“Great hotel design, service, and experience.”

La Cantera Resort & Spa
Ranked #27 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Traveling for work, I found myself at the Westin La Cantera Resort, in San Antonio, TX for three days. Having stayed at other Westin resorts in the previous weeks, I found the La Cantera one of the better estates. Positioned on a scenic ridge overlooking the sprawl of San Antonio, the main building/lobby were designed to be large, open and bright offering a feeling of welcoming grandeur of flow, space and scale.

My room at the La Cantera was spacious. I had stayed at another Westin resort just the previous week and the La Cantera room was much larger, allowing me more room to prepare for my job. The bathroom was very nice and large. Everything was as expected for a nice hotel. I initially had trouble connecting to the internet service, but they had 24/7 technical support that took about five minutes to get me up and running. Maybe the fastest tech assistance I've had in awhile. The television was a more traditional set-up, lacking the digital menu 'on-demand' like system found at other Westin's, however, I spent very little time watching television, as there was many better options to do while staying at the La Cantera.

For instance, Brannon's Cafe and Steinheimer's Bar.

Both great when needing to get out of the room and enjoying what the hotel experience has to offer. The hotel atmosphere is always of active coming and goings. The La Cantera offers many great things to do, including the multiple pools and golf course, which the La Cantera is known for. But if you don't feel like going out and playing eighteen holes or going swimming, the cafe and it's patio are great alternatives to enjoy part of your day.

Open early, I had my best meal at the Westin at Brannon's cafe patio. Breakfast being my favorite meal, I sat out on the patio at sunrise and enjoyed an amazing eggs benedict. My server, Victor, might have been the nicest and the fastest server I had encountered during my stay. Working the early shift, he was as fast and as attentive as if it were peak traffic hours at lunch or dinner. Sunrise on the patio is a great way to end a long night or start an early day.

Also among the Brannon's staff, there was the very beautiful and ever-friendly hostess, Hayley. She always made sure everything went perfectly and would remember guest names from when they arrived, and happily address them when saying goodbye as they leave.

Coincidentally enough, I would usually have a small bite from the bar menu and a couple drinks every-night at the Steinhammer's Bar, and while talking to another wonderful server, Hannah, I found she and the wonderful hostess from Brannon's, Hayley, were sisters! Hannah was just as wonderful as her sister, and is a fantastic server. Steinhammer's has a couple of local beers, which was great because I always like to take in the local flavors. The local brewery is called 'Real Ale', I believe, and I tried all three types offered while at Steinhammer's. My favorite one is 'Pheonix Ale'. Another positive about Steinhammer's is that the establishment is 21 and over, so it tends to be more lounge like.

The last great thing about the hotel, is perhaps the use of golf carts to get around the grounds. Another co-worker received an upgrade to one of the eleven exclusive rooms in the Casita Village. Along with the room, he was given a golf cart to get around while he stayed at the hotel. It was a great convenience and fun, and I would surely recommend it.

My experience was very positive. I very much always enjoy Westin's green-initiative policy, where for everyday a guest declines house keeping, they are given a $5 gift card for the hotel. Being just myself in the hotel room, I always had three or four of each type of towel, so I could comfortably go a couple days without needing a new one, and go to the Starbucks inside the hotel and use my $5 gift-card every morning.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The main floor is the third floor... so know that the 2nd floor is actually below the lobby... all n...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for La Cantera Resort & Spa

Reviewed July 26, 2011

My family and I drove down to San Antonio for the weekend from Round Rock, and I had been here before but never with my family. I was surprised how the hotel could accomodate us so last minute and on a weekend no less.

There were many activities to keep my boys entertained and my wife relaxed. The food on site was amazing especially the Brannons breakfast which we went to every morning. To my surprise the boys loved the pool, but were more entrigued by the other activities held. Especially the game room, which had several various game systems and games to keep every age group of kid entertained. Stephanie, the attendent in the room was amazing with my boys. She helped them, made them feel included and was very down to earth. She was able to keep them in good spirits even while playing with them. This Is just one of many of the great staff that really made us feel like we were at our home away from home.

Money well spent for a quick weekend get away.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

We stayed there for 3 night this July and had a blast! The kids loved all of the activities, the nightly movie on the lawn, etc. The pools are very nice although a bit narrow and hard to navigate through the crowds at times and they don't have the lazy river which other resorts in San Antonio do offer. They offer very regular shuttles to and from Six Flags Fiesta Texas. The golf course is one of my absolute favourites. Great restuarants within 2 miles drive.

On a more personal level, the front desk staff was very accomodating with us. It was our first trip to their resort and with just a little cajoling they gave us a ground floor "suite" that walked out directly to the hottub. The wife was very happy with that, as the regular room is very "regular".

We will definitely consider La Cantera for future trips.

Room Tip: if possible stay during weekdays during the summer, and ask for an upgraded room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2011

The rooms were amazing and the service was great. We Had top notch service from the food and beverage people, especially at the bar called steinhemiers. Hannah was the best. Can't recommend this Westin enough.

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Got a breakfast/hill country view/4PM late checkout room for Saturday night that was almost $400 after taxes, etc. Room was 3353 ... breakfast was average (had better hot breakfasts for free at Drury hotels) ... view was partial tennis court, parking lot and hill country ... had to request late checkout and was given 2PM instead of 4PM.

Our kids were 5 and 9 ... the five year old likes the shallow part of the pool, but that also happens to be the part that leads from the waterfall pool to the other two pools that were too deep for him. Other kids in his age range also likes that area, so you have a bunch of kids and parents in a narrow area that's already crowded ... then you have traffic that goes through that area from people crossing between pools as well. So it can get pretty crowded. There's a separate kiddie pool but that's primarily for toddlers. Didn't like how the pools are laid out .... I prefer a large zero entry pool area for the small kids.

Breakfast buffet was average at best ... poolside food was pretty good though.

The smores activity at the pool was nice and very well organized and there was no extra charge. There were other activities scheduled throughout the day that looks appealing to kids as well, but we didn't get a chance to attend.

I requested a room near the pool ... it was located at the far end of

The room was clean, bed was on the firm side .... wouldn't call it "heavenly" though. Bathroom was clean and nicely appointed. The "heavenly" shower had dual shower heads, which was nice.

Saw an ant on the carpet Saturday night after we went to the pool ... saw some more Sunday before we checked out ... not sure if they were in the room or we brought them from the pool. We were in a hurry and didn't notify the front desk about the ants. You may want to keep an eye out for them.

We like traveling with our kids and are willing to splurge occasionally to try new places. We've been to many resorts and the Westin La Cantera is decent but not worth almost $400 a night. We're going to try the Hyatt resorts next time.

Room Tip: Stay in far end of west wing for easy pool and parking lot access.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
LauraAplin, Public Relations Manager at La Cantera Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2011

Dear bikinibottomdweller:

Thank you for staying with us and being so candid with your review. We do take your comments to heart and do apologize that your stay was not all that you expected.

With regards to spotting ants on the carpet, we do appreciate your feedback on this and have alerted our engineering department about this as we have a full comprehensive pest control system in place.

If possible, please do reach out to me at laura.aplin@westin.com so that we can address your issues directly and get more information from you.

In the meantime, we hope you continue to enjoy the rest of your summer.

Stay well.

Reviewed July 24, 2011

My family and I were here for a CMAA conference and we spent most of our time at the pool. For most of the time I was on the slide having fun with Sadie.

Reviewed July 23, 2011

Great Views and Great Service on the Course.. Bailey Bowling was first class and on point with food and beverages for the kids and us adults...

Room Tip: Just Call Front Desk
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple