“Excellent choice”

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #27 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed January 10, 2008

My husband, 2 kids (ages 10 and 15) and I stayed at the Westin during winter break from school. The hotel was elegant and the rooms were very comfortable, although we would have liked bigger beds (we had two doubles). We spent most of the day sightseeing and loved the city of San Antonio -- so much to do! Our time at the hotel was limited but here are the pros and cons: Pros: nice responsive staff, clean indoors and out, beautiful lobby, Starbucks on property, great location (short drive to several shops, restaurants, movie theater -- an amazing one at that). Cons: on-site restaurants were expensive (but good food); no indoor pool or jacuzzi; long walk from parking lot to our building - couldn't find the shortcut because it was not well-lit. Overall, we had fun and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed January 2, 2008

We just returned from a 4 day stay at the Westin La Cantera. We were traveling with friends and were upgraded to the Presidential Suite (2 rooms adjoin the parlor room with 3 total bathrooms). The Suite was very nice - a great addition for us since we were traveling with 4 kids. It allowed us to retreat somewhere after the kids went to bed at night.
Our first full day there (this past Sunday), we went to Sea World and returned to the hotel around 5pm. Our rooms were not made up and when they finally were, not enough towels were left, and no additional shampoo/soap was left.
We ate at Brennans for breakfast - the buffet was fine, normal hotel food for $16 a person, and the kids ate free which was nice.
The Starbucks at the hotel was a great addition, however their hours were a bit inconvenient.
The Spa was booked, so we couldn't get appointments.
The gym was nice, plenty of equiptment to use, and the gym was quite full.
New Year's eve day, our daughter had an accident on the bed (she is potty training), luckily (we thought) she was sleeping on top of the comforter. Only the comforter and sheets needed to be changed, we contacted housekeeping and the head of housekeeping came into our room and said no problem, it will be changed before you get back. We arrived back and the bed was "changed" When we got into bed near midnight - we discovered that only the sheets were changed and the wet comforter was left on the bed...nasty, huh! Needless to say it took about 45 minutes for housekeeping to bring us new blankets, and they brought us ratty old ones.
All in all, the room (with the suite) was great and housekeeping needed improvements.
I'd probably stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed December 16, 2007

I cannot attest to the food poisoning incidents, but I can attest to the fact that our family reunion was held here last June, a total of 19 rooms/suites were booked, and no one got sick, everyone was happy with the accommodations (all 70+ of us from all over the nation), and the service was admirable. The lobby area was beautiful and served as a nice gathering spot for our group. Lots of pools and space for everyone, great for the little ones as well as our 92 year old Grandmother! The concierge went out of their way to help us with activities for our group as well. This property feels intimate and tucked away, yet is right next door to Six Flags, and easy distance from shopping and other restaurants. Nice golf course as well. Overall our experience was superb!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed December 12, 2007

Visited this hotel with our extended family in Nov. 2006 and loved it so we booked again for Nov. 2007 but had a terrible experience so will not go there again. Fri. night after Thanksgiving 11 in our party went to 6 Flags across the street from the hotel while 3 of us stayed at the hotel and had dinner in Bannon's Cafe. I woke up sick Sat. morning at 4 am. and was dreadfully sick and in bed all day Sat. Thought it was a stomach flu or the like until another of our dinner 3-some got up sick on Sun. morning. She was too sick for the drive back to Dallas so the family had to stay an additional night at the hotel which required two rooms. We then decided it was food poisoning from probably eating lettuce from the salad bar at the Cafe. The 3rd in our party had not eaten any lettuce. Once home we learned via the internet that there had been other cases of food poisoning at the hotel about the same time. We contacted the health dept. which confirmed the other food poisonings. They conducted an investigation of the Cafe and found pkgs. of moldy lettuce. Some in our party felt the dishes and silverware in the Cafe we not clean but the health dept. said the dishwashing was in order. However on the Sun. after I was sick when I went to breakfast there was a lipstick stain on the coffee cup at my place. The waitress apologized and replaced it. The hotel is being sold to another hotel outfit which intends to add 500 additional rooms and a convention center so perhaps meantime the present management is letting things slide. There was some problem with the key cards as most days we had to get them replaced at least twice a day. I would not advise going there at the moment.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank NCSuze
Reviewed November 28, 2007

We were at La Cantera for Thanksgiving with extended family--14 of us in all. Early on our third day my mother in law became violently ill. Early the next morning (the day we were to leave) I came down with the same horrible symptoms. My mother in law was well enough to travel home but my family of 4 had to stay as I was in no shape to make the 5 hour car ride home. We extended our 2 rooms for the night ($500.) telling the front desk that it was due to my illness. Imagine my shock when I got home and read the previous review about the group suffering from food poisoning. I phoned the hotel and was informed by their executive offices that between 11/2 and 11/12 a number of guests and employees had shown symptoms of the norovirus. They assured me that they had contacted the San Antonio Health dept. and they inspected and gave them a clean bill and that the problem had been taken care of. Obviously it was not. We were denied a refund but were offered a one night stay which I refused. The only other remedy was to credit our spg rewards card for a nights stay which I reluctantly accepted. I am most irritated that after informing the front desk staff of my illness no one bothered to check with us to see if the symptoms were similar to what others had experienced--if for no other reason than to alert housekeeping to take extra precautions when cleaning my room.

In addition to the horrendous end to our stay there were also some other issues
1. Our room keys kept "decoding". We made every effort to keep them away from cell phones etc. but were constantly having to have them re keyed (a very long walk to the front desk)
2. When making our travel plans repeated attempts to contact the hotel via email, phone and fax went unaswered. Luckily we checked our 3:00 Thanksgiving dinner reservation on Wed. as the last seating was at 2:00 and it was under a completely different name but with our phone number
3. For holiday weekends they really should have some activities (movies, crafts, etc) for kids. The lobby was like a gymnasium most nights filled with bored children running around and banging on the piano.

We stayed here last year for Thanksgiving and it was a much more pleasant experience. Ironically one of the highlights of my stay this year would have been the fabulous steak dinner that I had in the hotel restaurant if I didn't think that was the meal (salad bar) that made me sick.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2007

I am from Boston and recently visited San Antonio for the 2007 Annual FactSet Symposium; I stayed at the Westin La Cantera and would summarize the experience with the following:

DO WHAT YOU CAN TO AVOID FOOD POISONING - we believe it was the eggs at breakfast on the third day, but whatever it was, numerous other colleagues staying at the Westin for the conference suffered the same affliction/symptoms

RELISH THE WEATHER - if you are from the northeast, Texas can't be beat in November

ENJOY THE ACCOMODATIONS - in general the Westin was very hospitable and scenic, and we were upgraded to a very nice Casita when our room was not available at the time of check-in

Unfortunately, our entire trip was spoiled (by rotten eggs - ha) by whatever it was we ate. I had already planned to extend my stay, and the duration of my stay on the River Walk was ruined! I contacted the hotel to let them know I got sick while eating their food for three days, and the General Manager was quite responsive initially, but I have yet to be adequately compensated.

All in, it was a nice hotel but I am very wary of staying at another Westin. I couldn't even enjoy my first trip to San Antonio and the Alamo without feeling like I had the flu. Stay away from the food, and if possible, stay someplace other than the Westin!

Cheers,
Poopy in San Anton'

Stayed: November 2007
3  Thank HelloFromBeantown
Reviewed October 14, 2007

I would avoid staying here again. We stayed on the 7th floor, which is their club floor. The room was next to the service elevator and it was noisy. I asked to change rooms. Nothing else was available but there was no follow up for the next two nights I had reserved. The room was large 7225 but had lousy decor. No style and no class! We actually left a day early. Had a very expensive pedicure. They were 15 minutes late and the pedicure lasted 45 minutes. Poor value,no frills and was $75. Had terrible service at their cafe. Second night our keys didn't work. For the price this was a crummy experience. If you have to stay here, the club floor is worth it. We will go to the Hyatt Hill Country next time.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family