“Lovely property, especially around holidays.”

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #26 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Midland, Texas
“Lovely property, especially around holidays.”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for New Year's (which is also the time of our anniversary). The staff was wonderful! I mentioned my anniversary when I booked the room, and - without even being asked to do this - when we walked in, there were rose petals scattered on the floor and bed, just like on our honeymoon. That was very special.

We tried out the bar our first night, where we ordered food. The cheeseburger and nachos were exceptional, and so were the martinis! We also ate at Francesca's another night, and the steak was very good, though the menu lacks "normal" choices if you don't eat seafood and wild game (I have a shellfish allergy and am not partial to game, so the only entree I could eat was a steak).

The resort is Texas-chic, and I loved the upscale Western touches. I also loved the modern amenities, like the Starbucks on premises and the wi-fi. I booked a round of golf for my husband, and both he and I really were impressed by the Arnold Palmer course. The greens were INCREDIBLY fast, but the course as a whole was very fun, and we had a great time.

Thanks, La Cantera, for helping us have a great anniversary weekend!

One more note: this property is LOADED with international (read: from Mexico) families during the holidays. While walking around, I heard more Spanish than English in the hallways. This didn't bother me at all, but I did hear another older couple grumbling about it to us in the elevator, so I guess it does bother some people.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Westin_La_Cantera, Management Team at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
We value your response about our hotel during your recent stay. As a hotel, we strive to exceed expectations and are so glad to know that we provided you with a memorable stay. Happy Anniversary to you and your husband. We look forward to celebrating with you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Nueva York
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Very nice hotel overall, the staff in the lobby and the bellman's/valet parking were wonderful. The rooms are big but are beginning to look dated, all in all they are quite comfortable and everything works fine. I stayed with my 2 small kids and my wife and we slept well in a room with 2 double beds. The property is huge. Great swimming pool area, I was there in the winter and some pools remained open as they are heated and they had a tiny ice skating facility, which is a big hit for the kids. The hotel is quite far from downtown San Antonio and Sea World, but it is right next door to I believe Six Flags or a similar amusement park. It is also very close to La Cantera Shopping mall, which is the nicest mall in San Antonio.

The hotel has a Starbucks inside, that I recommend using it, the breakfast restaurant, although they try, its pricy, not that great and the service is quite slow.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind review. We look forward to your next stay with us at The Westin La Cantera Hill Country Resort!
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I've stayed at this resort many times, it's my go to resort in San Antonio. As a Gold card member of the SPG program, I'm eligible for upgrades. This stay I was very surprised! I was upgraded to the Casitas! While away from the main hotel, the staff ensures that transportation around the resort is provided using furnished golf carts. It took some practice for my wife to get the hang of the cart, but she managed. As is the norm at the resort, the staff was very professional, courteous, and friendly. The Casita room was very comfortable and spacious, we even had easy access to the pool which was right outside the door. As always, the staff at the golf course were attentive to all my golfing needs. I will definetly return to my home resort on my next trip to San Antonio.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your upgrade to the Casitas. Please come back again soon!
Chicago
Reviewed January 18, 2012

This is a great hotel on the north side of San Antonio. If you want to go to the River Walk.... you will have to take a car... its not close... but if you want a nice hotel on the outside of the downtown area its a great hotel. I stayed here in Dec of 2011 and the hotel was in full Christmas swing. It had a nice outdoor skating ring... the lobby looked great... it was nice. The room was on the end of a small standard room size. The bathroom was huge, but the room itself was on the smaller side of a standard size room. The gym was nice... pools were great.... this hotel was great. Would love to stay at this hotel again. Its a great place to escape with the family or friends.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank avillebud
Thank you for your thoughtful review of the hotel. We endeavor to exceed the expectations of our guests and thank you for your evaluation. We look forward to your next visit.
Natrona County
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We stayed here for four nights in January. We used the self parking and it was a little walk but not a hardship. The lobby is nice and there are several areas in which to relax. Our check in was uncomplicated and we had a room on the Royal Hacienda Club level as expected. The room was very comfortable and nicely decorated. Starbucks coffee in the room on a vanity table and nice Westin amenities. The bathroom had double sinks, a bonus, and seperate (pocket door) toilet area. There is a small balcony which allowed for fresh air to circulate in the room. The lounge on the club level serves a minimal complimentary breakfast as well as a simple veg tray during cocktail hours. Beverages are available to access throughout the day. A corner alcove of the lounge has a computer and printer available and we noticed several people utilizing that for printing boarding passes. Late afternoon one day we could not stop our toilet from running. A call to the desk brought a speedy visit from maintenance. A few other simple requests we made were also accomplished quickly. This was the kind of service you expect/hope for in a hotel/resort of this calibre. The LaCantera Shops are nearby and a great place to wander on a sunny winter Texas day. Good shopping and several restaurants - ZTejas, Yard House, Cheesecake Factory, to name a few. If you make a trip to the Riverwalk, which is around 20 minutes away, avoid traveling during rush hours to minimize the time spent in the car. I would be happy to hear we were staying here again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Takemeaway79
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. We appreciate the feedback from your stay and look forward to your next visit.
Mexico
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I've stayed at this resort many times, and I've enjoyed every stay. It's great for shopping, or vacations with the kids (Six Flags is a stone's throw away), there are multiple pools where the kids can play and a kid's club. It also has a golf course, which I understand is kind of famous.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Laura Hernandez A, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear Mexicangreekgirl,

We were so happy to hear that you have stayed here many times and have enjoyed every stay! We pride ourselves in doing our best to offer many amenities to choose from, thus providing a great experience for our guests. Yes, in addition to our shopping, Kids Club and six shimmering pools, we also have two fantastic golf courses, The Resort Course and Palmer Course, which recently celebrated its 10th anniversary.
West Islip, New York
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed there in March. beautiful seanery and great rooms.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Robert P,

We were so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay in March and we look forward to your return, perhaps for Spring Break or summer!