge, he had no idea and didn't know the champagne was not delivered at all. He did send it up the 3rd night). Everything felt disjointed.
OH and before I forget - we arrived the day the golf doubled in price. From $65 a round to $125 with NO discount for hotel guests. Great courses, poor value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Cantera Resort & Spa is a 550 acre hill country oasis atop one of the highest points in San Antonio and is centrally located to the finest attractions the city has to offer. Luxurious accommodations offer every amenity in addition to separate adult and family friendly pools, Loma de Vida Spa & Wellness and 36 holes of on-site championship golf. Less than a mile away with complimentary transportation are the Shops at La Cantera with a variety of luxury shopping and dining options, The Rim shopping center, and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. Additionally, SeaWorld, downtown San Antonio, the airport and hill country adventures like antiquing, and wine tours are 20 minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your La Cantera Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin La Cantera Hotel San Antonio
- La Cantera San Antonio
- Westin Cantera Hotel
- Westin La Cantera Resort
- Westin San Antonio
- San Antonio Westin
- The Westin La Cantera Resort San Antonio