Traveling for work, I found myself at the Westin La Cantera Resort, in San Antonio, TX for three days. Having stayed at other Westin resorts in the previous weeks, I found the La Cantera one of the better estates. Positioned on a scenic ridge overlooking the sprawl of San Antonio, the main building/lobby were designed to be large, open and bright offering a feeling of welcoming grandeur of flow, space and scale.
My room at the La Cantera was spacious. I had stayed at another Westin resort just the previous week and the La Cantera room was much larger, allowing me more room to prepare for my job. The bathroom was very nice and large. Everything was as expected for a nice hotel. I initially had trouble connecting to the internet service, but they had 24/7 technical support that took about five minutes to get me up and running. Maybe the fastest tech assistance I've had in awhile. The television was a more traditional set-up, lacking the digital menu 'on-demand' like system found at other Westin's, however, I spent very little time watching television, as there was many better options to do while staying at the La Cantera.
For instance, Brannon's Cafe and Steinheimer's Bar.
Both great when needing to get out of the room and enjoying what the hotel experience has to offer. The hotel atmosphere is always of active coming and goings. The La Cantera offers many great things to do, including the multiple pools and golf course, which the La Cantera is known for. But if you don't feel like going out and playing eighteen holes or going swimming, the cafe and it's patio are great alternatives to enjoy part of your day.
Open early, I had my best meal at the Westin at Brannon's cafe patio. Breakfast being my favorite meal, I sat out on the patio at sunrise and enjoyed an amazing eggs benedict. My server, Victor, might have been the nicest and the fastest server I had encountered during my stay. Working the early shift, he was as fast and as attentive as if it were peak traffic hours at lunch or dinner. Sunrise on the patio is a great way to end a long night or start an early day.
Also among the Brannon's staff, there was the very beautiful and ever-friendly hostess, Hayley. She always made sure everything went perfectly and would remember guest names from when they arrived, and happily address them when saying goodbye as they leave.
Coincidentally enough, I would usually have a small bite from the bar menu and a couple drinks every-night at the Steinhammer's Bar, and while talking to another wonderful server, Hannah, I found she and the wonderful hostess from Brannon's, Hayley, were sisters! Hannah was just as wonderful as her sister, and is a fantastic server. Steinhammer's has a couple of local beers, which was great because I always like to take in the local flavors. The local brewery is called 'Real Ale', I believe, and I tried all three types offered while at Steinhammer's. My favorite one is 'Pheonix Ale'. Another positive about Steinhammer's is that the establishment is 21 and over, so it tends to be more lounge like.
The last great thing about the hotel, is perhaps the use of golf carts to get around the grounds. Another co-worker received an upgrade to one of the eleven exclusive rooms in the Casita Village. Along with the room, he was given a golf cart to get around while he stayed at the hotel. It was a great convenience and fun, and I would surely recommend it.
My experience was very positive. I very much always enjoy Westin's green-initiative policy, where for everyday a guest declines house keeping, they are given a $5 gift card for the hotel. Being just myself in the hotel room, I always had three or four of each type of towel, so I could comfortably go a couple days without needing a new one, and go to the Starbucks inside the hotel and use my $5 gift-card every morning.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Cantera Resort & Spa is a 550 acre hill country oasis atop one of the highest points in San Antonio and is centrally located to the finest attractions the city has to offer. Luxurious accommodations offer every amenity in addition to separate adult and family friendly pools, Loma de Vida Spa & Wellness and 36 holes of on-site championship golf. Less than a mile away with complimentary transportation are the Shops at La Cantera with a variety of luxury shopping and dining options, The Rim shopping center, and Six Flags Fiesta Texas. Additionally, SeaWorld, downtown San Antonio, the airport and hill country adventures like antiquing, and wine tours are 20 minutes away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelPower, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone and getaroom.com so you can book your La Cantera Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin La Cantera Hotel San Antonio
- Westin Cantera Hotel
- La Cantera San Antonio
- Westin La Cantera Resort
- Westin San Antonio
- San Antonio Westin
- The Westin La Cantera Resort San Antonio