“Worst Marriott Stay Ever”

Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport/North Star Mall
Ranked #134 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
The Woodlands, Texas, United States
“Worst Marriott Stay Ever”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I am a huge fan of the Marriott brand and stay with Marriott whenever I can. I booked this hotel because of its location and price. When we arrived, we could not find a place to park our car so that we could check in. Apparently the local Pappadeauxs was hopping and between them and the Courtyard who shares the small parking lot, there were no spaces available. When I pulled up in front of the hotel and went in to check in, I met the most arrogant, non-caring desk clerk I had ever encountered at a Marriott. He told me that "Pappadeauxs isn't open all night, so there will eventually be a place to park." How in the world does that help me when I am tired and want to check in to the room I had purchased? The other really poor marks for this experience was the breakfast. If you think their parking lot is undersized, you should see the breakfast area! What an incredible disappointment. "What do you want me to do about the parking lot?" was the question I was asked by the night clerk. To begin with, I would put up signs in my parking lot designating spaces that belong to the hotel and not to be used by other local businesses. Then I would hire security on days when the restaurants are expected to be busy to ensure that my customers can actually park at the hotel. Then I would reaquaint my desk staff with the concept of customer service and remind them that being snarky with elite reward members, or any other customer for that matter, is not the way to encourage brand loyalty.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
GM_FFIS_SA_AIR, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport/North Star Mall, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
I have received the comments from your stay with us, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced or felt during your stay with us. I appreciate you taking the time to let me know about your experience here as we will use it as feedback to improve our service.

I have contacted Pappadeaux to try to find a solution to the parking problem that you encountered while you were here. I have also talked with our associates, and used your comments as a source of training for our staff.

Marriott strives to be the most courteous and respectful lines of hotels, making each guest feel welcomed and comfortable. I feel like we failed in fulfilling this promise to you. I do hope, however, that you will allow me and my staff to make it up to you. As the General Manager of this hotel, my goal is to inspire my entire staff to go above and beyond your expectations. Please contact me if there is anything that we can do to assist you. I do hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

I would like to make this up to you in some way if possible. Please let me know if there is anything more that I can do to address these issues. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if there is anything else that I can assist you with.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Hotel starting to show its age but overall I was happy with my stay. The staff is very friendly especially the lady who runs the breakfast. I think her name is Maria. Hotel is located close to the airport. Good value overall.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
GM_FFIS_SA_AIR, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites San Antonio Airport/North Star Mall, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are looking forward to serving you the next time you are in town! I will be passing your comments along to Mary Helen in the breakfast area.
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight during a business trip. Convenient to the airport and the 410 highway, on the service road. It as clean and quiet. Hot breakfast was very good. Good eggs along with pork patties, which we tender, not overlooked. Didn't have the pot of oatmeal, maybe it's not popular in San Antonio's sixty degree winter days. Very satisfied. Would return.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to post your comments about our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in San Antonio!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Spent one night, on our way to Florida. Very clean and comfortable. Great pillows. And probably the best water pressure on any shower head I've been in. I did not want to get out of the shower. And Mariana in the breakfast area was fantastic!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! Please keep us in mind the next time you are in San Antonio!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I had a two day visit to the city and was most impressed by the staff I encountered at the property. Then knew the hotel, recognized guests and asked about their day in a very personable encounter. This ranged from shuttle drivers to three different front desk staff to the breakfast staff. All helped me make my visit work perfectly. Thanks.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments. We take alot of pride in what we do and work hard to make sure that all of our guests enjoy their stay with us. I am glad that this was the case with you. We look forward to serving you the next time you are in town!
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

With the location being tucked away off of the highway and behind another hotel, the location was very quiet and restful. Very close to airport yet not noisy. Shuttle on demand was prompt. Staff very friendly.

• Stayed January 2014
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully we will see you the next time you are in San Antonio!
Cedar Park, Texas
Reviewed January 10, 2014

The room and hotel was very clean, staff very friendly and courteous! When I got there I was immediately greeted and got my room very quickly! The breakfast was also great! Good selection, and food was fresh!

Room Tip: Choose a room that is away from the elevator or ice machine