“Will keep coming back!”

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #27 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The first time we stayed at this hotel, we were absolutely amazed by the hotel view from the balcony which overlooked the hills and pool. We had such a fabulous stay, and nothing could be faulted. On our second stay, we decided to bring family, this time requesting 2 double rooms. We requested hillside views, however to our disappointment ended up with rooftop views. I immediately went downstairs to reception, who were ever so willing to change our rooms to a better view. They ended up upgrading one of the rooms with a double balcomy and amazing views of the golf resort and hillside...absolutely breakthtaking. The room was outstanding! When booking, be sure to clearly state which view you want, otherwise could end looking at rooftops. The beds were so comfortable, bathrooms were very clean and modern. I loved the huge flatscreen! Staff were so friendly and helpful. Our complimentary breakfast was fabulous, everything you could want. However try and get there early, tends to get very busy and you may have to wait a little.

Room Tip: Be sure to state clearly, what type of view you want - Poolside view gives you the view of the hills...
1  Thank Deb56003
Write a ReviewReviews (3,498)

Reviewed July 28, 2011

If you have active kids who love to play in the water and are looking for a beautiful setting in the Texas Hill Country, you should plan a stay at the Westin La Cantera. The enormous swimming pool area is multi-level and has a water slide and a couple of hot tubs. Our kids (9 and 10) were old enough to take care of themselves, so we pretty much turned them loose while we soaked up the sun and read in the poolside chaises. Drink and food service is available around the clock, but you are definitely paying resort prices for everything.

There are restaurants--one VERY expensive and one with average (resort) prices. The food in the less expensive restaurant was average and not worth the wait or the price. The place seems a bit dated and cheap considering how nice the rest of the resort is, so I'd probably opt for taking the car 5 minutes down the road to the mall, which has several restaurants available.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This amazing Westin Property (we learned is actually owned by USAA) is located on a cliff overlooking the beautiful topography of the San Antonio Hill Country. The resort is large in size and the layout somewhat confusing. There are multiple elevators, some of which only service certain floors or certain wings, but you quickly learn how to get around and the staff helpful in guiding you in the right direction. The staff make you feel like you are the most important guest at the property.

The drinks by the pool are $10, comparable to other resort properties and the poolside menu similar to most resorts. Hamburger around $13, I ordered the Chicken Quesadillas ($10), this item was not on the menu but offered to the guests, delicious!

The rooms are consistent with Westin quality, Heavenly Bed, Rain showerhad and large flat screen television, etc., a complimentary water is offered to members on the preferred floor, along with a flourless brownie from the chef, absolutely delicious! My FIRST room, 6045 on the preferred floor, had food on the ceiling (looked like someone threw their pizza on the ceiling) so they moved me to another room, a "PUR" room, 4024. The concept is fabulous, designed for those who suffer from allergies, however the room I was placed in had AC problems and I poured sweat all night. I was moved to another room in the morning (facing the delivery driveway to the kitchen) not acceptable and then finally landed in room 6065, which also had food on the ceiling. Many families with small children stay at this property, as it so close to Fiesta Texas and Sea World, so I would imagine it is difficult to maintain the rooms. Tired of being moved and the fact it was digging into our R&R time, 6065 is where we decided to stay. This room on the preferred floor faced the amazing pools, which was beautiful and peaceful. We found the adult pool, no one under 21 admitted, and hung out there for the following days. It is just off the other pools, but overlooks the hill country. We were very surprised how quiet it was just feet away from the other pools, very relaxing! The gray cushions on the chaise lounges around the pool are more plush than some other Westin resorts, an added plus.
This property offers valet or self park, I chose valet and was never disappointed when I called for my car, they seem to have this service perfected.
As a 4 Star owner and elite members, we were given access to the Hacienda Club lounge on the 7th floor for continental breakfast and appetizers and wine or beer in the evening. The appetizers were boring, olives and cold olive oil soaked cut veggies every night and a candy bar (guess this is for the kids) the continental breakfast was nothing special either, bagel, toast, oatmeal and a few pastries along with coffee and orange juice. There were many families with children running around in the club lounge, we have kids so it did not disturb us, however there were guests there on business that were not pleased. The club lounge in Westin in NY and Sheraton Norfolk, VA have obviously spoiled us.
Our overall experience was very nice, we will definitely give this property another visit and would recommend it to our family and friends.

1  Thank NGerding
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My family had a great weekend staying at the Westin La Cantera. We were given excellent customer service and enjoyed a relaxing day by the pool!! An employee, Adrian Coronado, went out of his way to make our experience at this hotel to be the best. We will definitely be going back to spend more family weekends at this hotel.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

Service is most definitely a priority at this beautiful resort. From the moment we arrived, I was treated special by every employee we came in contact with. We arrived early, so our room wasn't ready, but I received a card so we could order food or drinks and have it charged to the room. We were able to enjoy the amazing pool while we waited and we received a phone call as soon as the room was ready. Our room was spacious, clean, soothing, with a great bed and a top notch bathroom with double sinks. The location in the hills of San Antonio is just beautiful, and a quick 15 minute drive from the city. The adult pool was our favorite place to hang out and the hot tub overlooks the golf course down in the valley. Very relaxing! I would definitely recommend this hotel to families, couples and singles alike.

Room Tip: I requested a quiet room with a nice view, and I received a room overlooking the courtyard and fish...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I just wanted to share what an amazing experience we had at La Cantera in San Antonio, Texas. First of all, the accomodations were absolutely wonderful! The beds were truely heavenly, just as they had advertised. Everything was very clean. The employees were so polite and helpful. Everyone we came in contact with went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. My children LOVED the pool area. I LOVED the view. There were many areas on the grounds to get the perfect picture. My husband played golf and said that the course was fabulous. He said that the views from the golf course were absolutely breath taking. Of course the location of the resort was nice as well. Having the shuttle to Fiesta Texas was a nice perk. It is a very short drive to Sea World, Riverwalk, and other San Antonio attractions. I do not have one thing at all to complain about. It was one of the best, most relaxing, enjoyable vacations I have ever had. I felt very pampered. I will return. La Cantera will be at the top of my list for another San Antonio vacation.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

Traveling for work, I found myself at the Westin La Cantera Resort, in San Antonio, TX for three days. Having stayed at other Westin resorts in the previous weeks, I found the La Cantera one of the better estates. Positioned on a scenic ridge overlooking the sprawl of San Antonio, the main building/lobby were designed to be large, open and bright offering a feeling of welcoming grandeur of flow, space and scale.

My room at the La Cantera was spacious. I had stayed at another Westin resort just the previous week and the La Cantera room was much larger, allowing me more room to prepare for my job. The bathroom was very nice and large. Everything was as expected for a nice hotel. I initially had trouble connecting to the internet service, but they had 24/7 technical support that took about five minutes to get me up and running. Maybe the fastest tech assistance I've had in awhile. The television was a more traditional set-up, lacking the digital menu 'on-demand' like system found at other Westin's, however, I spent very little time watching television, as there was many better options to do while staying at the La Cantera.

For instance, Brannon's Cafe and Steinheimer's Bar.

Both great when needing to get out of the room and enjoying what the hotel experience has to offer. The hotel atmosphere is always of active coming and goings. The La Cantera offers many great things to do, including the multiple pools and golf course, which the La Cantera is known for. But if you don't feel like going out and playing eighteen holes or going swimming, the cafe and it's patio are great alternatives to enjoy part of your day.

Open early, I had my best meal at the Westin at Brannon's cafe patio. Breakfast being my favorite meal, I sat out on the patio at sunrise and enjoyed an amazing eggs benedict. My server, Victor, might have been the nicest and the fastest server I had encountered during my stay. Working the early shift, he was as fast and as attentive as if it were peak traffic hours at lunch or dinner. Sunrise on the patio is a great way to end a long night or start an early day.

Also among the Brannon's staff, there was the very beautiful and ever-friendly hostess, Hayley. She always made sure everything went perfectly and would remember guest names from when they arrived, and happily address them when saying goodbye as they leave.

Coincidentally enough, I would usually have a small bite from the bar menu and a couple drinks every-night at the Steinhammer's Bar, and while talking to another wonderful server, Hannah, I found she and the wonderful hostess from Brannon's, Hayley, were sisters! Hannah was just as wonderful as her sister, and is a fantastic server. Steinhammer's has a couple of local beers, which was great because I always like to take in the local flavors. The local brewery is called 'Real Ale', I believe, and I tried all three types offered while at Steinhammer's. My favorite one is 'Pheonix Ale'. Another positive about Steinhammer's is that the establishment is 21 and over, so it tends to be more lounge like.

The last great thing about the hotel, is perhaps the use of golf carts to get around the grounds. Another co-worker received an upgrade to one of the eleven exclusive rooms in the Casita Village. Along with the room, he was given a golf cart to get around while he stayed at the hotel. It was a great convenience and fun, and I would surely recommend it.

My experience was very positive. I very much always enjoy Westin's green-initiative policy, where for everyday a guest declines house keeping, they are given a $5 gift card for the hotel. Being just myself in the hotel room, I always had three or four of each type of towel, so I could comfortably go a couple days without needing a new one, and go to the Starbucks inside the hotel and use my $5 gift-card every morning.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The main floor is the third floor... so know that the 2nd floor is actually below the lobby... all n...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business