“Beautiful views, relaxing, great facilities” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Cantera Resort & Spa

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
“Beautiful views, relaxing, great facilities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed for two nights in early October. The Westin has beautiful grounds and facilities. We especially liked the common spaces, the views, the nature trail, the fitness center and Brannon's Cafe. Our room was wonderful (we upgraded to a city view) with a comfortable bed. We spent time reading by the pool (it was too cold too swim but we enjoyed the hot tub and the views near the adults only pool). The weather in early October was great the first day we were there but it rained hard the first part of the second day. The staff is friendly and helpful. Wish the rooms offered the option of renting movies. A good resort for couples or families.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rshoregon
LauraAplin, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2011
Dear rshoregon,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We are so happy that you had such a relaxing time while you were here. You will be happy to hear that we are currently in the process of selecting a vendor to provide the hotel with in-room movies for your viewing pleasure! We hope to see you again in the near future; don’t forget that our Hill Country Holiday celebration starts November 18th!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

We had such a good time this weekend, I want to Thank Paulina Castañon for her great service @ the lounge on the seven floor

Keep it that way!

My daughter had an awesome time @ kids club too!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank LRodri
Dear LRodri,

Thank you for telling us about your stay! Paulina was very happy to hear that she was able to make your visit more enjoyable. We hope to see you and your family during our Hill Country Holiday celebration starting November 18th!
Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

I just returned from a business trip-related stay at the Westin La Cantera. It is a lovely, sprawling resort nestled atop a hill, about 20 minutes from the airport and downtown San Antonio area. Onsite is a major golf course, and in the local area is Six Flags and the Shops of La Cantera. There is a hotel shuttle that will take you to these destinations. I found the hotel staff to be generally very courteous and helpful. Just a word, though...bring plenty of tip money! I found my hotel room to be clean, spacious, and the bed was very comfortable. Our meeting facilities were very nice, and over all the hotel grounds were quite lovely.

Dining:
1. I would recommend skipping room service. I found it to be pricey in the first place, but then was surprised by a $4 delivery service charge added to the ticket, and, naturally, the young man who delivered it expected a tip. Not against tipping, but seriously, if I am paying $4 for someone to walk it up to my room, and I have to tip him?
2. We dined at Brannon's onsite. It's the cheaper restaurant option to Francesca's. The food is _good_, not great. However, the service was excellent, and the staff were very courteous.
3. They have a very nice bar, complete with a giant screen. Want to stay in and have some drinks and watch the game? It's an excellent place. Just bring plenty of money as their markup on alcohol is pretty high.
4. There are some excellent restaurants nearby off campus, so I would recommend trying those. Z'Tejas is my personal favorite, within the Shops of La Cantera. They prepare their guacamole table-side, and it is the best I have ever tasted.
5. Starbucks is onsite!

Although the weather wasn't conducive to swimming in the pools, I did take advantage of the fitness center onsite. The fitness center provides plenty of treadmills, elliptical machines, and other fitness machines. TVs are built into the treadmills, bikes, and elliptical machines, which is always helpful. The fitness center is within the Health Spa, which is staffed, and opens at 5am every day. There are Aveda products offered within the spa area. I checked out the prices for the spa offerings, and, personally, thought they were priced a bit too high. Pity, I could have used a good massage. But then again, I have to allow for the fact that I was there on business, and may not have been the resort's typical clientele.

The typical tourist spots in San Antonio such as The Alamo and the River Walk are about 20-25 minutes' drive from the resort.

Overall, I would recommend this resort if one is looking for a fine golfing vacation or a shopping and Six Flags amusement park experience. It is also sufficient for a business trip.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank TessaJ
Dear TessaJ,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed summary of your recent stay! It sounds like you had a pleasant time with us despite being here on business! We certainly hope that you get a chance to come back and see us again, perhaps for a more relaxing visit next time. Don’t forget that our Hill Country Holiday celebration starts November 18th; we would love to see you come back with your family!
West Texas USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

This resort is in a beautiful setting and is quiet and peaceful. I found it very relaxing. The staff was all very friendly and helpful and the staff at the spa was outstanding. My room did not have a terrific view but was comfortable and quiet. I ate at one of the restaurants there and the food was quite good and the service very good; it was a bit pricey. There is shopping and there are other restaurants nearby though not within walking distance. I enjoyed my stay there very much.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have a better view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank EdnaJune
Dear EdnaJune,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay! We agree that it would be difficult to find a more beautiful and serene setting in all of San Antonio. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us; if you would like to experience the fabulous shopping and dining in the area next time you visit, please do take advantage of our free shuttle service! It would be our pleasure to take you where you would like to go, and pick you up when you are ready to return! We hope to see you again in the near future; perhaps for our Hill Country Holiday celebration starting November 18th!
Roanoke, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the resort for a business trip, so all expenses were paid. With that being said, the resort fit our needs. If we had paid for the accommodations, I would not be as satisfied. We typically look for accommodations through tripadvisor and have stayed in a ton of different places. We prefer the stays that a modern family would stay and shy away from these high dollars resorts. The customer service was awesome! They do know how to treat their guests and we felt very welcome the entire time. As for the rooms, they are your typical hotel rooms, nothing more that the Holiday Inn that we stayed only a few nights prior. They claim to have heavenly beds and I completely disagree, to me they were harder that I like and the sheets were typical hotel , rough. The grounds are nice but to me not as impressive as the resort website pictures. They claim to have six pools and they do, but are all very close together making it appear to be one. I was excited to see an adult only pool, but it wasn't heated like the rest so I was never able to set foot in it because it was so cold. We attempted to get into the whirlpool one evening and it was full of leaves and dirt and didn't feel to be over 90 degrees. It had been super windy that day, as I had laid by the pool and felt the wind gusts. But at no time did a worker attempt to clean out the pool. By the end of the day it was full of trash and debris. We only ate at the pool restaurant on one occasion and was not satisfied with the food. My husband ordered himself a turkey club and a side salad with no cheese and dressing on the side for me. Both came in the same container and I was disappointed in both. The sandwich was two slices of white/wheat bread, nothing fancy, with chunks of bacon and turkey, not even sliced turkey. It was the poorest excuse for a sandwich especially with the cost over $20. As for my salad, of course dressing was poured all over and was covered in cheese. I could go on with the review, but why? It's voted the 2nd place to stay in San Antonio and people are always going to pick expensive resorts. We never got to see much due to being so far away from everything and the taxi's services being terribly expensive. Again for a free trip, it was fantastic. I'm usually really honest with my reviews and are satisfied with most all stays, just look back. But I guess I expect more at a high class resort, hence the painful review.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LauraAplin, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 21, 2011
Dear KSaul,

I want to personally thank you for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback concerning your recent stay at the Westin La Cantera Resort. We take responses from our guests very seriously, and appreciate the opportunity to improve the experience of each and every guest.

After reviewing the feedback that you provided, I was discouraged to learn that you experienced some unpleasantness in different areas of the resort during your visit. Our ultimate goal is for every guest to have a truly exceptional experience and unfortunately, we did not achieve that goal. Please accept our sincerest apologies.

Please know that your comments have been forwarded to the managers of the areas that you mentioned in your comments, and that we are making every effort to correct these gaps in what is normally outstanding service.

If you are available to do so, I would really appreciate the opportunity uncover more details about your visit and work to regain your confidence. You can reach me directly at laura.aplin@westin.com.
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

My husband and I are both realators so we hardly get a vacation at all. La Cantera was the ideal location to get away from it all. Everybody here made our stay worth while. The resort and the staff are beautiful. We played the resort course one day and had lunch at the clubhouse. Christine, our waitress, was full of laughter. The food here is very appitizing. Another day we lounged around by the adult pool. David was our server and made us feel as if he was our own personal cabana boy. He offered great suggestions for resturants at the hotel and around the area. The Heavenly Bed really is heavenly and the rooms are a decent size as well. This place has a great location as it is conviently located across the street from an outdoormall. Overall me and my husband were very please with our choice and will be returning to La Cantera soon.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda A
Dear Linda A,

Thank you for telling us about your recent experience at The Westin La Cantera Resort! Christine and David were very happy to hear that they were able to make your stay even more pleasant. You can always tell that our associates love taking care of our valued guests by giving you the best service delivered with true Texas Hospitality! With big smiles on their faces, too! We certainly hope that you get a chance to come back and see us again in the near future, and don’t forget that out Hill Country Holiday celebration begins November 18th! Hope to see you then!
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

We stayed here for a weekend and at first were extremely impressed with the place. After checking in we found out the resort had NO wifi. We found that rather strange. Our rooms were ok, but we expected more. We had connecting rooms and one night our teenager and friend had a disturbance and they phoned security at 5am. We were asleep in our room and had no clue. At 7am our teenager woke us up and we were surprised security would go into a room with two minors and never bother to wake up the parents next door to inform them of the disturbance. I thought that was very unprofessional of the staff. We also received a letter in our room telling us of a special rate we were being offered...which included free cans of soda. When we phoned about our cans of soda they told us they were on their way to our room. 12 hours later we ohoned to remind them and they had no clue what we were talking about. It seemed there was no communication between any if the staff. The valet service was strange as well. The valet employees would just stand around and wait for you to approach them if you needed help. They seemed standoffish. We were celebrating a birthday and phoned to have forks and a knife brought over and after 2 calls to remind them and an hour later we finally received them. The breakfast was overpriced and not that great as well. This place is nice looking and has a great location, but definitely not worth the money.

• Stayed September 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
LauraAplin, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
Dear dido1151,

Thank you for providing us with much appreciated comments concerning your recent stay at the Westin La Cantera Resort. We take criticism from our guests very seriously, and appreciate the opportunity to improve the experience of each and every guest.

After reviewing your feedback, we were dismayed to hear that you experienced some unpleasantness during your visit. Our goal is for every guest to have a truly extraordinary experience, and in reviewing your comments, it is clear to me that we did not achieve that goal; for this we sincerely apologize.

Please note that your comments have been forwarded on to managers and supervisors in the areas that you mentioned, and we are currently making every effort to correct these shortcomings so that they will not reoccur.

Please be assured that we are in the process of installing property-wide wireless connectivity but apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you during your time with us.

If you are available to do so, I would really appreciate the opportunity to speak with you about your visit and work to regain your confidence. You can reach me directly at laura.aplin@westin.com.