“A very good value in a good location”

Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport/North Star Mall
Ranked #100 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weekend nights in Feburary. Our room was very clean and included a small refrigerator. The staff was friendly and helpful even on the 1st night when the hotel was completely sold out. There are many restaurants and stores within 1 mile of the hotel. It's only a 10-15 minute drive from the hotel to the Riverwalk and Downtown. We highly recommend this hotel if you are travelling to San Antonio on a budget.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
GM_FFIS_SA_AIR, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport/North Star Mall, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in San Antonio!

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I needed a hotel close to the airport with shuttle service and this fit the bill. Rooms are a little old but really they have everything you need. It was clean, has a refrigerator, microwave and a seating area separate from the bed. The service was friendly and prompt from check in to calling for the shuttle the next morning. They also came through with a corkscrew and free water when we needed it. Faced with the same situation, I would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We understand that our hotel is a little older, and we are looking forward to the renovation that is scheduled for early 2015. We are glad that we were able to satisfy your needs while you were here. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in San Antonio!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

...for both the weather & my stay.

It's an older property, so it shows its age here and there. There have been some upgrades, but there's only so much you can do within the existing walls.

A few misses: the north stairwell had an unpleasant odor. A high-pitch noise from inside the wall was annoying. Not sure if it was plumbing, pool, or HVAC related? The elevator was as slow as molasses.

Breakfast service attention unlike you'll experience even at full-service restaurants. Gets crowded easily in a small area.

Pricing is appropriate, and there are nearby restaurants within walking distance.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
GM_FFIS_SA_AIR, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport/North Star Mall, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Thank your for reviewing our hotel. We take all feedback seriously, and will work to investigate the issues that you encountered during your stay to ensure that they do not happen again. I am not sure what the odor was unless you were here during the painting of the stairwells. I will also have our maintenance person look into the noise you mentioned. I apologize about the elevator being slow. With the number of people in the hotel, that does sometimes happen. I hope that you will come back and give us another opportunity to WOW you if your travels bring you back to San Antonio.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

The Good - I have stayed at dozens and dozens of Marriott properties. I have never come across great service like exhibited by Mary Helen at breakfast. Even though this was a Fairfield, her level of service was far above even what I encounter in the concierge lounges in full service Marriott's.
As a business traveler I eat breakfast quickly. During my 15 minutes I saw Mary Helen make a giant pot of coffee, provide every person napkins and plastic-ware, make three waffles for patrons while they waited, bring everyone a water. They should put in a glass window and have Marriott staff come and get trained by watching her. All that with a smile while asking if you need anything. No wonder I saw several guests hug her hello and good by... in 15 minutes.

The Bad - This hotel is weary and worn. The lobby furniture is stained and everything else is correspondingly dirty. Chair in my room had remnants of a pee stain. Love seat had one cushion backwards, was afraid to touch based on what I saw on the exposed side, who knows what was lurking on the other side. Towels had stains, pillow cushions stained. If I wasn't dog tired and only staying one night I would have went somewhere else.

Would not stay again unless it is refurbished.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

I have received the comments from your stay with us, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced of felt during your stay with us. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know about your experience here as we will use it as feedback to improve our service.

I understand that our hotel is in need of some updating, and we are in the process of scheduling a renovation in the beginning of 2015. This does not however excuse any of the cleanliness issues that you mentioned in your review. I will be addressing these issues with our housekeeping staff. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do to assist you. We hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I am a Marriott Elite member and I would not stay at any other Hotel in San Antonio Tx because it is so convenient to everything you need.They have a great staff at the front desk and Mary that prepares breakfast is so sweet.And your surroundings have great restaurants and of course the North Star Mall...I will always go back and stay at the Fairfield Inn!

Room Tip: Corner Suites are very quite
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel and Mary our breakfast hostess. I will be sharing your comments with her. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to San Antonio!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Great location and at a very good price. Nora at the front desk was exceptional and very accommodating. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. Easy walking to a couple good restaurant's. Great value, I will go back for business or pleasure

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very excited that we were able to help you enjoy your stay in San Antonio. I will definitely be sharing your comments with the team including Nora. We hope that we will get a chance to serve you again the next time you are in San Antonio!

Reviewed February 27, 2014

If you've read any of the reviews, you've already found out about Mary Helen. She is the main reason why I stay at this hotel each time I'm in San Antonio. She starts your day off right and gets you in a good mood. She is friendly and attentive when it comes to serving the guests. The rest of the staff is very friendly as well. It's hard to find a hotel with a staff as attentive as the staff here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thanks for reviewing our hotel and your kind comments about our staff. We take taking care of our guests very seriously. I am glad that Mary Helen helps you start your day with a smile. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in San Antonio!